Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 307159 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: November 25, 2007, 11:26:29 AM »

I would like to thank all senators who voted against crippling the economy and small businesses with another minimum wage increase, however, I am holding out hope the president will veto this bill.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #626 on: November 25, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »

I would like to thank all senators who voted against crippling the economy and small businesses with another minimum wage increase

Can we please stop feeding this myth that minimum wages cripple the economy?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #627 on: November 25, 2007, 08:52:03 PM »

I would like to thank all senators who voted against crippling the economy and small businesses with another minimum wage increase

Tell that to people who are layed-off because the employer can't afford two employees at the rate they are receiving now and must fire someone.  The problem with the minimum wage is it effects all workers, even those high school and college students just looking for a few extra bucks.  The drive up in the minimum wage also increases the demand for illegal immigration which I would suspect is the hidden motive for this bill I presume.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #628 on: November 25, 2007, 09:01:15 PM »

Tell that to people who are layed-off because the employer can't afford two employees at the rate they are receiving now and must fire someone.  The problem with the minimum wage is it effects all workers, even those high school and college students just looking for a few extra bucks.  The drive up in the minimum wage also increases the demand for illegal immigration which I would suspect is the hidden motive for this bill I presume.

Given that it only increases the minimum wage in DC and the territories, neither of which is well-known for being a hub of illegal immigration, your claim must be assumed to be entirely spurious even were Ebowed inclined to be so malign.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #629 on: November 26, 2007, 08:44:41 PM »

Touche Speedy on bringing that up Wink

I shouldn't have mentioned it, but hopefully the senate can have a fun conservation on that if things change
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #630 on: November 26, 2007, 08:49:16 PM »

Touche Speedy on bringing that up Wink

I shouldn't have mentioned it, but hopefully the senate can have a fun conservation on that if things change
Bringing what up? This bill has no connection to bills of past. Wink

I hope so too. I have made some changes that I felt were necessary. See if you can pick them out.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #631 on: November 26, 2007, 08:55:23 PM »

By the way, Speedy, since the Governors were faster than feared in passing a districts map, we don't need the Second November-December Act; it could be withdrawn.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #632 on: November 29, 2007, 12:53:56 PM »

I ask that the Atlasia-Peru bill be removed based on this past bill: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/South_American_Free_Trade_Act which already has given Atlasia and Peru free trade with each other.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #633 on: November 29, 2007, 04:21:27 PM »

I kindly request that Sen. Ebowed withdrew some of his less important bills so that other senators bill have a chance to come up
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #634 on: November 29, 2007, 04:57:20 PM »

I ask that the Atlasia-Peru bill be removed based on this past bill: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/South_American_Free_Trade_Act which already has given Atlasia and Peru free trade with each other.

Thanks for pointing that out.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #635 on: November 29, 2007, 11:57:06 PM »

Well you still need to withdraw it. Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #636 on: November 29, 2007, 11:57:57 PM »

Well you still need to withdraw it. Tongue

I did already.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #637 on: December 04, 2007, 10:18:24 PM »

I cannot say I am particuarly in favor of Sen. Ebowed's comprehensive drug reform.  It is too non-specific and does not say how we will regulate the sale of these drugs.  I hope it gets fixed up to the point where it is something to work with.  I am glad, however, that I have brought ending the War on Drugs to the forefront again
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #638 on: December 04, 2007, 10:19:59 PM »

I cannot say I am particuarly in favor of Sen. Ebowed's comprehensive drug reform.  It is too non-specific and does not say how we will regulate the sale of these drugs.  I hope it gets fixed up to the point where it is something to work with.  I am glad, however, that I have brought ending the War on Drugs to the forefront again

It's not finished, I just got bored of writing it.  I know there will have to be many more sections like regulation, taxation, and restrictions and so on.  I just posted that so I could finish it later.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #639 on: December 04, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »

It's not finished, I just got bored of writing it.  I know there will have to be many more sections like regulation, taxation, and restrictions and so on.  I just posted that so I could finish it later.
Aren't you concerned though that the senate may cut out a long list of the drugs you mentioned?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #640 on: December 04, 2007, 10:24:46 PM »

Aren't you concerned though that the senate may cut out a long list of the drugs you mentioned?

I'd be curious to see what exactly the Senators know about each of the drugs mentioned.

BTW that list doesn't legalize everything which is currently illegal ('scheduled') in the US/Atlasian law.  But it covers the stuff that people shouldn't be in trouble for.

Even if they cut out some of the drugs in the list, I hope we can agree to end the practice of incarcerating someone whose sole violation is drug use.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #641 on: December 04, 2007, 10:25:41 PM »

I'd be curious to see what exactly the Senators know about each of the drugs mentioned.

BTW that list doesn't legalize everything which is currently illegal ('scheduled') in the US/Atlasian law.  But it covers the stuff that people shouldn't be in trouble for.

Even if they cut out some of the drugs in the list, I hope we can agree to end the practice of incarcerating someone whose sole violation is drug use.
How bout a bill that did nothing but end incarcerations for people found with drugs? 
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #642 on: December 04, 2007, 10:26:54 PM »

How bout a bill that did nothing but end incarcerations for people found with drugs? 

Because we can seriously cut dangerous crime, and fatalities from drug overdoses, if we legalize hard drugs and I hope to convince the Senate of that.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #643 on: December 04, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »

Because we can seriously cut dangerous crime, and fatalities from drug overdoses, if we legalize hard drugs and I hope to convince the Senate of that.
Well, the Decriminalization of LSD Bill is up very soon, that should be the first real test.  I ask that you support it in principle even if you think amendments should be made
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #644 on: December 06, 2007, 06:03:45 PM »

It appears the Decriminalization of LSD Bill is next on tap and Sam has withdrawn the Immigration Bill.  Let the fireworks begin and I plan to be very active on debate as I am the sponsor of the bill (wow what a backlog!)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #645 on: December 14, 2007, 06:30:48 PM »

I missed the debate the first time around and I am still unclear as to what the End to District Amendments does (more specifically what "proportional representation" means in this case)  Could someone give a brief explanation of how senators would be elected?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #646 on: December 14, 2007, 06:43:19 PM »

As far as I know, STV.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #647 on: December 14, 2007, 07:07:12 PM »

I missed the debate the first time around and I am still unclear as to what the End to District Amendments does (more specifically what "proportional representation" means in this case)  Could someone give a brief explanation of how senators would be elected?

The form of proportional representation which would be implemented would be STV.

The below quote (taken from this thread which may be of use) contains a number of useful links.

Those unfamiliar with STV may find benefit from the following links:

Wikipedia

I'd also recommend the British Columbia Citizen's Assembly on Electoral Reform site. This contains a number of helpful guides, such as BC-STV Counting.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #648 on: March 10, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »

I will be opposing the SoFA amendment as well.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #649 on: March 23, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »

The Death with Dignity Act is probably unconstitutional unless someone can find me a constitutional power of the Senate that allows for that to be regulated by this body. Unless we are now just assuming that all laws like that are only to apply to DC and the federal territories.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies