Canadian Americans 1930 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:32:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Canadian Americans 1930 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Americans 1930  (Read 1649 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« on: September 25, 2016, 05:44:54 PM »

lol! The Bruins are not the most popular team in Atlantic Canada. They are a distant 3rd behind the Habs and the Leafs (I've done polling to back this up). And the Red Sox are only popular with olds. Overall, I'd say there are still more Jays fans.
What about Red Wings and Sabres fans in southern Ontario?  Or for that matter, Lions and Tigers, oh my!
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:27:55 PM »

lol! The Bruins are not the most popular team in Atlantic Canada. They are a distant 3rd behind the Habs and the Leafs (I've done polling to back this up). And the Red Sox are only popular with olds. Overall, I'd say there are still more Jays fans.
What about Red Wings and Sabres fans in southern Ontario?  Or for that matter, Lions and Tigers, oh my!

Essex County (Windsor area) has an even Red Wings / Leafs split. The further away you get the weaker the support for the Wings is (and the stronger the Leafs support is).

Sabres support is near non existent. I've heard of Sabres fans in the Niagara Region, but our polling doesn't back it up. It's mostly Leafs country.

From what I've seen from Facebook stats, Essex County supports the Tigers. No idea about NFL support, but I'd imagine it's (Detroit) Lions country, since there are no Canadian teams. Much of southern Ontario doesn't care about the CFL, so I'd imagine there are far more Lions fans than of any CFL team.
My g-grandmother who would have been in the 1930 US Census, emigrated from Southern Ontario (about 50 miles north of London, 50 miles WNW of Kitchener). I see London and Kitchener are kind of on the list for a CFL franchise, but behind the Maritimes, Quebec City, Saskatoon, and Victoria, but nobody seems to want to upgrade a stadium. London appears to be favored over Kitchener because it is further from Hamilton (and Toronto).
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:55:07 PM »

From the 1931 Canadian census.

Born in Newfoundland:  26,410

Nova Scotia  11,569
Ontario  6,076
Quebec  4,330

The largest concentration of Newfoundlanders was Cape Breton where 6,970 lived (7.5% of the population).  Sydney had 2,166 (9.4%).  Halifax (2,598), Montreal (2,278) an Toronto (2,784) had similar numbers.  

Born in Maritimes

Ontario  21,329 (11,739 in Nova Scotia, 7,939 in New Brunswick, 1,651 in PEI)
Quebec  18,881 (11,499 in New Brunswick, 6,418 in New Brunswick, 964 in PEI)
I assume 6,418 from Nova Scotia, with more Francophones from New Brunswick moving to Quebec?

Montreal  8,258 (4,305 in New Brunswick, 3,512 in Nova Scotia, 441 in PEI)
This would mean 7,194 NB to Quebec outside Montreal, vs. 2,906 NS to Quebec outside Montreal. Someone who was an Anglophone could function in Montreal, less so outside, except the English counties. Does the census have breakdowns to other areas of Quebec?

Has the Francophone share of NB declined over time?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies