gay marriage effectively legalized in Mexico (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:11:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  gay marriage effectively legalized in Mexico (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: gay marriage effectively legalized in Mexico  (Read 947 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: June 12, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »

Better than nothing...though hopefully it will be legalized in the same manner as straight marriage.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:27:21 AM »

Better than nothing...though hopefully it will be legalized in the same manner as straight marriage.

Well, that requires state-by-state legislative action. Gay marriage is fully legal in Mexico City and in the state of Quintana Roo (including Cancun). In several other states there is "civil union" legislation. Marriage is regulated at state level - so federal legislation is unlikely. And, unfortunately, Supreme Court decisions in amparo cases do not create precedent binding on the executive authority - that is the inherent difference with the US. The Supreme Court has created all the jurisprudence it can in this case. Unless, I guess, the presidency or the Congress ask for a a precedential ruling, there is nothing more it can do. And, gay marriage not being a major issue in local politics, and with every couple that cares about it already able to get married, there is unlikely to be enough pressure for that. What is more likely, that some of the other states, actually, adopt legislation to conform with the judiciary rulings. But, most certainly, there will be states where one would have to get an amparo for every wedding. It would not be very hard to get, though.

You should post more Mexican happenings...it is so ignored and it shouldnt be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies