Huey Long Lives!: Gov. JBE discussion thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:14:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Huey Long Lives!: Gov. JBE discussion thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huey Long Lives!: Gov. JBE discussion thread  (Read 8748 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: December 28, 2015, 03:50:59 AM »

^ If i remember correctly Speedy was an "old school" conservative Democrat, quite good for 1960th Louisiana, but Gillis was more of progressive type, better suited for his not especially conservative district of 1970th and 1980th. But a progressism here has it's limits - in 1986 district refused to elect liberal Black Democratic candidate (Faye Williams) and elected very conservative Republican (Clyde Holloway) instead...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:58:14 AM »

I came really admire JBE character during campaign. Hope he stays the same during all period of governorship...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »

JBE is dealt something if a blow on his first day, as his choice for Speaker, Walt Leger, will stay as Speaker Pro Temp instead. Taylor Barras (R) will be Speaker.

Barras is forner conservative Democrat as i remember? Still - no Cameron Henry...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:25:17 PM »

Republicans have nothing to gloat - if neccessary JBE can always use veto pen. And it will always be sustained. In addition - Vitter's camp, that wanted Henry, was defeated much more convincingly then Edwards, and Barras, as former conservative Democrat and now "moderate" (by Louisiana standards) Republican, is acceptable to him. But he could do better offering as his candidate for speaker somewhat more conservative and more rural Democrat. Gisclair, Hill, Thibaut and Danahay come to mind immediately...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 03:17:12 AM »

Republicans have nothing to gloat - if neccessary JBE can always use veto pen. And it will always be sustained. In addition - Vitter's camp, that wanted Henry, was defeated much more convincingly then Edwards, and Barras, as former conservative Democrat and now "moderate" (by Louisiana standards) Republican, is acceptable to him. But he could do better offering as his candidate for speaker somewhat more conservative and more rural Democrat. Gisclair, Hill, Thibaut and Danahay come to mind immediately...

Again, it isn't about the ideology of the Speaker. It is about the ability to dole out committee assignments as a system of rewards and punishments. That threat held over the head of every Republican is over.

Bob, i know from my RRH days how much you like Republicans and how little - Democrats. I, on the other hand, is not a big fan of either)))))
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 04:46:24 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2016, 09:27:43 AM by Brittain33 »

^ Clifford Case, Jacob Javits, Wayne Gilchrist and many many other. THAT's how Republican party treats it's mavericks. You tried to defeat Charles Whalen and Charles Mathias (my role model in politics, BTW) in the past. Unsuccessfully, but - tried. I can add dozens if not hundreds similar names from state legislatures. THAT's how Republican party treats it's mavericks.. Whom do you try to deceive, Bob?

Not that i would say that Democratic party is much better then Republican in that aspect. But still - slightly better: it tolerated most of their southern conservatives and such persons as Boren, Matheson and McIntyre recently  for a long time. While you are unable to tolerate even Hanna, who is, really, not even a liberal, but simply moderate.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 12:54:55 AM »

Good first step.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 12:46:40 PM »

^ Yes, the most important committees went to "loyal Republicans" (read - Vitter's loyalists) or democrats like Abramson. Still think Edwards must propose more conservative Democrat (Danahay or Thibaut) as speaker.....
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 12:37:33 PM »

^ Yes, the most important committees went to "loyal Republicans" (read - Vitter's loyalists) or democrats like Abramson. Still think Edwards must propose more conservative Democrat (Danahay or Thibaut) as speaker.....
I could see Thibaut winning.

Danahay is usually considered to be even more conservative then Thibaut (even slightly more conservative then couple of Republicans), so he could be evem more acceptable to republicans
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 12:37:56 AM »

I could see Thibaut winning.

Danahay is usually considered to be even more conservative then Thibaut (even slightly more conservative then couple of Republicans), so he could be evem more acceptable to republicans
Danahay has less clout than Thibaut. The state's 15% of typical Republican-voting people who voted for Edwards will be swayed more by Thibaut and his name recognition than anything Danahay brings up.

Not sure. Both serve their last (third) term and thus - in almost identical position. Both have some name recognition. Danahay is somewhat closer to Republicans in views - that's a plus... But it's all theoretical now..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 04:10:47 AM »

Who is the tipping point voter in Louisiana's Senate/House?

IMHO - a pragmatic (not "ideological") conservative Republican. People like John Alario (now, As Republican) himself, or Ronnie Johns in Senate,  or Bryan Adams or Clay Schexnayder in House are all close to such voter. THE most conservative Democrats, like Francis Thompson or John Milkovich in Senate, or Mike Danahay in House are, probably, also close enough...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 12:44:00 AM »

Who is the tipping point voter in Louisiana's Senate/House?

IMHO - a pragmatic (not "ideological") conservative Republican. People like John Alario (now, As Republican) himself, or Ronnie Johns in Senate,  or Bryan Adams or Clay Schexnayder in House are all close to such voter. THE most conservative Democrats, like Francis Thompson or John Milkovich in Senate, or Mike Danahay in House are, probably, also close enough...

So, basically Kasich's agenda is the most left-wing thing Edwards and Dardenne can get passed?

IMHO - yes. Of course - there is some state specific, but - generally so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies