Jews Increasingly Questioning Circumcision Ritual (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:02:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Jews Increasingly Questioning Circumcision Ritual (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jews Increasingly Questioning Circumcision Ritual  (Read 1984 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: June 15, 2014, 09:10:44 PM »

Of all the myriad cases where a mainstream religion gets a free pass and people refuse to pass judgement because religion exists in a realm where critical thinking and reason dare not trespass, routine male genital disfigurement is the most thoroughly revolting.  To impose such an irreversable thing on a baby who, obviously cannot consent, should be a felony and cause for widespread social disgust. I don't know how people can willingly chose to ignore such a gross and commonplace violation of personal autonony.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »

Of all the myriad cases where a mainstream religion gets a free pass and people refuse to pass judgement because religion exists in a realm where critical thinking and reason dare not trespass, routine male genital disfigurement is the most thoroughly revolting.  To impose such an irreversable thing on a baby who, obviously cannot consent, should be a felony and cause for widespread social disgust. I don't know how people can willingly chose to ignore such a gross and commonplace violation of personal autonony.

Whoooa, easy there, sport! Hold your horses! Cool your jets! Don't hitch your wagon to a star!
I suppose the above quote will suffice when too lazy to form an actual rebuttal. Or when the situation is so clear cut that no reasonal rebuttal is plausible. Or are you actually going to defend routinely altering the genitals of babies just because religion says so?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »

Of all the myriad cases where a mainstream religion gets a free pass and people refuse to pass judgement because religion exists in a realm where critical thinking and reason dare not trespass, routine male genital disfigurement is the most thoroughly revolting.  To impose such an irreversable thing on a baby who, obviously cannot consent, should be a felony and cause for widespread social disgust. I don't know how people can willingly chose to ignore such a gross and commonplace violation of personal autonony.

Whoooa, easy there, sport! Hold your horses! Cool your jets! Don't hitch your wagon to a star!
I suppose the above quote will suffice when too lazy to form an actual rebuttal. Or when the situation is so clear cut that no reasonal rebuttal is plausible. Or are you actually going to defend routinely altering the genitals of babies just because religion says so?

It will suffice when my interlocutor is literally arguing for criminalizing an important ritual of at least one major religion, because sarcastic use of old-person cliches and posting in the Sage Garden without remark are all that such a stupefyingly disgusting suggestion deserves. On further reflection, should instead have said 'Poo-tee-weet?', but oh well, it's too late now.
Gotcha. You're not going to defend cutting off parts of babies genitals, even as some babies die from the procedure and others catch nasty diseases because the superstitious monsters who perfom the procedures sometimes don't have enough common sense to follow basic hygiene standards. Instead, you're just going to hide behind religion, which is exactly what I suspected you would. Never mind the horrid ethics involved. No thoughtful reflection required. It's a "religion", so game over. If millions of men must silently suffer with parts of their penises missing, that's a small price to pay so that you can smugly pat yourself on the back for blindly believing that religion must never be questioned because it is more important than personal autonomy.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »

Yes, the notion that routine genital mutilation of babies ought to be a crime is a bad joke. And in order to be free, the religious simply must cut off parts of babies' penises. Anything less would be tyranny. Un-Inksing-believable! Shall we bring back the castrati as well? Virgin sacrifice? Suttee? Divine rule of monarchs? As Nathan says, some must suffer to appease the religious.
If you want to alter your penis, I have no problem with that. It's yours, after all, and none of my business. All I'm asking if for other to leave alone the penises of babies. I don't think that's much to ask.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies