Regarding the current secession movement (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:20:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regarding the current secession movement (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regarding the current secession movement  (Read 4407 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: September 24, 2011, 09:25:38 AM »

You know until I read this thread I didn't really have an opinion on the matter.
Thanks for helping me decide.

I'm renouncing my Atlasian citizenship.

What're you jack booted fascist thugs going to do?  Kick my ass?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:46:38 AM »

I think Bacon King and Snowguy are overreacting. It's not like any of these declarations have any practical for constitutional meaning. When Al mounted his nationwide "revolution", the government did not care at all, although he was way more serious than these jokes. And now this?

Chill out, people. There's no crisis. You're inventing it.

Exactly.

And I for one will not be part of a state where fearmongering is the norm.

Therefore, I'm moving to Canada.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »

I do hope that the SoFE will take note of what persons will be ineligible to vote in next weekend's election, having renounced Atlasian citizenship.

Did you know?

Such tough guy statements would be effective if Mechaman gave a damn?

Because, *shocker* oh sh*t he doesn't.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »

I do hope that the SoFE will take note of what persons will be ineligible to vote in next weekend's election, having renounced Atlasian citizenship.

Did you know?

Mecha, I don't think Fritz's statement was intended to be personal at all. You quite obviously have to be a citizen to vote, no? Smiley

And I am just affirming that I am not afraid of losing the right to vote to make a political statement.
So yes, this isn't personal.  IT'S POLITICAL.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 03:50:07 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2011, 08:41:34 AM by Krist Novoselic, Certified God of Badasses »

Great job, tough guys. We just lost one of the coolest Atlasians ever Roll Eyes

Did you know?

Mecha, I don't think Fritz's statement was intended to be personal at all. You quite obviously have to be a citizen to vote, no? Smiley

And I am just affirming that I am not afraid of losing the right to vote to make a political statement.
So yes, this isn't personal.  IT'S POLITICAL.

Are you kidding me?  People renounce their citizenship by joining a secessionist movement and then get all butthurt because they cannot participate in Atlasian elections?  Seriously?

Get over it.  If you join a secessionist movement, you lost your right to vote and hold office in Atlasia.  That is the choice you made/make when you renounce your citizenship.  If you don't like that, then don't join the secessionist movement and become a traitor to Atlasia.

Those that have been given the chance to return to Atlasia but refuse to should be considered traitors and if caught, tried and convicted for their high crime against the nation of Atlasia.

I'd highly recommend other avenues for trying to make the game more interesting:  Like ones that don't disqualify your ability to participate in the game for significant periods of time.

If you and others are going to act all uber serious about the act of secession (which by the way I wasn't doing, unless you consider Atlasian citizens the equivalent of political parties or state/local governments) to the point of extreme paranoia and authoritarian behavior then being barred from this game for significant lengths of time isn't something I would mourn.
It should be noted that I have moved to Manitoba, not Georgia.  Therefore I haven't joined a "secessionist movement".  Unless you are one of those mad imperialists who believes that Canada has always belonged to us and that it's national government is illegal or something like that.
I mean really Snowguy, what are you going to do?  Come to my RL apartment and shoot me?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 03:58:28 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2011, 06:58:56 AM by Krist Novoselic, Certified God of Badasses »

Quitting the game has been illegal for some time. If it was as simple as saying you are suddenly part of a new country, then everyone who wants to quit would do this. The only way that it could apply is if they truly started an insurrection towards the government, and that's up to the GM, and the SoIA.

So let me get this straight:

Leaving the country is supposedly illegal (according to the logic of your second sentence) but I can't get thrown out of the game for it?  Especially if we apply Snowguy's definition here?
So if we assume that treason is a crime that carries with it the highest of penalties (which I'm assuming is either a life sentence or a really long time in prison, since execution would be the equivalent of quitting the game) pretty much what you're saying is that Atlasians who go through with "seceding" are barred from voting and holding office?
I guess what I'm really trying to ask here Teddy is what's so different between those who decide to commit treasonous acts in this simulation and those whose registration has expired (and never return)?

Meh, should've voted for JJ.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:42:48 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2011, 04:44:21 AM by Krist Novoselic, Certified God of Badasses »

There is not legal procedure for "renouncing Atlasian citizenship". We tried to introduce a procedure for deregistration, but the bill failed.

Thus, it doesn't matter what Mecha or another guy says, they still have the right to vote.

Yes, see it's all about semantics people.

Nowhere in this thread (or anywhere else) do I mention anything about "seceding" from Atlasia.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »

For the record, I don't take anything that is said or done within Atlasia seriously.  This is, after all, a game.  My real self actually enjoys seeing people revolt against the government, as it adds a little spice to the game.  My Atlasian persona (aka Fritz), being a former President and one who is widely regarded as being way too serious, of course will remain loyal to the government and condemn those who are in a state of rebellion.

Antonio makes a good point- I think he may be right, we don't have any laws that make rebels ineligible to vote.  I think they should be denied the right to vote anyway, as a matter of principle, and then the whole thing can be drawn into court.  Wouldn't that be fun?  Smiley
^^^^
And therein lies the whole purpose of my initial outburst Grin

The underlined portion would definitely be a fun and adventurous exercise.

Though, again let me bring up semantics.  Declaring that you have formed your own republic is definitely an act of rebellion, but what exactly is renouncing your citizenship?  Is it even possible to renounce yourself or does the Atlasian Census Bureau have ultimate authority in regards to your status as a national resident?
Personally, I wouldn't mind so much if the government would get rid of the citizenship of mangy hookers and racist dwarves, but hey that's just me.  I'm all for a diverse and open environment and culture and all but there are some people who just shouldn't mix into our society.  However, though I don't mind the government denying citizenship to the dredges and sh*tstains of society I must say I would like to move to Nova Scotia and raise my gay rottweilers in peace without the government coming after me, declaring me a rebel, and sticking a bayonet grenade up my ass (I'm really not into that sort of thing, though Kalwejt most certainly does).

Hehehehehe, big teeth grin Grin
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 07:50:51 PM »

Well, after Snowguy bribed me with $500,000 and the entire series of Lost, Dexter, Weeds, Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Sopranos, South Park, Family Guy, Leverage, In Plain Sight, Burn Notice, Psych, and a bunch of other different sh*t on blu-ray hours of careful thought I decided to cancel my move to Manitoba and stay here in Atlasia.
I do stand by my stance that the issues I brought up would make an interesting discussion and free us from boredom, but right now is the wrong time and I don't want to give the impression that in my moment of irritation that I embrace treachery and secession.  I do not.
I oppose war with former Atlasian states, but at the same time I do not think it would be ethical for the money for me to condone what Snowguy is paying me is blatant treachery to the ideals and purposes of the Atlasian state.  I have come to realize that all of our states share a special bond that when broken causes great tragedy and lost profits for my stock in loli pron..  I know I won't make many friends here, but in my closing argument let me just say that I did it all for the money the integrity and character of this nation.

-Mechaman
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies