Will McCain simply tire?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:41:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Will McCain simply tire?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will McCain simply tire?  (Read 556 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »

Regardless of the campaign, is McCain capable of physically and mentally going the distance all the way through to November? To slightly misquote from Doctor Who (but I can't put it better myself Smiley ); where he threatened to whisper the four little words that could destroy a politicians career:

'Doesn't he look tired?'

Spotlights, meet and greets, stump speeches, the debates - I am beginning to think McCain will simply get tired and look tired (and trying to cosmetically cover it up looks even worse) We saw snippets of this before the attack ads and change in campaign gave him some breathing room, just a few little slip ups here and there spoken without a major audience. Once or twice his voice croaked just a little.

Yes it's age and yes he probably has more vitality than most men his age, but not of men like Obama. No matter how invigorated the campaign is, if the candidate begins to slow down, or be 'rested' while Obama can survive on a few hours sleep a night then McCain will have a serious problem.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:22:51 PM »

such is why God made amphetamines and other stimulants.  Ed Muskie and Hubert Humphrey were big into that type of thing in '72.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »

He's been campaigning since early 2007, and he doesn't look that tired yet.  I doubt it'll happen in the last few days.

He outcampaigned his primary opponents, so I don't see why he can't at least stay even with Obama.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »

I doubt he'd actually tire out, but the question is whether he will *appear* tired. This is a real possibility.

On purely physiological metrics, McCain has a lot of drawbacks as a candidate. He's at least 4 inches shorter than Obama. This is accentuated by his tendency to hunch his shoulders when walking. He looks fine at the podium but when he moves on his feet the restricted mobility in his arms weighs him down a bit.

What's worse is his lighting. McCain's white/balding hair makes him appear wispy on camera. His face isn't nicely framed and his rather sallow jawline (also somewhat jowly, but not as bad as most men his age) makes it hard to distinguish his face. The sum total is to make him look something like a toadstool rather than a Republican. By contrast, Obama was practically born for the camera. Besides his somewhat flapping ears he wins on all the marks for photogeneity. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies