Describe someone who strongly approved of Richard Nixon in August 1974

<< < (4/5) > >>

Sir Mohamed:
A very hardcore partisan that thought Watergate was hoax to get Nixon and that he and his "plumbers" just did what was necessary to win.

Alben Barkley:
Quote from: TheElectoralBoobyPrize on February 06, 2023, 02:23:54 PM

Quote from: Alben Barkley on February 05, 2023, 11:58:36 PM

Quote from: TheElectoralBoobyPrize on February 02, 2023, 01:37:52 PM

Southern white males.

Nixon's scandals arguably hurt him in the South more than anywhere else, allowing Carter to capitalize on the region's distrust in government and the GOP and sweep it a few years later.

Ford still won the white vote in the South, and I'm not saying Nixon had majority approval with southern white males...just that they were more likely to have still supported Nixon than any other demographic other than just Republicans.

People keep saying this, but I have yet to see any solid data proving it. Nationally Ford and Carter effectively tied in the white vote, but Carter did better in the South than he did in, well, any other region. He managed to lose Illinois, New Jersey, and California while winning Mississippi for Christ's sake... He also easily swept a bunch of overwhelmingly white rural counties that would go like 90%+ for Trump decades later in the South, and his best states outside of his native Georgia (where he swept every single county) were Arkansas and West Virginia. I don't understand how it's even mathematically possible he lost the white vote in the South. If anything it seems like perhaps his strongest white support came from the South, or at least certain pockets of it. Perhaps the Texas and Virginia suburbs or something dragged his overall white Southern support down, but it's hard to see how that outweighed everything else.

OSR stands with Israel:
Quote from: Alben Barkley on February 14, 2023, 11:48:28 PM

Quote from: TheElectoralBoobyPrize on February 06, 2023, 02:23:54 PM

Quote from: Alben Barkley on February 05, 2023, 11:58:36 PM

Quote from: TheElectoralBoobyPrize on February 02, 2023, 01:37:52 PM

Southern white males.

Nixon's scandals arguably hurt him in the South more than anywhere else, allowing Carter to capitalize on the region's distrust in government and the GOP and sweep it a few years later.

Ford still won the white vote in the South, and I'm not saying Nixon had majority approval with southern white males...just that they were more likely to have still supported Nixon than any other demographic other than just Republicans.

People keep saying this, but I have yet to see any solid data proving it. Nationally Ford and Carter effectively tied in the white vote, but Carter did better in the South than he did in, well, any other region. He managed to lose Illinois, New Jersey, and California while winning Mississippi for Christ's sake... He also easily swept a bunch of overwhelmingly white rural counties that would go like 90%+ for Trump decades later in the South, and his best states outside of his native Georgia (where he swept every single county) were Arkansas and West Virginia. I don't understand how it's even mathematically possible he lost the white vote in the South. If anything it seems like perhaps his strongest white support came from the South, or at least certain pockets of it. Perhaps the Texas and Virginia suburbs or something dragged his overall white Southern support down, but it's hard to see how that outweighed everything else.

I mean Carter dominated the Rural South in 1980 and lost all but one state (two if you count WV) so it could be the same thing here.

His wins in the South coming of extremely strong performances with Rural Whites and the African American vote while he lost Urban and Suburban White voters in the South who made up most Whites.

Unpoisoned Chalice:
1976 CBS exit polls have Ford winning the white southern vote by 6 points.

Yu748Girl83:
Quote from: Unpoisoned Chalice on February 15, 2023, 01:23:17 AM

1976 CBS exit polls have Ford winning the white southern vote by 6 points.

Exit polls are historically unreliable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page