Trump Supporter chants Jew-S-A at the press pen (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 11:45:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump Supporter chants Jew-S-A at the press pen (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump Supporter chants Jew-S-A at the press pen  (Read 5104 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« on: October 30, 2016, 02:57:12 PM »

I actually yelled at the people in the press pen in Tallahassee, but I just gave them the universal gesture while walking by Tongue.
Wow, you really are an ass.

They're proud of being deplorable. Yet we're supposedly reaching when we call them Fascists...
You guys don't seem to realize that calling these people deplorables is only driving them out to the polls. You do realize that you, like your own candidate, are engineering your own downfall and are only succeeding in isolating yourselves from the broader public that you should be engaging.

Sanchez, respectably, I'm going to humor with you for a second and ask you how we might otherwise react to characters like, well, these folks.

Yes, you might post back with a video of Hillary or Bernie supporters somewhere saying similarly deplorable things, or retort that they're #NotAllLikeThat, but that would miss the point of the question.  I believe you've made clear here the basic reason you supported and are supporting Trump is to stick it to your own party (and I would guess that your expectations for a Trump victory next week aren't that much better than mine at this point), but if these fine individuals are part of the "broader public" you are speaking of, then I'm genuinely curious to know how they, indeed, might be engaged.  Putting aside the question of whether they should be.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 07:09:41 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2016, 07:37:49 PM by Meme Witch »

Sanchez, I actually can't disagree with most of what you said (and Democrats acknowledge the problem too and they have paid the price for doing so; Obama's "guns and religion" comment eight years ago didn't make good PR, but the substance of his comments wasn't inaccurate).  And I've said before I have a great deal more respect for people like Rand Paul or Mike Lee than politicians who quietly vote in lockstep with their party and don't work a day trying to fix anything.

But I'm also skeptical of the idea that it's purely economic anxiety causing this rash behavior.  Kentucky elected a man last year who wanted to destroy the exchange program that by all objective measures was successful in the state.  Even if you don't agree with Obamacare, it's bewildering to me how dirt poor areas vote more and more consistently for people who insist on halting anything that would lift them from their current state.  And these aren't supply-side Kool-Aid drinkers, either.  Not when states as conservative as Arkansas vote 65% to raise the state minimum wage.

What I'm getting to is, will an "unrigged" economy or an "unrigged" political system convince people who insist that the President of the United States is Muslim or Kenyan or poisoning the wells or whatever, that they are wrong?

This was one of the reasons Sanders couldn't make inroads with black voters, at least going by what his more vocal skeptics had to say about him: you can't give a kid free college and expect police brutality to dissipate over night.  The problem is as cultural as it is economic.  Fiscal populism by itself won't get the Tennessee methhead to leave his shed or the Vermont heroin addict to quit shooting up every night.

Gun to the head, plenty of Trump's supporters would vote for Bernie before Hillary.  But then they're not interested in voting for any Democrat.  In four years, they'll be the backbone of Ted Cruz's next presidential run, because Ted Cruz will tell them it's immigrants and "regulations" taking away their jobs, not the unstoppable forces of automation and an economy that increasingly values college-educated workers (which is a money-making scheme of its own in many respects, and as a contributor to that system, I am by no means happy with it).

Anyway, I know it sounds like I'm making this to be more about Democrats winning elections than why people feel the way they do, but I hope you see the general point I'm trying to make.

Frightening to think these people will be running the country in less than 100 days. But it's reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies