THG’s 2k post AMA.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:08:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  THG’s 2k post AMA.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: THG’s 2k post AMA.  (Read 563 times)
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2021, 11:11:47 AM »

The following questions will have a big impact on my opinion of you and can be answered in as nuanced or definite a way as you like:

1. Caesar or Pompey?
2. Cicero or Catiline?
3. Optimates or Populares? And are these labels even meaningful?
4. Antony or Octavian?
5. Gracchi brothers good or bad?
6. Lucius Cornelius Sulla good or bad?

1. I suppose history prefers Caesar as a figure and he is the greater man, but I absolutely have sympathy for Pompey and his respect for the institutions. I also admire Caesar’s achievements more than him as a leader, but I also respect Caesar as a figure far more than Pompey.

2. Well, Cicero was far more impactful than a rogue general could ever have been, so my natural answer is Cicero for sure.

3. I don’t care for populism, so I suppose in a perfect world I would sympathize with the Optimates. However, if the authorities and institutions are fundamentally broken like they were in the Roman Republic (or the western world today!), I will not take sides with either the modern day equivalent of the Optimates or the Populares.

4. Octavian because his achievements realized the potential of Antony’s groundwork. I also don’t respect Antony as a leader one bit.

5. I didn’t know who they were previously, but I don’t like redistributionists. Bad.

6. I disapprove of his methods and he was rather ineffective long term. Bad.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2021, 11:15:17 AM »
« Edited: October 21, 2021, 11:20:11 AM by I’M GONNA TOOOOOOOOM »

Opinion of the unstoppable movement to unite North and South Carolina into one Big Carolina?

North Carolina is the best Carolina, sorry.

Also I would like to keep two Republican senators lol.
How about if NC became a Lean D state?

If I really wanted to be a shameless partisan hack and enjoy the benefits of the greater Carolina empire, sure.

But there’s still only one best Carolina!
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 11:59:48 AM »

4. Octavian because his achievements realized the potential of Antony’s groundwork. I also don’t respect Antony as a leader one bit.
FF answer. Antony sucks and was a total moron.  I generally agreed with your other answers except that I think the Gracchi brothers were good guys with good intentions.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 12:43:20 PM »

FF answer. Antony sucks and was a total moron.  I generally agreed with your other answers except that I think the Gracchi brothers were good guys with good intentions.

I knew virtually nothing about the Gracchis (I probably learnt about them in university but very briefly) and I literally had to look them up online, so take that opinion with a grain of salt.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »

I knew virtually nothing about the Gracchis (I probably learnt about them in university but very briefly) and I literally had to look them up online, so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

You went to university?  What was your experience of that and what did you study there?
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2021, 01:51:04 AM »

How would you grade Biden's presidency on a scare of 0-10 so far?
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2021, 09:24:23 AM »

You went to university?  What was your experience of that and what did you study there?

My experience was fairly solid! I majored in business but minored in political science and took some in depth courses related to history.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2021, 11:50:56 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2021, 12:35:43 PM by I’M GONNA TOOOOOOOOM »

How would you grade Biden's presidency on a scare of 0-10 so far?

Hyperbole aside, not high! This is probably the worst presidency of my lifetime.

The Biden administration was elected on the heels of COVID-19 and people getting angry at Trump. This administration and the Democratic Party now act akin to an emperor with no clothes, acting like they have some kind of grand mandate given to them by the American people when they fluked into a victory. And they are reaping what they sow.

This arrogance and utter detachment from reality is what defines the Biden administration. This administration is ran by technocrats or ideological left wingers who have no touch with the American people. Even the Obama administration, for all its ineptitude, didn’t feature as disgustingly incompetent and out of touch individuals controlling it (though they were still disgustingly out of touch and incompetent, just not to the degree of this administration). And Obama also actually had a base of supporters, whereas Mr Biden has no floor in terms of how unpopular he can get.

I didn’t find the presidency of one George W. Bush to be a successful one overall (and it was disastrous for the GOP) but even then, it took them at-least 6 full years to collapse in a spectacular fashion. Biden’s administration has gone from a 49-52% approval in the early part of this year to an approval in the low 40’s or even the high 30’s in some polls.

These are Trump level approval ratings, but like Biden’s old boss, Trump had a strong base of support, even if his ceiling was on the lower side. Biden does not have one, and has no mandate from the American people.

But for his party to act like they do is the arrogance I’m referring to- be it inflation, the Afghanistan blunder, the complete and utter failure that we are on the world stage now, China/Russia/Iran feeling emboldened, the border crisis, COVID not being “solved” at all, insane mandates that will destroy our economy, energy independence being wiped out (which causes higher gas prices) or literally anything else from this administration, or the $3.5T bill of garbage they’re attempting to shove through?

This president and his party are acting like none of those issues matter and that he got elected by insane margins, and that this man has any type of mandate given to him by the American people. You only got elected because of mass mail in voting being more common due to a once in a lifetime pandemic, and suburbanites being pissed off at Trump’s tweets. You did not win any type of serious mandate from the people and you’ll learn that the hard way in 2022 and 2024.

I can’t fathom how someone would call ANYTHING about this presidency to be successful. This administration is a humiliation fetish to come fruition domestically and internationally and while it may not be the most disastrous one in human history, there are virtually no redeeming qualities about it. And it’s the utter arrogance of it that really hits home.

1/10.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2021, 12:05:02 PM »

My experience was fairly solid! I majored in business but minored in political science and took some in depth courses related to history.
Do you look down upon people like me who left education at the end of high school?
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2021, 12:12:02 PM »

FF answer. Antony sucks and was a total moron.  I generally agreed with your other answers except that I think the Gracchi brothers were good guys with good intentions.

You went to university?  What was your experience of that and what did you study there?

Do you look down upon people like me who left education at the end of high school?

No. In fact, quite the opposite.

I look up to you.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies