Happy Loyalty Day! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:04:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Happy Loyalty Day! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Happy Loyalty Day!  (Read 1259 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: May 04, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »

What an unbelievably creepy name for a holiday.

The whole thing, in fact.  Mayday sounds like a ship sinking.  Loyalty Day seems Nazi.

Funny, it never occurs to me that May 1 is even special till I see it here.  For over eleven years I have been posting here, and for eleven years May 1 is just a normal day.  I see people at work and at school and on the street and we say "howdy" and "wassup?" and "yo, mang" and such, but no one ever says "Merry Christmas" or "Chappy Chanukkah" or anything like that.  After all, why would they?  But then, in the evening, after I get a belly full of pork and rice and red wine and cognac, and I check in here, I see that there is a thread reminding me of "MayDay" or "LoyaltyDay" or something like that.  Apparently some subset of the population every year actually seems to be aware of May 1 being some sort of unofficial holiday, either called MayDay or LoyaltyDay.  Then I remember it, but only till I fall asleep.  Then for the 364 days from May 2 till April 30 I have no recollection that MayDay (or LoyaltyDay) is a thing.  I suspect that for most Americans, that period is 365 days.  After all, does Dollar Tree or Walmart or CVS even stock MayDay cards?  I'm guessing that outside this forum it really isn't celebrated.  By any name.  

What is MayDay (or LoyaltyDay) anyway?  I bet if I knocked on the doors of my ten closest neighbors, none of them would be aware of either.  (unless they post here, of course.)  Ah, well.  All holidays are good holidays, so long as they're on weekdays.  So, Happy Loyalty (or May) Day!  Smiley

Absolutely no one on this website could say literally nothing in 285 words, other than uncle angus.

Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies