$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:09:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 79
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 113349 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: December 01, 2017, 11:47:14 AM »

Say the Republicans do basically get whatever they want and are allowed to. Do they take what they want from Trump and then are done with him or do they basically finally become Trump's employees and are absorbed into his "Organization"?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1051 on: December 01, 2017, 11:49:43 AM »

Okay, here we go. Senate now voting on motion by Sen. Nelson to send the bill back to committee.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1052 on: December 01, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »

Okay, here we go. Senate now voting on motion by Sen. Nelson to send the bill back to committee.

That's why what McConnell is doing is called the "nuclear option". There is now no stopping the democrats from doing whatever they want to make order in the Senate as difficult as possible. This is what McConnell bargained for when he decided to lock out the opposition. With just a week left before a shutdown.. I don't see this ending cleanly.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1053 on: December 01, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »

Flake is a yes https://mobile.twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/936641964086317056
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1054 on: December 01, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »

If McConnell can get just one of Lankford/Corker/Collins, the bill should pass.

To Summarize the view of the Senate:

Solidly Opposed: All 48 Dems

Likely Opposed: N/A

Lean Opposed: N/A

Toss-Up:
Lankford - He's said he'll vote against it "if it increases the deficit too much" - but didn't define what too much meant.  He's also called for a trigger provision that would raise tax rates in times of insufficent economic growth, and has explicitly refused to endorse the bill as written, although he has yet to explicitly oppose the bill and is generally a reliable vote for leadership.

Corker - Voted Yes in committee, but has been clear that his support on final passage will depend on the inclusion of a trigger provision in the bill. It is unclear if such a provision will be in the final version of the bill.

Collins - Appeared to indicate on 11/19 CNN interview that her support would depend on passage of Alexander-Murray and a separate bill she wrote with Senator Nelson, and keeping the top rate at 39.6%, instead of lowering it to 38.5%. She has, however, recently been given assurances that Trump supports both bills, and voted Yes on the Motion to Proceed.

Lean Support: N/A

Likely Support:
Young - Apparently has been raising deficit-related concerns about the bill, but I highly doubt he actually has a backbone.

Paul - Despite his previous stance against the framework, Paul "supports the bill as it stands right now", as reported by Bloomberg News. Still keep an eye on him, as the bill may be amended on the senate floor and it's not impossible that it could be amended in such a way that it changes his stance.

Safe Support: Other 47 GOP Senators

Overall: 49 SUPPORT,  48 AGAINST, 3 TOSS-UP
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1055 on: December 01, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »

Flake is a yes

I'm starting to think everyone but corker and Collins was a yes all along and was just trying to fake caring. About deficit
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1056 on: December 01, 2017, 12:15:26 PM »

McConnell says he has the votes to reporters
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1057 on: December 01, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »

Flake is a yes

I'm starting to think everyone but corker and Collins was a yes all along and was just trying to fake caring. About deficit

haha anyone who thought Corker and Flake and Johnson were anything but yes votes all along shouldn't comment on politics.

The reason I thought corker and flake were going to be tough to get is because they are both retiring (nothing to lose), and both dislike Donald trump
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1058 on: December 01, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »

The motion by Sen. Nelson to send the bill back to committee fails 48-52. Senate now voting on a similar motion by Sen. Baldwin.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1059 on: December 01, 2017, 12:23:42 PM »

The motion by Sen. Nelson to send the bill back to committee fails 48-52. Senate now voting on a similar motion by Sen. Baldwin.

Might be a dumb question, but is a senator allowed to start as many motions as they like?

It seems like the ten or so motions since last night have all been started by different democrats
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1060 on: December 01, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »

If Collins votes for this, she is going to lose in 2020.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1061 on: December 01, 2017, 12:31:50 PM »

Collins is a yes according to Andy slavitt, who is citing McConnell himself
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1062 on: December 01, 2017, 12:36:28 PM »

The motion by Sen. Baldwin to send the bill back to committee fails 48-52.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1063 on: December 01, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »

Next Vote: 2 ET: Cardin motion to send bill back to committee.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1064 on: December 01, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »

My god, when will this end? This is so silly even if within the rules
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1065 on: December 01, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »

My god, when will this end? This is so silly even if within the rules

This is what McConnell bargained for when he decided to go nuclear on tax reform.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1066 on: December 01, 2017, 12:49:27 PM »

So when this (presumably) passes the Democrats should hang every aspect of this monstrosity around the neck of every Republican officeholder in the country. And if they don't win in a historic landslide next year, I will officially have lost faith in everything.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1067 on: December 01, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »

So when this (presumably) passes the Democrats should hang every aspect of this monstrosity around the neck of every Republican officeholder in the country. And if they don't win in a historic landslide next year, I will officially have lost faith in everything.

Or that the Democratic Party has totally failed in opposition.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1068 on: December 01, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »

I'm eager to see whats actually in this tax bill. I think the corporate tax cut is too deep but I still think a cut is a good thing. Collins salt amendment should also make things easier for middle class families, although I have my doubts it survives Paul Ryan.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1069 on: December 01, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »

Stop being so dramatic. You can argue that it's stupid to add 1 trillion to deficit over ten years (which really isn't even a fraction of our current total debt) , but the bill itself is not radical in how it affects the after tax incomes of the American people. The vast majority of people will see a 1-3% decrease in their tax bill

Our politics is just too hysterical right now and I am tired of the faux outrage
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1070 on: December 01, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »

Stop being so dramatic. You can argue that it's stupid to add 1 trillion to deficit over ten years (which really isn't even a fraction of our current total debt) , but the bill itself is not radical in how it affects the after tax incomes of the American people. The vast majority of people will see a 1-3% decrease in their tax bill

Our politics is just too hysterical right now and I am tired of the faux outrage

The vast majority of people do not make over $70k a year.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1071 on: December 01, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »

I'm eager to see whats actually in this tax bill. I think the corporate tax cut is too deep but I still think a cut is a good thing. Collins salt amendment should also make things easier for middle class families, although I have my doubts it survives Paul Ryan.

Obama wanted corp tax reduced to 25%. Was it a "massive giveaway to the rich" then?
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #1072 on: December 01, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »

If I understood correctly, the House bill could really raise taxes on people like me on graduation tuition waivers at private universities by taxing the waiver as income.  Many of us have very little money and loads of debt, and they want to act like we are high rollers. I should be out by the time this would go into effect, and take limited courses at the moment, but man...

I don't know the details, so I would love if someone could explain this isn't as bad as it sounds.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1073 on: December 01, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »

If I understood correctly, the House bill could really raise taxes on people like me on graduation tuition waivers at private universities by taxing the waiver as income.  Many of us have very little money and loads of debt, and they want to act like we are high rollers. I should be out by the time this would go into effect, and take limited courses at the moment, but man...

I don't know the details, so I would love if someone could explain this isn't as bad as it sounds.

No, it is just as bad as it sounds.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1074 on: December 01, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »

I'm glad theyre passing it. Only makes 2018 worse for them
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length