6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:35:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter  (Read 10528 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 01, 2015, 12:47:01 PM »
« edited: May 01, 2015, 01:18:09 PM by Governor Gass3268 »

Seems like a stretch to me. Conviction will be very difficult. Need new prosecutor and new jurisdiction to ensure due process.

Nope, absolutely needs to stay in Baltimore City and this prosecutor is the right person for this case. A change on either would be disrespectful to the victim who was kidnapped and tortured by the police.

Additional comment: The more I have read and heard on TV, the more Marilyn Mosby is totally the right prosecutor for this case.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »

Its gonna be really hard to disprove the false imprisonment charge. I feel like that charge is almost an automatic for a guilty result.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:23:21 PM »

A prosecutor who shouts "OUR TIME IS NOW" into a microphone doesn't sound to me, like a fair prosecutor.

Who is "OUR" exactly?

I am concerned with due process.  A change of venue granted in favor of the defense, to the above poster who is implying things that I am not saying, means less of a likelihood they win on appeal if convicted.  The fairer the trial the better for all sides of this.

The "OUR" is all the people of Baltimore that want to see justice done.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sounds like a good argument for a change of venue, if "all the people of Baltimore" are rooting for a conviction, that taints the defendants' constitutional right to a fair and impartial jury of their peers.

Baltimore County or perhaps Carroll County should take the case - or perhaps the defense will ask for somewhere further away from Baltimore, such as the western counties.

Her comments startled me and I believe were inappropriate

That's hilarious.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »

Appears multiple legal scholars on Fox News agreed with my notions - for officers to get fair and impartial jury, trial must be moved to greater Maryland, and must include new prosecutor.

If Fox News said it, it must be true!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 10:56:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fox News didn't say anything, the non-partisan  biracial legal scholars they had on did. 

By definition, if you accept to be on Fox News, you're not non-partisan.

Exactly! Also there is no way it will be moved out of Baltimore City, like TrueFederalist said. This case will be tried in Baltimore City. Also Mosby has repeated time after time that she will not recuse herself from the case and I don't know who else under Maryland law could remove her from the case. Maybe the Governor or a Judge, but I can't imagine either doing that as well considering both are elected officials.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 11:28:36 PM »

However, is it really a conflict of interest if a lawyer sides with the party they are advocating on behalf of? I think not.

Totally agree with this statement. Prosecutors almost always fight for victims of murders and their family members. This including collaborating with their representatives and attorneys. So no there is no conflict of interest.  

The reason I said almost always is because when the murders are the police, the prosecutors almost always transform into a defense lawyer trying to defend police from their wrong doing. This is why this situation feels so weird and refreshing. Mosby is actually doing her job and making sure that these cops are held to the same rule of law that everyone else is.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »

Jury selection is going to be tricky just due to the level of prior information and discussion people will have been exposed to already.

Yet this is true of almost every big major case. The kept the Boston Bombing trail in Boston even though everyone there was exposed to prior information and discussion.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »

Goodson claims audio exists of him asking other officers to restrain Gray

I was always disgusted by the absurd Nero/Miller charges, but this basically settles it for me. At least 90% of these charges are nonsense, and obviously none of them should result in any sort of criminal punishment. Incredibly upsetting to see such seemingly lovely people's lives ruined in the name of politics. Sad

I can hardly bear to live in this world any longer.

Goodson sounds like a good guy to flip on the rest of the officers and testify for the prosecution.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »

Goodson claims audio exists of him asking other officers to restrain Gray

I was always disgusted by the absurd Nero/Miller charges, but this basically settles it for me. At least 90% of these charges are nonsense, and obviously none of them should result in any sort of criminal punishment. Incredibly upsetting to see such seemingly lovely people's lives ruined in the name of politics. Sad

I can hardly bear to live in this world any longer.

Goodson sounds like a good guy to flip on the rest of the officers and testify for the prosecution.

Why would he get the strongest charges against him then? Wouldn't you think they just charge someone else with nonsense they didn't do just to testify against the central guy they want to put away? It sounded like the prosecutor wanted to make Goodson the face of this with the murder charge.

If I remember right, Goodson was the only one of the six that didn't give a statement to the investigation team. Maybe that played a part?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies