Opinion of this quote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:23:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of this quote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom Quote

Horrible Quote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Opinion of this quote  (Read 8259 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: July 21, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »

I don't actually disagree with anything in it, tbh. It doesn't change the fact the Israeli government is a bunch of morons and assholes and at this point bear most of the responsibility for the failure of peace talks.
You agree that the US has a responsibility to ensure that Israel maintains a "military edge?"

If that's necessary to prevent the neighboring countries from destroying it, then yes. Though I know that's not the case right now, Israel has historically been much less trigger-happy than its old enemies.
Why is it America's job to provide for Israel's defense?

Powerful nations should do their job to protect smaller nations from aggression, in general. The fact that Israel is probably the single State in the world that the most other countries would like to see crushed makes its defense particularly necessary.

Israel's very existence is a form of aggression.

How is that? (This should be good)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »

I don't actually disagree with anything in it, tbh. It doesn't change the fact the Israeli government is a bunch of morons and assholes and at this point bear most of the responsibility for the failure of peace talks.
You agree that the US has a responsibility to ensure that Israel maintains a "military edge?"

If that's necessary to prevent the neighboring countries from destroying it, then yes. Though I know that's not the case right now, Israel has historically been much less trigger-happy than its old enemies.

Powerful nations should do their job to protect smaller nations from aggression, in general. The fact that Israel is probably the single State in the world that the most other countries would like to see crushed makes its defense particularly necessary.

Israel was founded on the idea of turning a mostly Arab-populated area into a homeland for a diaspora by expelling said Arabs, and then proceeding to colonize more land than was even given in the UN proposal for Palestine (and now slowly spreading beyond that in the form of the West Bank settlements, enclosing the Palestinians into ever-smaller bantustans). Zionism is inherently aggressive just as all colonialism is inherently aggressive.

You realize you could apply this logic to almost every country in the world, right? I don't see you advocating for the dissolution of the US, returning it to the Natives, and having us all go back to Europe/Asia/Africa, etc.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 06:43:52 PM »

Israel was founded on the idea of turning a mostly Arab-populated area into a homeland for a diaspora by expelling said Arabs, and then proceeding to colonize more land than was even given in the UN proposal for Palestine (and now slowly spreading beyond that in the form of the West Bank settlements, enclosing the Palestinians into ever-smaller bantustans). Zionism is inherently aggressive just as all colonialism is inherently aggressive.

You realize you could apply this logic to almost every country in the world, right? I don't see you advocating for the dissolution of the US, returning it to the Natives, and having us all go back to Europe/Asia/Africa, etc.

I don't think all the Jews should be forced to leave Israel; their settlement is a fait accompli (not to mention that a limited Jewish population had lived in the Levant well before the formation of Israel). The only solution is a single Palestinian state which guarantees equal rights for all citizens of all backgrounds; it may sound silly now, but it's how a racially egalitarian South Africa sounded about thirty years ago.

If you operate on the premise that the Jews won't have to leave, then a two state solution is the only answer. The bloodshed isn't going to end just because a single state of Palestine is established, but just like the bloodshed would not end if Israel fully annexed the territories but granted all the citizens full rights and citizenship. The views of Hamas are not nuanced, they want the Jews gone or dead. Although a two state solution wouldn't fully rectify this problem either due to the fact that they'd share a border, it easily is the least bad option.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 02:33:01 PM »

The United States certainly can't be proud of our treatment of the Indians.  Should we allow Sioux people to fire rockets at Rapid City to make up for that?

The comparison that Israeli apologists make to our own colonization and settlement of North America is a monstrous misrepresentation.

What was acceptable in the 1600s is not necessarily acceptable in the 20th century or today. If Israel wanted to enact chattel slavery, would you be saying, "Well WE did it prior to the 1860s. If you don't allow them to, you're a raving anti-semite who wants them all to die in Hitler's ovens you Nazi!"

How convenient for you (and the rest of us Americans) that the US's occupation of Native American land occured before this arbitrary line you drew to separate "acceptable" and "unacceptable" kinds of land occupation. Ha, we got grandfathered in, suckers!

I'm sure you arrived at this specific dividing line through a fair and rational thought process, and not at all through your own self interest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies