Bill Jefferson and Tom DeLay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:42:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bill Jefferson and Tom DeLay
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill Jefferson and Tom DeLay  (Read 2702 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:04 PM »

Interesting point.

When Tom DeLay was under investigation and indicted, Republicans everywhere sprang to his defense. You wouldn't find anyone saying a bad word about him, and it was all describe as some partisan power grab, etc.

Yet when the same happens with Bill Jefferson, the Democrats throw him under the bus, try to remove him from office, and Democrats everywhere start calling for his head and he becomes one of the most hated men among the netroots. The most venemous posts on this forum toward Jefferson have all been from Democrats, and many Democrats will celebrate when the worthless piece of sh!t is finally locked up for life like he deserves.

What does that tell you?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:38:12 PM »

Interesting point.

When Tom DeLay was under investigation and indicted, Republicans everywhere sprang to his defense. You wouldn't find anyone saying a bad word about him, and it was all describe as some partisan power grab, etc.

Yet when the same happens with Bill Jefferson, the Democrats throw him under the bus, try to remove him from office, and Democrats everywhere start calling for his head and he becomes one of the most hated men among the netroots. The most venemous posts on this forum toward Jefferson have all been from Democrats, and many Democrats will celebrate when the worthless piece of sh!t is finally locked up for life like he deserves.

What does that tell you?

That the democrats handled their scandal far better than the Republicans. (And that the congressional GOP was Delay's bitch.)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 12:16:36 AM »

I think bullmoose pretty much summed it up.  Plus, you can't really run a campaign against the "culture of corruption" while simultaneously supporting a guy hiding money in his freezer.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:54:15 AM »

It shows that one party has standards and the other doesn't.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM »

Bill Jefferson voted for the Federal Marriage Amendment, the partial-birth abortion ban, and the flag burning amendment, as well.  No surprise that the corrupt Democrat is actually a Republican.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:45:28 AM »

That Jefferson is really guilty.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 04:33:14 AM »

I'll take that as a "Guilty" vote on the motion to convict the President of perjury and conspiracy to obstruct justice.  Who doesn't love partisan justice?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 05:58:36 AM »

It tells me that DeLay was pretty much innocent.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 02:27:52 PM »

As far as I can tell, neither Jefferson nor DeLay have been convicted of any crime yet.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »

Interesting point.

What does that tell you?

That the democrats handled their scandal far better than the Republicans. (And that the congressional GOP was Delay's bitch.)
Not all that well given that he was reelected anyways.

And yeah, the part about how either of them was likely to be replaced by someone to their respective left (even if DeLay had been replaced by another Republican) plays a role here as well.
J.G.H.
Zeus
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 05:00:21 PM »

It tells me that Jefferson is clearly guilty, and that DeLay's prosecution is clearly a partisan witchhunt.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 05:02:08 PM »

It tells me that both are probably guilty.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 05:56:40 PM »

It tells me this:

DeLay didn't actually do anything wrong and was persued by a partisan prosecutor who has all but given up now that he has driven DeLay from office

JEFFERSON WAs HIDING THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF BRIBERY MONEY IN HIS FREEZER AND WAS CAUGHT RED-HANDED AND NOW DEMANDING THE THINGS THEY FOUND BACK!!!!

The two situation could not be more different
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 11:05:22 PM »

It tells me this:

DeLay didn't actually do anything wrong and was persued by a partisan prosecutor who has all but given up now that he has driven DeLay from office

JEFFERSON WAs HIDING THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF BRIBERY MONEY IN HIS FREEZER AND WAS CAUGHT RED-HANDED AND NOW DEMANDING THE THINGS THEY FOUND BACK!!!!

At first I was going to disagree, but those capital letters really turned me to your side.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 07:38:37 PM »

By DWDL's logic, Bill Clinton was not guilty.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 12:41:33 AM »

It tells me that DeLay was pretty much innocent.
It tells me this:

It tells me that Jefferson is clearly guilty, and that DeLay's prosecution is clearly a partisan witchhunt.

Proving BRTD's point for him, are you?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 09:58:03 AM »

Lying under oath is a crime

And Strangeland, your obviously mentally handicapped
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 09:43:29 PM »

Tom Delay was a corrupt scumbag. So was William Jefferson. In fact, most politicians are.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 10:08:43 AM »

Tom Delay was a corrupt scumbag. So was William Jefferson. In fact, most politicians are.
Nothing anyone said, "proved BRTD's point", DeLay did nothing obviously or he would have been found guilty by now and the prosecutor wouldn't have let up when DeLay vacated his seat.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 10:15:09 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2007, 10:16:52 AM by Snowguy716 »

Idiot.  You're as hackish as they come.  And since you find it alright to personally attack someone when you can't come up with a constructive response, I'll insult you.  Again, YOU'RE (contraction for YOU ARE) an idiot.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 09:38:35 AM »

Idiot.  You're as hackish as they come.  And since you find it alright to personally attack someone when you can't come up with a constructive response, I'll insult you.  Again, YOU'RE (contraction for YOU ARE) an idiot.
The only person hackish in this discussion is Ronnie Earl, you are pretty blind if you can't DeLay's prosecution was a partisan witch hunt.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 12:51:13 PM »

*Sigh*

Can we agree on a few points here?  Some common ground perhaps?

1. Bill Jefferson is a sleaze.  Not only should the Dems be throwing him under the bus, they should be backing it up over him a few times just to be sure.

2. In general, Dems are more likely to throw each other under the bus than are Repubs.  This is both a good and a bad thing.  It makes a statement about the Dem loyalty to each other but also makes a statement about the Repubs willingness to follow the rule of law.

3. There are a great many partisan hacks from both sides of the aisle here.  Let's just refrain from the personal insults directed at each other.  Failure to do so turns this debate into a joke which ultimately leads to someone pulling out :

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies