Senate panel approves new warnings on cigarette packs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:25:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate panel approves new warnings on cigarette packs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate panel approves new warnings on cigarette packs  (Read 1219 times)
Everett
YaBB God

« on: July 27, 2007, 12:09:25 AM »

More Democrat hypocrisy. They don't want things like the patriot act to stop terror because it "may" bump into people's freedoms...yet they want to take away people's freedom to smoke....
Whilst I generally consider warning labels stupid and unnecessary (huh? Smoking actually causes cancer?), how exactly does putting them on cigarette packs constitute taking away the supposed "freedom" to smoke? I highly doubt that nutrition and ingredient labels on food products negatively affect the freedom to indulge unhealthily; consumers are perfectly free to ignore the warnings at their own peril if they choose. The Patriot Act directly infringes on civil liberties. Warning labels are pretty dumb, though I fail to see how they actively work to disrupt people's lives. If anything, one could easily argue that allowing smoking in public places is far more potentially disruptive than sticking warnings on everything.

Go ahead and attempt to draw a bogus comparison between the Patriot Act and including health warnings on cigarette packs, but don't complain when people don't take you seriously.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies