Thai Military Bans Political Activity (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:04:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Thai Military Bans Political Activity (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thai Military Bans Political Activity  (Read 1872 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: September 24, 2006, 04:17:49 PM »

This is horrible. I truely hope that the King can be pursueded to call for an immediate reinstatement of freedoms and democracy. This has the possibility of turning Thailand into another Burma controled by a ruling Junta. I somehow doubt that though the King will probably consider such a Junta as taking away power from him and thus leading back to a democracy within a year or two. I have to say that this was a horrible action that the Thai military put in place that is probably going to seriously inhibit Thailand's continuing economic development.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 04:28:42 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why would it inhibit economic developement?  Thai Rak Thai was instituting nationalist economic policies like limiting foreign ownership even more than in the past, and they had even frozen the construction of new foriegn-owned corporate retail such as Carrefour, Big-C, Tescos, and 7-11 due to the complaints of local retailers.  I doubt that a democracy ruled by the masses of rural poor is going to produce a governmental environment more pleasing to multinationals than a military dictatorship answerable to a monied elite.

Well it would inhibit economic development because of the lack of political stability that is brought on by a military coup and dictatorial government as a whole. While the last year or so in Thailand has been anything but stable it still had an elected government and it seemed as if most of the problems would be solved in the upcoming election. Democracy plus the promise of more stability within the democratic system usually puts investors on a better track. Military takeovers usually show to the international business community the lack of respect for law and protocol as well as the underlying fragility of democratic institutions. Also with a military coup the rule by fiat can be quite detrimental to the health of foreign investment. It is much easier for a dictator to nationalise all foreign owned industry than a democratically elected leader.

Also, whatever you say opebo, Thaksin never took measures that the Junta is now taking. He didn't ban opposition parties or ban protests by those who opposed him. He was ruthless, cunning, and despicable but he was hardly the autocrat that the Generals seem to be.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 06:26:05 PM »

Also, whatever you say opebo, Thaksin never took measures that the Junta is now taking. He didn't ban opposition parties or ban protests by those who opposed him. He was ruthless, cunning, and despicable but he was hardly the autocrat that the Generals seem to be.

That is a good point, Colin.  I have to believe that he did not do so merely because he had insufficient power to accomplish it, though.

I have to agree with you there although it is possible that the Junta could bring in someone more palatable to the people or more dictatorial material if they do want to stay in power. The final decision rests with the King and he doesn't seem to be a leader that is easily pushed around.

I have to agree with you there though I also think that it is also affecting some anti-Junta protests from former opponents of Thaksin. I'm surprised there hasn't been more desturbances in the countryside since a vast majority are Thaksin supporters.

I have to agree with you there but the more worrying thing is that it again solidifies the military's role in the political sphere which it had given up over the past 15 years of democracy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies