Ask Me Anything about Canada, anything at all (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:39:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Ask Me Anything about Canada, anything at all (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ask Me Anything about Canada, anything at all  (Read 1712 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« on: April 09, 2020, 11:58:31 PM »

Is bagged milk really a Canadian thing or just a weird Ontario thing?  My friends in BC say there's no bagged milk to be found over there

Also:  what do you consider the main cultural differences (if any) between Canada and the U.S.?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »

Our culture is hard to explain. My view is that most people aren't conservatives and we view conservatives as a minority group. The thing though is that of the non-conservative majority, MANY are economic centrists and not leftists. Most non-immigrants are center-left or left on social issues, at least compared to Americans. Most people like our laws on healthcare, guns and gay rights, and don't even view them in left/right contexts.

That may be true in Ontario, but folks in Western Canada would have no qualms calling themselves "conservatives" would they?

Also, most of what you describe would seem to be a political difference (i.e., differences in how issues are framed and discussed) rather than a true cultural difference between Canada and the United States.  IMO, the cultural heritage of the U.S. and Canada is the most similar of any two countries in the world.  What say you?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies