What's your occupation? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:59:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What's your occupation? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's your occupation?  (Read 8863 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« on: December 29, 2004, 07:51:14 PM »
« edited: December 29, 2004, 07:55:49 PM by Richius »

I'm not surprised, with some views you've showed here.

I'm a junior in university (4 year program) doing a bachelor of mathematics with business as my major and risk and insurance as my option.  I want to be an actuary.

I also run my own business fixing people's computer troubles in my little town.

I want to create another business with my mom...  a spa of some kind.

I also want to eventually go into law, do a Master's in mathematics, and a bachelor in arts (history + languages).

I'm also interested in getting a job in the military or CIA or something as a translator of some kind, as my goal is to learn 5 more languages before 2007 or so.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 10:25:40 PM »

It is amazing how all the red avatar people are either unemployed or rich because they inherited the money.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 10:38:28 PM »

2 did not say it but are students as well as being unemployed
So?  Being a student is no excuse for being unemployed.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 11:29:26 PM »

I'm not surprised, with some views you've showed here.

I'm a junior in university (4 year program) doing a bachelor of mathematics with business as my major and risk and insurance as my option.  I want to be an actuary.

I also run my own business fixing people's computer troubles in my little town.

I want to create another business with my mom...  a spa of some kind.

I also want to eventually go into law, do a Master's in mathematics, and a bachelor in arts (history + languages).

I'm also interested in getting a job in the military or CIA or something as a translator of some kind, as my goal is to learn 5 more languages before 2007 or so.

You should really check out some of the internship/scholarship programs offered by the CIA, State Department, or DoD.  I'm not too familiar with them, but I want to do something similar...analytical work, probably (I only speak Spanish, English, and just a bit of French right now...nothing that is in demand).  They do have some really good programs that could get you a jump-start on a graduate education.

They have that little annoying thing at the bottom of the forms that state "American citizens only."

I won't be an American citizen for FIVE f'ing years when I move there. Sad Sad Sad Sad  I feel so unhappy.  I'd even serve in the military as a grunt if it would speed up the process.  HELP
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 11:44:04 PM »

Wha!?  That's too bad, especially considering how badly they need qualified translators.  You might check to see if their internship programs are exclusive, as well (but I have a feeling they might be).

You might consider a stint in the Air Force (or Army/Marines/Navy if they suit you) to speed up the process, but be sure of what you're getting in to.  Those recruiters would talk fancy to you...

You could always marry an American citizen Smiley
Marrying an American is my plan.  But the problem is that only gets me a green card, not citizenship.  Citizenship is 5 years away.

And the military, well, maybe, but once again, to get an officer's commission you need citizenship.

It is sad but they are unlikely to trust a foreigner with national security issues, even if I am a WASP that will vote Republican for decades to come, will have an American flag in every room in my house, and will put Ann Coulter statues in my garden.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 11:55:24 PM »

Marrying an American is my plan.  But the problem is that only gets me a green card, not citizenship.  Citizenship is 5 years away.

And the military, well, maybe, but once again, to get an officer's commission you need citizenship.

It is sad but they are unlikely to trust a foreigner with national security issues, even if I am a WASP that will vote Republican for decades to come, will have an American flag in every room in my house, and will put Ann Coulter statues in my garden.

Hmmm, I'm not familiar enough with immigration and naturalization policy to know if there is another fast-track way that we're missing.  But I do know people...I could put in a good word for you with some Congressmen.
Thank you.  I will keep that in mind.  You never know what might come up. Smiley
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 03:41:22 PM »

If you want to get out of Canada that badly you should join the French Foreign Legion. You don't even need to speak French, they teach it to you. Then after four years of service you become a French citizen.

Since your Candian you probably already speak French, no? Anyway, France is pretty rightwing and quite racist. You might like it.
Um, rightwing as in Stalin?  Or as in Lenin?  And I'm not racist.  So that would be a bad move.  I have issues with the French.  No.  They would execute me in the first week.  After making it legal.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 03:48:28 PM »

No, rightwing as in de Gualle. And aren't you bi? That's very French.
de Gaulle?  Rightwing?  Do you even know what rightwing is?  And bi is French?  What??
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 03:53:43 PM »

Yes de Gualle, the man that launched wars in Indochina and Algeria, the man who's goverment declared homosexuality a mental illness, the man who instituted conscription, the man who's party fought for privatisation, the man who was adamantly against European integration. That sounds pretty right wing to me mate!
And today's government is like his government...?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Citation?  You're full of crap.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 04:01:53 PM »

Yes today's government is like his government. The Guallist party is ruling.
Right.  That is of course why there are no government corporations, why Chirac declared war on Iraq, is opposed to any gay "rights," has withdrawn from Kyoto, and notified the EU that they will not be joining the EU afterall and will reinstitute the Franc.

You're grossly generalizing and making this up.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 04:05:52 PM »

You are possibly the biggest fool I've come across in a long time. You have absolutely NO knowledge of French politics, so I don't see the point of continuing this conversation with you. I will not be responding to whatever insane post you come up with next.
Advancing to the rear, are we?  You lost. Smiley
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 04:12:35 PM »

France is "right wing" in its own French sort-of way.  Chirac is from the center-right coalition, but anything French is NOT what Richius is looking for.  He'll soon be at home in the US.
What they call right-of-center is far left.  It is just that there center is so far left even Stalin would have been right-of-center.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 05:21:58 PM »

I have no clue why Republicans think France is such a leftist nation. Can you see someone such as Le Pen being so succesful here? Not to mention it's probably one of the most racist countries in the world, certain parts are still like the 50's era South
Le Pen?  How is he successful here?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 05:25:53 PM »

I have no clue why Republicans think France is such a leftist nation.
Maybe because they tax so much?  And they have a really lavish welfare system.  Really lavish.  National healthcare.  National pension.  National telephone company.  National power company.  Etc.  Definitely not my type of right-wing.  Maybe some crazy bizarre Europen right-wing, but not real right-wing.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 05:36:43 PM »

I have no clue why Republicans think France is such a leftist nation.
Maybe because they tax so much?  And they have a really lavish welfare system.  Really lavish.  National healthcare.  National pension.  National telephone company.  National power company.  Etc.  Definitely not my type of right-wing.  Maybe some crazy bizarre Europen right-wing, but not real right-wing.

France is slated to go bankrupt in 2006 because of its elaborate social welfare system.

The word is "Pension system" NOT "Welfare system". Outside pensions, the French government's services are pretty mean for normal people.
Pension is welfare.  People receiving pension are people that are too lazy to work and think they're entitled to sit on their asses and get money.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 05:44:46 PM »

Pension is welfare.  People receiving pension are people that are too lazy to work and think they're entitled to sit on their asses and get money.

I appear to be seeing things... have you just accused the elderly of being:

"too lazy to work and think they're entitled to sit on their asses and get money."

Huh??
Absoin'lutely.  If you're in good health, you should work.  There is no excuse, not even age, for not doing work in order to sustain yourself.  If you have enough money, more power to you.  If you don't, work.  Being a parasite and receiving stolen money from other people that actually worked for it is disgusting and criminal in my mind.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 06:00:18 PM »

I'm pleased I do.  Working is such a foreign concept for Democrats no wonder unemployed people vote Democrat.  It is just awful that one must work in order to live, eh?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 06:18:30 PM »

I'm pleased I do.  Working is such a foreign concept for Democrats no wonder unemployed people vote Democrat.  It is just awful that one must work in order to live, eh?

I just did a tally of all of the responses.  Here's the results as far as I can tell:

# of working Democrats: 8
# of working Republicans: 7
# of unemployed Democrats: 7
...who are currently in school: 6
# of unemployed Republicans: 7
...who are currently in school: 7

I counted myself as employed even though I don't get paid because I have a volunteer job that I work at for basically most of my weekends.

Wow, yeah, Democrats sure are all unemployed slackers.
The 300 million non-forum goers are included in my summary.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 06:25:29 PM »

Okay, since all people who vote Democratic are lazy, unemployed slobs, surely CNN's exit polls will show that, right?

Do you work full time?

Yes (60%) - Bush 53% Kerry 45%
No (40%) - Bush 51% Kerry 49%

Oops!  Nope, sorry, try again!
The exit polls also showed Kerry winning.  Dude, I will have a degree in statistics.  Try again.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2004, 06:30:08 PM »

That made no sense whatsoever.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 06:41:58 PM »

Bush won both of the above demographics.  I'm not exactly sure what your point is.  Should more of the "No" voters have gone to Kerry?  Surely if the exit polls were tilted in Kerry's favor, that would just mean that Bush would get a higher percentage in either or both of those two categories.
I'm questioning the accuracy of your numbers.  You're trying to quite a statistic, when the underlying methodology is flawed.  You cannot perform any reason or logic on such an experiment or trial.

I'm rejecting exit polling numbers.  The manner in which they were conducted is fundamentally flawed, and any mathematician can tell you that.  No one that voted in advance were polled, for example.  And we can raise issues over the time of day too.  And the locations, because most exit polls were performed in the cities.  So, don't quote them to me please.  They're biased, for or against me, I don't care, but they cannot be used to make any real claim.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004, 06:44:43 PM »

Okay, answer this then: how do you know that all Democrats are lazy, unemployed people if you don't trust exit polls?
People tend to vote what works best for them.  People receiving financial aid will vote for whomever will give them more.  People in jail will vote for whomever will get them out faster.  (In most cases.)

For both of those, Democrats is the party of choice.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2004, 06:46:06 PM »

Not all Democrats. A lot of poor people in cities vote Democrat, though.

Poor people != unemployed people.
Unemployed is a subset of poor.  Try to use some logic here, ok?  Any claim made for poor people automatically goes for unemployed, because in general, all unemployed people are poor.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2004, 06:51:28 PM »

And for the greedy rich, they will vote Republican. For those who want to shoot people, Republican, too. Hate groups against minorities? Republicans - they're against affirmative action.
Yes you're right.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to keep the money you earned, wanting to defend yourself, and being against racism (such as AA).

Absolutely.  There are charities out there that are very generous.  The government is not the solution.

No, it doesn't mean all Democrats are lazy.  It means that all lazy people are Democrats.  (In general.)  There is a difference.

And by the way, the KKK folks over at Stormfront endorsed Kerry.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2004, 06:53:03 PM »

I think it's rather ironic that a lot of the posters on here are students (young ones at that), yet they're writing about how easy it is for anyone who wants a job to get one!
That is because out of 6 co-op semesters, I've always found one.  My dad has been through 6 companies in the last 5 years, and he has always found a job.  And my mom has always been employed too.  The economy is booming in both Canada and the United States and employment is plentiful.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies