Percentage of the population vote based on letter next to the candidates name?! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 12:06:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Percentage of the population vote based on letter next to the candidates name?! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Percentage of the population vote based on letter next to the candidates name?!  (Read 4275 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« on: June 26, 2020, 07:38:53 AM »
« edited: June 26, 2020, 07:53:09 AM by StateBoiler »

Let me share a story about my home state of North Carolina and how corrupt the North Carolina Democratic Party were.

North Carolina was a solidly Democratic state from the end of Reconstruction until the 1970s/1980s. Around that time the North Carolina Democratic Party started to hate the national Democratic Party. They knew they had a lot of voters that would vote reliably Democrat in state races but did not care for the likes of Mondale/Dukakis. So they setup a straight ticket device to where you had a free vote for President but you would then vote straight ticket for every other race on the ballot. That way you could vote for the Republican for president and Democrat for everything else. Or you could have voters that would just vote straight ticket thinking they were fine, but would not cast a vote for President. (There were instructions on the ballot clearly stating you must vote for President and then vote straight ticket if you wished. But I'm sure some voters did not pay attention.)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 07:52:19 AM »

sh**t like this is why I think voting straight ticket should be banned. Makes voters at least give some thought to their choices rather than hitting one button and leaving.

I am not memorizing dozens and dozens and dozens of judicial candidates.

Texas Democratic Party just lost their suit to have the straight ticket device reinstated. The judge, an Obama appointee, said they did not demonstrate concrete injury and their argument it would lead to longer wait times at polling places due to taking longer to fill out a ballot was only speculative.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies