is it time to re-examine the criminal justice system? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:00:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  is it time to re-examine the criminal justice system? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is it time to re-examine the criminal justice system?  (Read 1524 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »
« edited: October 17, 2013, 11:58:29 PM by Redalgo »

I reckon we'd be better off with a much greater emphasis on rehabilitation and a restorative, not retributive, justice system. Civil law also seems a bit more attractive to me than common law. No more death penalty and no life sentences without parole, but there should be some way to keep criminals in prison indefinitely if they clearly still pose a sufficiently serious threat to others.

My overarching perspective is that the criminal is someone who is acting in a way unfairly hindering the free exercise of others' rights and, though still valuable and entitled to many rights under the terms of the social contract they have with the state, need to be placed in environs controlled enough to prevent more inappropriate acts / violations of the contract from being perpetrated.

The way I see it, justice is done: for victims when the offenders have done everything reasonable within their power to make reparations and the state does everything reasonable in its power to protect victims from further harm; for offenders when victims are placated sufficiently that they will not seek extrajudicial retribution and the state treats them humanely - with dignity, respect, and with concern for their (hopefully) eventual restoration as productive and free members of society; and justice is done for the state and everyone else in the country negotiating with it when the constitutionally codified terms of their social contract are upheld (as a matter of mutual interest).

Snowguy's post is something I can stand by 100%, as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies