shy clinton factor (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:46:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  shy clinton factor (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: shy clinton factor  (Read 1397 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: October 28, 2016, 02:16:36 AM »

I definitely think shy clinton is far more common than shy trump - for a lot of the same reasons as shy Obama was always more than shy Romney. Demographics are destiny - and Trump sealed his own fate a long time ago - and a lot of voters marked "unlikely" are going to come out in droves to vote for Clinton, especially in the hispanic community. White men think their wives are going to vote for Trump, the reason why they believe there is a shy trump effect, but their wives are really going to vote for Clinton. And of course, there are people at the ballot box, facing their possible decision of voting for Trump, and ending up not going through with it because of WHO HE IS. These are right-leaning independents or even Republicans who are "for" trump but have been fighting with the idea of voting for him because, well, he's Trump.

As I’ve said many times in these threads, a polling error due to the likely voter models being wrong isn’t a “Shy” effect.  It’s the pollsters getting their sample selection wrong.  A “Shy X” effect is when the pollsters are wrong not because they messed up the sample, but because they’re being lied to, because poll respondents don’t want to reveal their true voting intentions.

And again, it’s also not about people “being shy” in public, or not telling their neighbors or even spouses who they’re voting for.  It’s about them not telling pollsters.  I don’t see any way to predict which candidate would be more likely to benefit from that kind of effect.  But I also don’t think it’s going to be that significant.  My hunch is that the more likely source of pollster error will be bad sample selection rather than deception on the part of those being polled.

Clearly Trump would benefit from this effect if anyone in this election would.  People who support Trump are often openly ostracized by their peers and/or boycotted as a business (see, e.g., Peter Thiel).  The same is not true for saying that you are voting for Clinton, as the SJWs are on her side.

That said, I doubt there is enough of a shy Trump effect to overcome his deficit in the polls.  If he were behind only a point or two, then maybe, but he's down 5-6.

Trump underperformed his polls, Clinton generally over-performed (MI being the obvious exception) - outside of the bizarre victim mentality of Trump supporters (the irony of which is sad and adorable), I see NO evidence of a genuine shy Trump effect, there is however, evidence of a shy Clinton effect. This might come as a shock to some Trump supporters that facts are not the same as your feelings
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies