Man Accidentally Killed by Police Choke Hold in Staten Island (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:10:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man Accidentally Killed by Police Choke Hold in Staten Island (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Man Accidentally Killed by Police Choke Hold in Staten Island  (Read 8611 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 25, 2014, 04:09:54 AM »

Three things caused this man's death:
A.the law about selling loose cigs
2.Mr. Garner not cooperating with the cops (he had been arrested several times before without resisting)
III.the chokehold
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:23:24 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 01:41:57 PM by dead0man »

The only thing that caused his death was the chokehold. Why did they have to be brutal on some guy who's 400 pounds? What can he really do?
He resisted arrest.  Cops can't let people go that physically resist arrest.

I agree that the law is dumb and the cop(s) acted poorly, but Mr Garner instigated the actions by resisting.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:05:07 PM »

Do the people who are defending these guys realize that there was no evidence Garner was even selling untaxed cigs at all?
He'd been arrested for that very thing (I think) 3 times before.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
fact
"butchered"?  really?

No, there is no evidence (other than being a repeat offender of the crime he was accused of) he was guilty (there is no evidence he's innocent either, but that's not as important), but there is 100% evidence he resisted.  His resisting is what lead to his death.  I'm sure he didn't know his resistance was going to lead to him having a heart attack, I'm also sure the cop didn't think his choke hold was going to lead to a dead dude.  As I said in my original post on the matter, 3 things lead to this guy's death:
A.he resisted
2.cops acting poorly
III.dumb law
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 05:07:47 AM »

Previous arrest is not evidence though. You can't just arrest somebody for something you have zero evidence for just because they were previously arrested for doing that thing.
I'm not saying that's WHY he was arrested, me and you don't know sh**t about whether he was breaking the law.  All I'm offering is that it's quite likely he was doing it because he's done it before.
That is in INSANE.  You can't fight a cop and win, you just can't.  Argue with the judge later, nothing good is come from fighting a cop.  That is advice for everybody, not just criminals.  DON'T FIGHT COPS!  You'll get the exact same advice from nearly everybody that works in the criminal justice system, no matter which "side" they are on.
He's gotten out of bed everyday of his life and didn't get put in a choke hold by a cop.  He's even been arrested before without getting put in a choke hold.  Why? because presumably he didn't resist those other times.  The resistance is key and we can't ignore it.

AGAIN, I'm not putting all the blame on Mr Garner, the cops did wrong too and the law is bad, but to hand wave away the resistance (or as you're doing, encouraging it) is insane.
That's not much different from how a rapist defends his crime ("She had it coming, Your Honor!!").
Except that it's not the same at all.
that three things lead to Mr Garner's death, only one of which was the fault of a cop and THAT was avoidable had the law or Mr Garner not been wrong first.
Perhaps he will, but he won't get a murder rap no matter how much the cop haters cry for it, and he wouldn't deserve it either.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 06:03:55 AM »

I'm not sure if anybody here cares about the actual story beyond their recreational outrage, but the 4 EMS (ambulance crew standing around) have been suspended without pay and the cop has had his (no doubt by a black and angry chief*) gun and badge taken away from him.

*to be clear, that is a joke on the typical Hollywood police chief that is normally black and ALWAYS angry....'cause he just got off the phone with the mayor and the mayor was chewing his ass out.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 06:18:19 AM »

I'm not saying that's WHY he was arrested, me and you don't know sh**t about whether he was breaking the law.  All I'm offering is that it's quite likely he was doing it because he's done it before.
So every person who has ever committed a crime should be arrested because they've likely committed that crime again?
AGAIN, I'm not saying his past crimes is the evidence.  We (me AND you) don't know what evidence the cops had.  I don't understand why this is hard to understand.
Garner's "fighting" basically amounted to him verbally arguing with the cops and waving his arms a few times. You're telling me he has no right to do either of those things when he's being arrested for a crime there's no evidence for?[/quote]Yes.  Argue with the judge, not the cop.  You can win against the judge, you CAN NOT WIN against a cop.
Probably because he wasn't spotted by a messed up cop with a history of sadistic bullying. Also, given that he was actually guilty in the previous incidences his arresters presumably had some actual evidence.

[/quote]Or he just didn't resist those times, seems much more likely.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »

I guess we should be happy that THIS is the best the cop haters have to outrage over.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies