Richard Dawkins: A world with no God would be immoral (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:24:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Richard Dawkins: A world with no God would be immoral (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Richard Dawkins: A world with no God would be immoral  (Read 2047 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: November 02, 2019, 10:21:22 PM »

Interesting turnaround, but I just don't think Dawkins has much credibility on this particular subject. He didn't convince me when he used to insist the opposite of this, and he doesn't convince me now.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:09:31 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2019, 09:15:55 PM by Eastern Kentucky Demosaur fighting the long defeat »

Unless you think god has established morality which it is
now bound by which means it exists outside of god.

It's my understanding--I'm hoping one of our Jewish posters can correct me if I'm mistaken about this--that in certain currents of Jewish thought this is the position of the Torah, a covenant binding on God as well as on humanity; the moral logic underlying the mitzvot isn't conditional on God's continuing to uphold it, it just is, the way laws of physics just are (or, for that matter, the way God Himself just is). I was saying to Antonio privately the other day that I think this is at least as strong an a priori definition of what morality is as divine command; he observed that the problem with it is that it still doesn't provide any non-revealed grounds for getting at the content of moral facts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies