UK By-elections thread, 2021- (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:50:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021- (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 182762 times)
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2024, 06:49:15 AM »

An absolute nightmare of a coalition here...

Objectively talented as he is, Galloway is losing his touch: this isn't Scotland, none of his target voters care about self-ID. He'd have been better off talking about immigration. Anyway I wonder how Gillian Duffy voted: last I read, she's still alive and living in the constituency.

She was a drinking pal of Danczuk when he was MP IIRC.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2024, 12:58:51 PM »

It's amazing that the world hasn't collapsed under the weight of Galloway's ego already. I suspect it might after that speech Sunak has just delivered.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2024, 09:11:01 AM »

Here's the last time Galloway was 'sworn in' to Parliament:

A few things to note about it are:

- His sponsors are the late Sir Peter Tapsell (the then-Father of the House and the last MP who was a successful candidate in the 1959 election) and...I'm drawing a blank on the other MP, someone will probably fill me in.

- Galloway is made to say his affirmation (affirmation being an interesting choice for a believer in God, I suppose it has something to do with his Republicanism?) so that the 'House can hear'.

- Michael Gove can be seen and heard giving Galloway his congratulations.

- Alan Duncan (who I think shares some of Galloway's views) seems quite jovial towards Galloway as he heads towards the Speaker's Chair.

- There is quite a loud chant of 'hear hear' as Galloway walks towards the Chair, not something usually heard on these kinds of occasions, or at least not to that extent.

- Galloway and Bercow have a seemingly nice conversation, it would have been interesting to know what they chatted about. Do I notice a very slight grimace on Bercow's face just after the conversation ends?
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2024, 09:47:21 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2024, 09:57:56 AM by TheTide »

Here's the last time Galloway was 'sworn in' to Parliament:

A few things to note about it are:

- His sponsors are the late Sir Peter Tapsell (the then-Father of the House and the last MP who was a successful candidate in the 1959 election) and...I'm drawing a blank on the other MP, someone will probably fill me in.

- Galloway is made to say his affirmation (affirmation being an interesting choice for a believer in God, I suppose it has something to do with his Republicanism?) so that the 'House can hear'.

- Michael Gove can be seen and heard giving Galloway his congratulations.

- Alan Duncan (who I think shares some of Galloway's views) seems quite jovial towards Galloway as he heads towards the Speaker's Chair.

- There is quite a loud chant of 'hear hear' as Galloway walks towards the Chair, not something usually heard on these kinds of occasions, or at least not to that extent.

- Galloway and Bercow have a seemingly nice conversation, it would have been interesting to know what they chatted about. Do I notice a very slight grimace on Bercow's face just after the conversation ends?

12 years on and Gove once again congratulated Galloway, at least in a nodding form. However, Galloway swore rather than affirmed this time. Hoyle seemed to want the conversation over quickly (the video below cuts before it is shown). Galloway is without his now-trademark hat, presumably because it goes against Parliamentary dress code. Oh, and Sir Peter Bottomley is wearing a tie in Ukraine flag colours. I think Stephen Flynn is the other sponsor.

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2024, 12:52:26 PM »

Try this burger, if you dare:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186332-d6479548-r851948815-Higgitt_s_Las_Vegas_Amusements-Blackpool_Lancashire_England.html
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2024, 03:04:41 AM »

Briefings reform might come 2nd are surely an effort to expectations manage??

Is it based upon anything substantial or just a hunch going by the national polls? I haven't really heard anything about Reform putting much of an effort in.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2024, 10:53:17 PM »

26% swing or thereabouts.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies