US With British Parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:24:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  US With British Parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US With British Parties  (Read 41894 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« on: June 23, 2013, 02:23:40 AM »

Quite impressive.  I wonder though if this analysis underestimates Labour support and overestimates Lib Dem support however.

I think "New Democrats" like Clinton would be New Labour not Lib Dems - first of all, it's the larger party and ambitious pols will be attracted to it; second Clinton's welfare reform and emphasis on "personal responsibility" is in fact quite Giddens-inspired.

Obama too I think would be Labour, maybe more Ed than David Miliband.

You're quite right I think about the difference between British Tories and US Republicans.  The David Cameron model would not fly in the South!

Also, Respect is a bit tricky as there is no concentration of lower income South Asian Muslims as in the UK.  Outside of NYC, US South Asians are mostly pretty much affluent Indian American Hindu professionals.

Another question: how about Jews?  Obviously they would be much more Tory than GOP.  I think in the UK the more religious/orthodox Jews are more Tory and secular Jews more Labour.   On paper secular Jews sound like Lib Dems but I don't think they vote for them in particularly high numbers.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:33:31 AM »

How would Asian American groups vote in a UK party scenario?

Would Chinese, Koreans and Indian Hindus vote Tory as the "entrepreneurial party"?  How about Filipinos?

White Catholics I assume vote largely Labour though perhaps they'd go Tory in a big swing.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 11:27:27 PM »

Given the results, how would a Cameron vs. Miliband matchup gone?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies