Future of the Globalization vs Nationalism divide (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:11:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Future of the Globalization vs Nationalism divide (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Future of the Globalization vs Nationalism divide  (Read 490 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« on: August 04, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »

I'm not sure if globalization vs. nationalism is the right dichotomy here. Russia, Iran, and China all have strongly nationalist governments, but are also extremely active in global affairs and maintain a global military presence. Meanwhile, countries like Iceland, South Africa, and New Zealand are not exactly nationalist stalwarts, but do tend to take a backseat in global affairs and don't exactly go around the world trying to impose their will. I think there are two more accurate dichotomies to look at: Globalization vs. isolationism and multiculturalism vs. (ethno)nationalism. While people will often use the language of the former to discuss the later (see Brexit), they are definitely separate debates. As far as the former goes, unless you're in North Korea, globalization has won out, and debates over things like TPP and NAFTA are just fussing around the edges. As far as multiculturalism vs. nationalism goes, I think it's more anybody's game, even if I fall strongly on the multicultural side of the debate. I don't see this argument being "resolved" or "won out" anytime in the coming decades, or even within my lifetime, as much as I may want to live in the Star Trek world.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies