Two Die After Using Abortion Pill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:49:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Two Die After Using Abortion Pill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two Die After Using Abortion Pill  (Read 1879 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: March 19, 2006, 07:24:13 AM »

7 people since 2000?  That's a very small number.  Our society seems to have lost any sense of the concept of risk.  Every medical procedure has risk, and this sounds like a very low risk.

I'm curious how many people in total have used the pill.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 09:11:28 AM »

7 people since 2000?  That's a very small number.  Our society seems to have lost any sense of the concept of risk.  Every medical procedure has risk, and this sounds like a very low risk.

I'm curious how many people in total have used the pill.

The problem with the media is that it provides no context, and most people don't seem to be capable of asking the right questions in order to obtain context.

The most logical question is, as you said, how may people used the pill during the period that 7 people died using it.  That would give us a good sense of the risk, since it would be expressed in terms of percentage, not raw numbers, which are meaningless without context.

It is so easy to distort things when you don't provide context.

Actually, I think we both missed the "1 in 100,000 uses" statistic that was contained later in the article.  That would indicate that there would have been roughly 700,000 uses of the pill in total.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies