Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:29:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow  (Read 27111 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »

Just because someone comes out as gay, does not mean everyone should applaud or endorse such.

It's worthy of praise because he's in a relatively small minority that has been strongly discriminated against (and in some ways, continues to be).

Christians, however, are a large majority and it doesn't take much courage to declare that you belong to it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-espn-chris-broussard-sparks-uproar-after-jason-collins-remarks-20130429,0,1157118.story

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-chris-broussard-jason-collins-20130430,0,4496676.story

These two links are the same story and I did not realize Mr. Broussard clarified his remarks, but when ESPN says it was a respectful discussion of viewpoints, that seems like code for "the only viewpoint acceptable is applaud and endorsement of homosexual relations."

Which is akin to "discussing viewpoints" on whether someone should be black. Or a woman. Not sure what you want to discuss, applaud or endorse about that.

Any recognition is related to the courage it takes to come out as a member of a minority in an environment that discriminates against them.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »

The main point I'm trying to get across is that if the media is to be neutral on Christianity, not for or against, it should be neutral on homosexuality, neither for nor against.

I repeat:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »

The main point I'm trying to get across is that if the media is to be neutral on Christianity, not for or against, it should be neutral on homosexuality, neither for nor against.

Following this logic, the media should be neutral on both civil rights issues and the KKK. Wouldn't want to be unfair to either group.

At least allow dissenting view points without being forced to apologize.

America was designed with freedom of speech and that should be enforced and appreciated even when it comes to controversial topics like religion, politics, or sexual orientation.

See my last comment (which I have already repeated once). There aren't any "viewpoints" to discuss.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:09:03 PM »

Following this logic, the media should be neutral on both civil rights issues and the KKK. Wouldn't want to be unfair to either group.

At least allow dissenting view points without being forced to apologize.

America was designed with freedom of speech and that should be enforced and appreciated even when it comes to controversial topics like religion, politics, or sexual orientation.

See my last comment (which I have already repeated once). There aren't any "viewpoints" to discuss.

If this topic is ALL about courage, and has NOTHING to do with homosexuality, then I agree with you, but the media should allow dissenting view points that don't endorse, embrace, and applaud homosexuality.

You're still not understanding the problem. Would it be acceptable to recognize "dissenting view points that don't endorse, embrace and applaud" being black, for example?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »

Oh well, I am going to close this thread.  Like I said in the National Day of Prayer thread, I came into that thread and created this thread with my gloves on looking for a fight.  I don't want this to blow up any more than what is has.  We all have our different viewpoints, all of which should be expressed in the public arena without fear of ridicule, harassment, humiliation, etc.  The same goes for mainstream view points and outlandish and controversial view points like the demographic dissension that Andrew is talking about.  Everyone has their view points and everyone should be able to express them.  This is America, we are a Democracy, not a Dictatorship.

That's like trying to fight a group of people with machine guns with a rifle (symbolically for the quality of the arguments in this fight), to put it in Oklahoman terms.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »

I don't understand why we're even discussing what someone is allowed to say. Nobody ever suggested that anti-gay bigotry should be illegal.

It's just something Bushie came up with because he either missed the point or realized he couldn't win the debate without moving the goal posts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies