Opinion of Jesus Christ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:59:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Jesus Christ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Jesus!
FF

HP (Protest Vote)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Opinion of Jesus Christ  (Read 7852 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 29, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »

Negative for the same but opposite reason I think highly of Michael Vick. Despite Vick's obvious negatives, I think he's had an overall positive impact on the people who derive value from the things he does and says and the people they impact. The exact opposite could be said of the cult of character surrounding Jesus Christ.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »

________

There is really no good reason to sincerely vote HP except a knee-jerk animus towards anything redolent of religion, which is far more revelatory about the voter than about Jesus.

No good reason at all? Surely you're being facetious...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:22:49 PM »

There is really no good reason to sincerely vote HP except a knee-jerk animus towards anything redolent of religion, which is far more revelatory about the voter than about Jesus.
Why would you assume that?

Because of the multitude of valid reasons to view Jesus Christ negatively?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »

Why would you assume that?

Because of the multitude of valid reasons to view Jesus Christ negatively?

You and I have very different definitions of 'multitude', 'valid', and/or 'negative'.

Clearly. Centuries of injustices, persecution, murder, cultural dominance, and many more abuses count to me as a multitude of valid reasons to have a distaste for the one character it was all committed in the name of. I honestly have absolutely no understanding of how that can be completely ignored and brushed aside as either irrelevant, not negative, or invalid. So yes, there is certainly a massive disconnect between our understanding of those concepts.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »

I don't hate either one, but I certainly don't absolve them of all the atrocious wrongs committed in their names. Not to mention the devolving of both into caricatures of their causes, most severely in the case of Jesus.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »

So as long as you don't explicitly promote certain actions you're completely devoid of blame? I hate posting in the religion boards, you can't win no matter what you say or how much you try to hedge your assertions to avoid the deluge of unavoidable outrage at any criticism or acknowledgment of negative consequences. In my view, Jesus is nothing more than a fairy tale character regardless of his reality in whatever sense because of the worship of his legend. If taking the apparently arguable atrocities committed in the name of the legend of Jesus as an indictment of his legacy is radical or baseless, then paint me a bigot I suppose...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »

How do I respond to a complete lack of substance? I'm at a dead end...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 09:50:13 PM »

Negative for the same but opposite reason I think highly of Michael Vick. Despite Vick's obvious negatives, I think he's had an overall positive impact on the people who derive value from the things he does and says and the people they impact. The exact opposite could be said of the cult of character surrounding Jesus Christ.

This is getting to the point of being not worth posting about. If people are going to jump down my throat without offering anything of note to combat what it is I've actually said, what is there to debate? Dibble of course has original notions worth considering, and we agree in general. My original derivation of blame is in perfect alignment with what he just said, yet has gone unacknowledged in the unfortunately shallow criticism of what I've said...what a disappointment. There's so much to talk about, but evidently either I'm completely incapable of communicating my points or there's no desire among my detractors to actually delve into what it is I've asserted.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »

In my view, Jesus is nothing more than a fairy tale character regardless of his reality in whatever sense because of the worship of his legend.
What do you have against fairy tale characters, many of whom are more "real" than human beings who actually lived in terms of their impact on human life?  "Fictional" versus "Nonfictional" is a fairly irrelevant distinction.

My problem is the very fact that they are characters. There is no truth, just interpretation. That leaves the door wide open to abuse. The very impact Jesus has had as a character is why I have a distaste for the idea of deriving a heavy amount of moral and societal value from a character that can represent anything their audience stands for. Especially when there are so many pockets of bigotry littering the bible in the name of an indisputably dominant cultural figure. But I do agree that the distinction between fictional and nonfictional historical figures is weak. It all depends on their impact as a cultural mainstay. Jesus has had a horrendous impact on the world as both.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »

For the third time, no I'm not...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »

On the other hand, I tend to think that many who see Jesus' impact in mostly negative terms aren't putting their alternate history thinking caps on and/or are taking a great many things for granted that they shouldn't be.

Like what? What am I taking for granted that Jesus has given me?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »

It's striking how low of an opinion Christians have of humanity.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 05:40:27 PM »

It's striking how low of an opinion Christians have of humanity.
A low opinion of humanity seems quite reasonable on the evidence collected so far.

Of course what you say isn't true, or isn't entirely true. Christianity has both an extremely low and an extremely high opinion of humanity, and holds both views at exactly the same time. Children of God (and made in His image, etc) but sinners as well, capable of grotesque acts of wicked depravity and the like.

Very true. Most of that positive energy has been internalized while the negative the opposite though it seems. At least here in the US where there are only good, Christian Americans or Godless gay baby killers, no middle ground. That could just be pinned to increasingly pithy extremist political rhetoric.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies