Which of the following would you consider to be theft? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:17:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which of the following would you consider to be theft? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following would you consider to be theft?
Private property

Rent

Profit

Taxation

Looting stores

None of the above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of the following would you consider to be theft?  (Read 1458 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 26, 2020, 05:39:14 AM »

All of the above
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 04:23:47 PM »

I get why private property can be considered theft, "you can't own the land man, the land is for every living thing".  It's stupid, of course, but I get it.

I get why profit is theft, "why don't you spread that profit around man, you didn't 'work' for it".  It's stupid, of course, but I get it.

I get why taxation is theft, "they didn't work for it, they take it at the end of a gun, they are extremely wasteful with it when they aren't being corrupt sh**ts and they won't even tell you how much you owe, you have to figure that out yourself, and if you get it wrong, you can go to jail"  It's stupid (or is it?), but I get it.

I don't get how rent, by itself*, can be considered theft.  If you live under a roof you don't own, you should help pay for it.  Why would anyone let you live under their roof if you refuse?

*unless "rent" is just a short word for "private property"

Opposition to rent is derived from its dependence on private property laws. The exploitative aspect of profit and rent stem from the unearned income derived from merely having legal claim to private property. If you aren’t actively owning property (as in you, the owner, are using those tools/land/etc or occupying that dwelling), then it’s a passive income, which is unearned (i.e. theft).
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 07:30:22 PM »

I get why private property can be considered theft, "you can't own the land man, the land is for every living thing".  It's stupid, of course, but I get it.

I get why profit is theft, "why don't you spread that profit around man, you didn't 'work' for it".  It's stupid, of course, but I get it.

I get why taxation is theft, "they didn't work for it, they take it at the end of a gun, they are extremely wasteful with it when they aren't being corrupt sh**ts and they won't even tell you how much you owe, you have to figure that out yourself, and if you get it wrong, you can go to jail"  It's stupid (or is it?), but I get it.

I don't get how rent, by itself*, can be considered theft.  If you live under a roof you don't own, you should help pay for it.  Why would anyone let you live under their roof if you refuse?

*unless "rent" is just a short word for "private property"

Opposition to rent is derived from its dependence on private property laws. The exploitative aspect of profit and rent stem from the unearned income derived from merely having legal claim to private property. If you aren’t actively owning property (as in you, the owner, are using those tools/land/etc or occupying that dwelling), then it’s a passive income, which is unearned (i.e. theft).
why would anyone build a building someone else could live in under such a silly system?

That assumes selfish self-interest to be man’s primary motivator, rather than altruism and cooperation. People would build homes, work fields, labor in factories, perform customer service, prepare food, etc... to provide for others in their community because, in return, others will provide for them. There would be increased difficulty in terms of movement, which has to be worked out, when you won’t have an abundance of available, unoccupied housing units. However, you’d resolve the issue of homelessness when income is no longer the gatekeeper of housing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies