What does the AZ rejection of a ban on gay marriage mean?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:32:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What does the AZ rejection of a ban on gay marriage mean?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does the AZ rejection of a ban on gay marriage mean?  (Read 1232 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2006, 01:40:19 AM »

I haven't been able to find much about it, so I'm curious what the rejection in AZ of a ban on gay marraige means for gay marriage in that state. Can gay couples effectively get married in AZ now, is it left to the courts to decide, or is it still up in the air?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:51:15 AM »

I haven't been able to find much about it, so I'm curious what the rejection in AZ of a ban on gay marraige means for gay marriage in that state. Can gay couples effectively get married in AZ now, is it left to the courts to decide, or is it still up in the air?

As I understand it gay couples still can't get married in Arizona.  The Ammedment was to ensure that the decision would not be up to the courts, and would have made it that the corts can't state any laws banning Gay Marriage were Unconstitutional, as well as prohibiting future legislative action to legalize Gay Marriage.  I'm pretty sure gays still need either the courts to rule in their favor or the legislature to enact laws making gay marriage legal in order for gays to get married.
Deano963

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:43:01 AM »

I think one thing the failure of Arizona's anti-gay measure did was to dim the star of John McCain bit. He is supposedly this beloved pol who has a ton of influence, and he puts himself in these commercials supporting the amendment, in a red state no less, and it fails. Not only does it fail, but it was the first of its kind to fail. That definitely doesn't speak well of McCain that he can't even convince his own constituents to back something that more liberal states have had no trouble passing.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 10:53:33 AM »

Its great news that a gay marriage ban finally failed.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:24:14 AM »

Its amazing that it failed in Arizona, but passed two years ago in places like Oregon and Michigan Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:43:34 PM »

are all florida republicans a bunch of liberals?Huh

I think in the polls we've had, the majority of Republicans here are against gay marriage bans.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:11:19 PM »

I think in the polls we've had, the majority of Republicans here are against gay marriage bans.

Considering (remembering this is Alcon I will use extreme careful wording Smiley) I have reputable polls showing the majority of the country disapproves of gay marraige, this is actually startling.
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 04:17:21 PM »

I doubt it.  Im probably one of the few Republicans in Florida who actually supports legalizing gay marriage.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 04:23:24 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2006, 04:26:23 PM by afleitch »

Considering (remembering this is Alcon I will use extreme careful wording Smiley) I have reputable polls showing the majority of the country disapproves of gay marraige, this is actually startling.

But a majority accrding to polls does not support changing the constitution to ban gay marriage/civil unions. Quite the opposite infact. The US is pretty split down the middle when it comes to an issue like this

Fox and CBS polls for example have been 32 and 38% opposing any legal recognition for gay couples with the majority (57-60%) split over whether there should be gay marriage or simply civil unions.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 04:24:56 PM »

But a majority accrding to polls does not support changing the constitution to ban gay marriage/civil unions. Quite the opposite infact. The US is pretty split down the middle when it comes to an issue like this

Your point is right Afleitch, but I was just referring to gay marriage in general, I believe according to Rasmussen the only state that apporved was MA w/VT having a 49/49 split
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »

You're on the internets here. Republicans here are going to be a lot younger and a lot more libertarian than nationally. (Same goes for nonRepublicans o/c.) There is no reason for the forum to be representative of the nation.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:05:15 AM »

Don't get too excited.  Most likely the only reason it failed was because it would not only ban gay marriage but also civil unions.

Exactly!

If it had only been a ban on gay marriage it would have passed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 01:15:14 PM »

Don't get too excited.  Most likely the only reason it failed was because it would not only ban gay marriage but also civil unions.

Exactly!

If it had only been a ban on gay marriage it would have passed.
Given the size of the margin, that is indeed exceedingly likely.

I think such bans have passed elsewhere already, though. [Needs detailed list]

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies