Italy 2013: The official thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:35:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy 2013: The official thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Italy 2013: The official thread  (Read 233673 times)
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« on: February 12, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
« edited: February 12, 2013, 07:00:02 PM by Rocky152 »

I don't understand how Berlusconi, after all the scandals he's been through, can really be making such a remarkable comeback. Can somebody inform me on what exactly this guy's appeal is?
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:58 PM »

I'm not sure what "comeback" anyone sees for Berlusconi. The last polls behind the embargo consistently showed his coalition of parties 5 or 6 points behind the left and the 20% or so that would vote PdL is essentiually the bedrock 20% of Italians who will always vote for the rightwing option come hell or high water.

Yeah that's a good point. though I don't see how Berlusconi is still the conservative leader. they should have taken that from him right around the time of the fraud conviction.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »

I think even if Bersani convinces M5S to allow him to work with him, they will prove very difficult to work with in the long run.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »

Good to see M5S losing support. Unfortunately Berlusconi doesn't seem to have taken any damage at all from his conviction.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »

Yeah but the ban from public office hasn't been finalized yet and the statute of limitations will probably run out before they settle on that.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 04:21:22 PM »

Berlusconi party MPs resign to protest conviction: report
Aug. 2 (AFP) -- Lawmakers from Silvio Berlusconi's People of Freedom Party (PDL) tendered their resignation from Italy's parliament Friday to protest the tax fraud conviction against their leader, media reported.
News outlets in Italy reported that the MPs handed in their resignation to protest the landmark ruling against Berlusconi, who said after meeting them in Rome that his party was prepared to contest fresh polls.

Why would PDL members give up their careers for Berlusconi? It just seems stupid.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »

Berlusconi party MPs resign to protest conviction: report
Aug. 2 (AFP) -- Lawmakers from Silvio Berlusconi's People of Freedom Party (PDL) tendered their resignation from Italy's parliament Friday to protest the tax fraud conviction against their leader, media reported.
News outlets in Italy reported that the MPs handed in their resignation to protest the landmark ruling against Berlusconi, who said after meeting them in Rome that his party was prepared to contest fresh polls.

Why would PDL members give up their careers for Berlusconi? It just seems stupid.

Because they believe, with reason, that they will be reelected with a larger share of the vote than back in Feb 2013 riding the oppressed political opposition narrative.  They are ahead in the polls now so why not.

Yeah, I suppose but I still wouldn't risk it. It's not like Berlusconi could be the only capable center-right leader out there.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »

The Senate is meeting to debate Berlusconi's expulsion.

http://www.gazzettadelsud.it/news/english/60927/Senate-panel-meets-over-stripping-Berlusconi-of-seat.html

Well, looks like we can be expecting new elections within the next few weeks.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:18:07 PM »

Senate should vote in favor of Berlusconi’s expulsion from Parliament, 63% say; 30% against

Thank God, I was beginning to think everybody in Italy was insane!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies