SENATE BILL: Anti-Conscription Amendment (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Anti-Conscription Amendment (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Anti-Conscription Amendment (Failed)  (Read 7668 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: May 30, 2012, 10:18:09 PM »

Aye
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »

A possible suggestion, similar to the amendments TJ and I wrote up when this thing emerged before was to place strict conditions
a) that it could only happen if the Atlasian homeland was attacked
b) that there were exclusions for single-parent households, students, existing emergency workers and other essential service workers

We could pull that language back out of the trash can if this fails and maybe the senate is more open to compromise than it was four months ago. I still think that language could be problematic in some cases, like World War II for instance, and prefer Ben's Amendment since it allows greater flexibility for any situation that might arise. I, of course, am still open to my language Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »

A possible suggestion, similar to the amendments TJ and I wrote up when this thing emerged before was to place strict conditions
a) that it could only happen if the Atlasian homeland was attacked
b) that there were exclusions for single-parent households, students, existing emergency workers and other essential service workers

We could pull that language back out of the trash can if this fails and maybe the senate is more open to compromise than it was four months ago. I still think that language could be problematic in some cases, like World War II for instance, and prefer Ben's Amendment since it allows greater flexibility for any situation that might arise. I, of course, am still open to my language Tongue

That amendment passed the Senate.  It failed in three regions.

No, that was the version that gave the regions the power to conscript. The version that simply left the federal government with that power to conscript in case of a land invasion failed in the senate.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:04:03 PM »

Why do we need to change the status of all these territories just to make the language work on an amendment? Why don't we just change the wording to include Atlasian territories and deal all the rest of this separately? None of this really needs to have to do with this bill. (Not that I agree we should forcibly change the status of our territories, but that's a separate issue)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »

Nay
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »

Nay

I think a vote on the legislation itself would be better at this point.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:50:25 PM »

Nay
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »

I would like to change my vote to Aye.

I'm not in favor of an outright ban over conscription, but it is something that ought to be taken very seriously. Thus, I have decided to change my vote in favor of making it more difficult.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies