Poirot for Senate(s) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:37:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Poirot for Senate(s) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Poirot avoid running for office
Yes
No
Don't care
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poirot for Senate(s)  (Read 55316 times)
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« on: February 16, 2023, 07:14:19 AM »

IMO ripping one state from another region with military force cannot be compared to adding a state to the union peacefully through a sale and the consent of those affected (Greenlanders). Without their consent, the law won't come into effect as far as I know.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 12:04:44 PM »

I'm visiting Saint Paul in Minnesota (Fremont).

I would like the general public to follow more the debates in the Senate. The Congessional thread for the public was inactive for months. Do people not care about legislation that impacts their country and their lives or they use other forms of communications? I don't use discord so I can't debate outside the forum. I can only use the threads or private message. I think it's better to use threads. It also the public to understand the reason for a bill and the issue raised. Sometimes I wonder if there were discussions and deals made in private and the public is just presented with the end result.

When I look at the Senate there are so many threads I don't know where to start. I just give up or look at a couple if the title thread seems like something I find interesting. I would like for the Senate to have less legislation open at once. It will be easier to follow. Legislators will have time to concentrate on fewer bills. It gives time for legislators to carefully read the text, spot mistakes. You can have more time to research and think of issues. A legislator role is more than running on every thread to see is there is a vote ongoing.

I have heard some of your concerns. Nyman doesn't always hear you. There is a majority of people who doesn't want Greenland to be incorporated with the south yet the Senate is ready to authorize this power in one week. Major changes to the Supreme Court are considered and the people are split but you don't see equal voices in the Senate. Vote for me and I will be your voice.

Vote status quo. Vote Poirot.

Technically, wanting to return to the days of less legislation would be reactionary (wanting to return to the past). The "status quo" would be retaining the 18 Senators we have now, and the same pace of legislative action.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 09:38:44 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2023, 09:55:52 PM by West_Midlander »

I agree with Poirot that the Federalists are trying to rapidly change our country and we should stop these changes before it's too late.

This is fearmongering, plain and simple. And implying that there's a threshold at which it would be "too late," whatever that means, is implying that the Feds wants to end democracy, or at least fair elections, which is your party's history, not ours.

Also, we have 7 Senators, far less than the 9 required to tie in the Senate and 10 to win an outright majority (assuming everyone votes). The Federalist boogeyman, alone, isn't able to make change in Atlasia; it's a broad multipartisan coalition that was democratically elected which is making change.

I believe "the right" only has 9 Senators, anyway, and very few votes have gone to a tie with most votes passing with a large majority of the voting Senate in favor but making misrepresentations and obfuscations is easier than appealing to the electorate truthfully.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 02:30:26 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2023, 02:42:38 AM by West_Midlander »

Imo, as a former first-preference supporter on several occasions, simply saying that the democratically elected Senate doesn't represent a huge part of the electorate is not honest or accurate.

I will be staying tuned to your future campaigns though.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 05:22:12 AM »

I'm in Billings, Montana in Fremont.
Hello distinguished citizens of Montana. Tonight I will talk about one of my campaign theme: No proxy.

That means I am against this new form of voting that appeared in the Senate, proxy voting. I am my own person and I will cast my vote myself. I will not delegate it to someone else. I don't believe in ouija boards to decide in my name if I would vote aye or nay.

If we start this form of voting it could make inactive legislators stay in office when they shouldn't because they have the possibility of giving their vote to someone else. Or a future majority could decide to make the rules such as one person can collect many votes and that is not good for active presence either.

It seems a secret advantage was found in the Senate, the earn an extra vote advantage. Like in Survivor, if elected I will search the premises of the Senate building for hidden secret advantages. I won't even do it in secret. I will search the chamber, in the cafeteria, the office of the PPT, the library, behind statues etc. to find secret advantages. I don't know what is out there. It could be the advantage of void a vote, get an extra vote, control a vote, steal a vote.

I'm for present people getting to vote. I say present.

Thank you for coming out tonight and don't forget to vote Poirot for Senate At-Large.

Your Ouija board comment is just a straw man. To be completely honest, I came to expect better of you and as a previous 1st preference voter on at least two occasions, I don't think I can rank you this time, or perhaps dead last.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies