Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:26:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 915372 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: February 15, 2022, 06:09:50 PM »

Big if true….but trusting the Sun? That’s a gigantic leap of
faith.

Would you trust PBS? They reported four days ago they reported the following:

The United States believes Russian President Vladimir Putin has decided to invade Ukraine and has communicated those plans to the Russian military, Western and defense officials have told the PBS NewsHour.

Two additional administration officials tell the NewsHour that they expect the invasion to begin next week—reiterating what U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Feb. 10.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220211200039/https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/putin-to-invade-ukraine-next-week-according-to-u-s-officials

Interestingly enough however Sullivan was saying they didn't know yet. The headline was later changed, but not before it was widely reported.
I’m not saying the Sun is definitely wrong. But British tabloids do not the greatest track record when it comes to accuracy in reporting. If UK intelligence was able to find out the date and time of invasion, you might as well leak that information to a publication like the Sun. It’s more likely to get printed/publicized faster there than somewhere like the BBC, which would want thoroughly verify such information before publishing it.

Yes but in the latter case, it is straight from senior administration officials to PBS. There is no Sun involved.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #626 on: February 15, 2022, 06:19:42 PM »

Reading Wikipedia about the 2014 regime change makes grim reading. Putin wanted Ukraine and wanted it bad. Obviously he still does, and has been waiting for the right moment to make his move. Putin has an agenda, and to get what he wants will require force. I don't see any escape. And Putin is willing to pay the economic price, and I suspect has some assurances from China to help offset whatever economic damage results from sanctions. I will be very surprised if there is not a war by tomorrow or the next day. And unless the sanctions are but a fig leaf to it seem NATO did something, it is going to be another hit to the US economy. It looks all bad to me. The US/NATO just do not seem to have any cards that are actually playable to give Putin much pause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_of_Dignity
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #627 on: February 15, 2022, 06:21:58 PM »

Around a week ago I came to the conclusion Russia was very likely to invade.

This video is what convinced me Russia feels obliged to act now.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #628 on: February 15, 2022, 06:24:47 PM »

It’s 1 AM now.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #629 on: February 15, 2022, 06:30:06 PM »

Another western nothingburger.

Yawn, but I'll watch through the night.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #630 on: February 15, 2022, 06:30:38 PM »

Oh wow, another fake CIA talking point.

Yawn.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #631 on: February 15, 2022, 06:45:10 PM »

Oh wow, another fake CIA talking point.

Yawn.

They're claiming 1AM UK time, so another 75 minutes before your yawn.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #632 on: February 15, 2022, 06:47:46 PM »

Even I know there will be no invasion tonight
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #633 on: February 15, 2022, 07:03:33 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2022, 07:12:53 PM by KaiserDave »

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #634 on: February 15, 2022, 07:21:28 PM »

Doesn’t mean we can’t find it entertaining/exciting. I know I will.

We could be on the brink of something that will change this world forever. Isn’t that something to get your adrenaline running?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #635 on: February 15, 2022, 07:54:44 PM »

Let’s be honest: literally no one weird would’ve supported declaring war on the USSR in 1939/1940 despite all their forceful expansionist activities.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #636 on: February 15, 2022, 08:29:04 PM »

compucomp really is the worst poster on the site

Forever-COVID SALT Thatchercrat at home, tankie abroad? Yeah. Awful.

Anyway, looks like nothing tonight so far.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #637 on: February 15, 2022, 08:48:54 PM »

We could be on the brink of something that will change this world forever. Isn’t that something to get your adrenaline running?
This is something a psychopath would say, when a humanitarian disaster and a war is on the verge of happening. It is not "entertaining" or "exciting."
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #638 on: February 15, 2022, 08:53:43 PM »

This is something a psychopath would say, when a humanitarian disaster and a war is on the verge of happening. It is not "entertaining" or "exciting."

The dude's an avowed fascist-sympathizer, are you surprised?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #639 on: February 15, 2022, 08:58:37 PM »

Humanitarian disasters and wars are fertile grounds for revolution.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #640 on: February 15, 2022, 09:09:18 PM »

The world's better off as it is.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #641 on: February 15, 2022, 09:12:30 PM »

The world's better off as it is.
On the issue of “right to conquest” vs “right to territorial integrity”, I must go with the latter, so Russia is undoubtedly in the wrong here and shouldn’t invade. But that doesn’t mean that opportunity doesn’t come with wrong doing.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #642 on: February 15, 2022, 09:13:42 PM »

Well, sure, but if I want my adrenaline running I can just do some exercise or watch an action movie. I don't particularly want the threat of mass death to enter into it.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #643 on: February 15, 2022, 09:19:50 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2022, 09:58:56 PM by TheReckoning »

Well, sure, but if I want my adrenaline running I can just do some exercise or watch an action movie. I don't particularly want the threat of mass death to enter into it.
Full disclaimer: I’m not going to say I’m not being naive here- maybe I am, and maybe I’m letting my adventurous spirit getting in the way of my rational and ethical mind.

I typically view times of strife and challenge as times for opportunity and the furthering of myself and humanity.

But of course, that’s ignoring just how severe that strife/challenge can be in terms of consequence, which often end up destroying opportunities and holding back myself and humanity.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #644 on: February 15, 2022, 09:35:07 PM »

There is a similar excitement about the potential invasion that is much like a powerful hurricane or tropical cyclone approaching land. You know it’s gonna be bad, and maybe it’ll change at the last minute. I’m an atheist, so prayer doesn’t do much good. All I can do is watch and hope for the best possible outcome - a weakened Russia, a more unified European bloc, and eventually positive change in that part of then world.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #645 on: February 15, 2022, 09:49:56 PM »

Full disclaimer: I’m not going to say I’m not being naive here- maybe I am, and maybe I’m letting my adventurous spirit getting in the way of my rational and ethical mind.

I typically view times of strife and challenge as times for opportunity and the furthering of myself and humanity.

But Of course, that’s ignoring just his severe that strife/challenge can be in terms of consequence, which often end up destroying opportunities and holding back myself and humanity.

You make your signature look unironic but yeah. There is a part of all of us that wants to see the problem consummated. Some folks really want to watch the world burn but others just don’t like to watch these things fester.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #646 on: February 15, 2022, 09:51:07 PM »

But Of course, that’s ignoring just his severe that strife/challenge can be in terms of consequence, which often end up destroying opportunities and holding back myself and humanity.

You make your signature look unironic but yeah. There is a part of all of us that wants to see the problem consummated. Some folks really want to watch the world burn but others just don’t like to watch these things fester.

I have thought today and yesterday that if Putin is going to invade I'd rather he just get it over with because I prefer to accept bad news as a reality rather than dread it as a possibility, so on that level I guess TheReckoning has a point.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #647 on: February 15, 2022, 10:12:59 PM »

Let’s be honest: literally no one weird would’ve supported declaring war on the USSR in 1939/1940 despite all their forceful expansionist activities.

That's because a certain other power (that Im sure you're a fan of) was in the way.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #648 on: February 15, 2022, 10:47:32 PM »

The Sun is hardly a reliable source of information. However, they are hardly the only outlet that is reporting this.

I have a hunch that the invasion occurs soon. Just a matter of when.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #649 on: February 15, 2022, 11:40:43 PM »

So far, no invasion from Russia, which is for the best, I hope it continues.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies