Marines want out of Iraq
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:43:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Marines want out of Iraq
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marines want out of Iraq  (Read 1446 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:10:56 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/washington/11military.html?hp
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 10:13:33 PM »

Ummmmmm.....Why wouldnt they want out? I wouldnt want to be in a place like that either. Its risky, scary, and far away from home. Oh, theres also that 'lacking a purpose and being a meaningless killing spree by both sides' issue.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:40:23 PM »

Ummmmmm.....Why wouldnt they want out? I wouldnt want to be in a place like that either. Its risky, scary, and far away from home. Oh, theres also that 'lacking a purpose and being a meaningless killing spree by both sides' issue.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:42:05 AM »

Nice misleading title. They actually want to redeploy from Iraq into Afghanistan.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 01:17:18 AM »

the words are all accurate, but the sentence is a lie.  Nice.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 01:31:26 AM »

They actually want to redeploy from Iraq into Afghanistan.

Ugh, so would I. That Iraqi heat has got to be devastating. Probably more so on me than most on the Atlas. Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 02:27:39 AM »

You're post and this thread is nothing but pure b.s.  Even the ARMY is in favor of this - b/c both branches could be more effective.  Rename your title, memphis - and actually analyze the NYT piece, otherwise you just look like a partisan hack.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 08:25:10 AM »

Nothing I said is misleading or untrue. Afghanistan is out of Iraq.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 08:49:39 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2007, 09:03:49 AM by StateBoiler »

Yeah, their equipment is essentially shot and they need a breather. If you believe in fiscal discipline in government, your jaw is going to hit the floor when you see the bill in coming years for replacing all these aircraft and vehicles that have been destroyed by sand over time and they've been bypassing regular maintenance to keep their missions going.

Also, the Marines by far are the smallest branch of the armed forces so extended deployments hits them much harder than a much larger branch like the Army.

Afghanistan would be better for the resources they have as right now "controlling Afghanistan" is code for only controlling the city of Kabul. So they concentrate their time and energy on one area.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 09:00:47 AM »

I'm beginning to think its time to get out.  What scares me is that our next President may not bring them home, either.  A Giuliani administration, any Republican administration, would continue Bush's legacy and create an even bigger mess in Iraq and Afghanistan than there is now.  It also scares me that Clinton and Obama now cannot commit to having the troops out by the end of their first term.  I understand they really don't know what they will inherit when they take over the Oval Office, but 4 years (5 1/4 from now)? this war has already been going on for nearly 5 years, and by the time they take office it will be nearing the end of its sixth year.  Are they saying that this war, the war they hate so much, might last a full 10 years or more?  No war, except Vietnam lasted that long.

Thats why I am supporting Edwards and/or Richardson, is they will take measures to get us out of Iraq, I believe, by the end of their first year in office and completely out before the 2010 Mid-Term Elections.

If Clinton or Obama are the nominee, I will support them, because they have the next-best plan.  The Republicans want to keep us in there forever.  We can't afford to be in there forever.  We've already lost nearly 4,000 American troops and over 4,000 coalition troops.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 01:40:06 PM »

Nothing I said is misleading or untrue.

A fox can't smell his own hole.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 10:25:28 PM »

Tell me how what I said was false. The marines want out. Plain and simple.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 12:30:59 AM »

And into Afghanistan - and to replace it w/ the Army.  You make it sound like the troops want us to leave Iraq.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 12:35:46 AM »

And into Afghanistan - and to replace it w/ the Army.  You make it sound like the troops want us to leave Iraq.
No, I said the Marines want to leave Iraq. Where they go is rather irrelavent to my point, though it is refreshing to see that Afghanistan, the country that did have something to do with 9/11, is not totally forgotten. Stop putting words into my mouth.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 01:15:42 AM »

No, I said the Marines want to leave Iraq. Where they go is rather irrelavent to my point, though it is refreshing to see that Afghanistan, the country that did have something to do with 9/11, is not totally forgotten. Stop putting words into my mouth.

So, why not "Marines want to transfer to Afghanistan"?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »

So, why not "Marines want to transfer to Afghanistan"?

How about "Marines want transfer from Iraq to Afghanistan?" The topic needs to concern Iraq seeing as that's where most are fighting right now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies