South America Parliament Speaker Barnes to address Senate on Thursday. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:27:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  South America Parliament Speaker Barnes to address Senate on Thursday. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South America Parliament Speaker Barnes to address Senate on Thursday.  (Read 1492 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« on: September 23, 2015, 06:21:33 PM »

I was in the gallery of the South American Parliament to hear the speech by Senator Cris.  Some friends of mine in the South American Parliament reserved a gallery seat for me.

His speech was meaningful and thoughtful and I enjoyed it very much. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:46:51 PM »

I will be in the gallery to hear the speech from Mr. Barnes.

I am looking forward to it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »

Speaker Cris, Honorable Senators,

I am very pleased to be standing here in the Senate of Atlasia today.  To my knowledge, I am the first representative of a foreign nation to personally address this body in its history; I acknowledge that fact and am very grateful for the kindness of Speaker Cris in inviting me here.

I am obviously aware of the degree of controversy that my remarks have suddenly brought.  I am sorry that such a situation was ever allowed to come about, as it was neither my desire or intention to do so.  The amount of protest directed at me was, in my opinion, rather odd as I am not here in the role of a diplomat or of a government minister.

Just as Speaker Cris spoke to the South American Parliament as a representative of your Senate, so do I speak to you as a representative of the Parliament.  I do not have any authority or power in the political sphere in my role as Speaker; however, I am tasked with representing the Parliament and working for its best interests.

I firmly believe that that includes establishing a cordial forum of communication and exchange between our two legislative bodies.  In South America's parliamentary system, the Parliament itself is central and paramount within our constitutional arrangement.  The government is formed from the Parliament's ranks and it must always be able to command the Parliament's confidence.

The Senate of Atlasia is based on very different principles and constitutional design.  You have the important duty of placing reasonable checks on the executive as well as forming your own legislative agenda.  I am not here to judge one system over the other, and indeed I feel that these constitutional differences, while important, tend to distract us from a larger purpose and goal.  

The simple reality is that South America exists.  I think that is a fact that we can all accept here as I certainly know it has been a avid topic of conversation both in your country and in mine!  By allowing me to speak to you today, you have already made an acknowledgement of my country's existence.

Beyond that simple fact, there is a broad array of what should come next in our relations.  That is not for me to prophesy or to proclaim as again I have no ability to do so in my position.  But what I can do is say simply that we truly want to work together and collaborate constructively with you.

It would be foolish to say that our governments will always agree on specific matters - we are both independent nations who must be able to set our own way.  However, it is equally incorrect to think that such disagreements would not be a worthy exercise.  Neither of our countries wish to become a mere echo chamber for the other - I know we all believe that.  Rather, let us be able to increase the level of debate over diplomatic and legislative issues that address our two nations.

Think of the possibilities that can exist between two fully-functioning games.  As I said there will be many disagreements I am sure, but would that not add to the excitement of this experiment?  Would it not allow for an exchange of competing interests and beliefs that has never before existed in your history?  

I acknowledge also that you are presently in the process of holding a Constitutional Convention to renew your democratic institutions and inspire a new sense of purpose and activity among your people.  Think of this chance as part of that process.  I truly believe that by having our nations begin a process of diplomatic recognition as you undergo this constitutional process will be truly beneficial to both of our structures of representative government.  

I truly understand the apprehension that has been exhibited by some in Atlasia towards this process.  As I said before this is a unique event in your history, and I respect your desire to study it.  There will be much work ahead, and it will surely be difficult, but if I may speak directly to those who do not wish to begin that work: just take a chance.  See what possibilities might await us as we make this journey.

Do not deny yourself this chance before you cross the first hurdle.

I can assure there are many interesting and exciting days ahead.

From the gallery:  Bravo!  Bravo!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies