Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:47:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy) (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in 72’ – The Election Game (GM Vacancy)  (Read 111220 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 01:43:48 PM »

Fred Harris-Your Candidate(TV)
Apologies for using the same image as before; Fred Harris was not very photographed

"Having grown up on a farm in rural Oklahoma, Senator Fred Harris knows what it's like to grow up poor and underprivileged and he certainly hasn't forgotten his roots. His record tells his story. As a lifelong activist for the poor, Senator Fred Harris has enthusiastically supported the expansion of anti-poverty programs, be they for inner cities or for rural areas. Moreover, his votes show the story of a man committed to a better future for all Americans via creating jobs, expanding education, and ensuring that everybody has the same opportunity. Senator Harris stands for the common man and woman. He stands for the striking miners in Kentucky and West Virginia. He stands for the Pittsburgh steelworkers and the Kansas farmer. He stands for the Natives in Montana and the mill worker in Massachusetts. Fred Harris is your candidate. If you're sick of poverty, unemployment, staggering income inequality, and Wall Street's constant abuses, support Senator Fred Harris in your upcoming primary or caucus. Donations can be mailed to: *campaign HQ address here*

Shading corresponds to ad buys. The price shouldn't be too high, as buys are targeted in many states for certain media markets. Moreover, donations generated from the ad will cover much of the cost.

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 10:49:56 PM »

Well, things just got a lot more complicated for Fred Harris...
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 04:52:09 PM »

Fred Harris Endorsements

Virginia Lt. Governor Henry Howell

"Virginians should put their support behind the only true populist in the race, Fred Harris. To heck with Yorty's right wing demagoguery, Harris is getting my vote and he deserves yours too."
Activities: Howell will be coordinating GOTV efforts across Virginia

Miners for Democracy (Chip Yablonski)

"As a coal miner, I know Fred Harris cares. He cares about those of us fighting the coal companies tooth and nail for proper benefits. He cares about the miners who are ruthlessly killed either by the companies or by corruption, like my father. He cares about the rank and file union member, and I know he's the right choice for president."
Activities: Chip Yablonski will be doing GOTV with miners in SW Virginia and organizing for Harris in Pennsylvania mines

Rep. Patsy Mink

"I'm asking my fellow Hawaiians to join me in supporting Senator Fred Harris for president! He's been a consistent champion for the rights of all Americans, especially women."
Activities: Patsy Mink is the coordinator for Fred Harris Hawaii GOTV efforts.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 05:06:56 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2015, 09:30:26 PM by VPH »

Past Endorsers
LaDonna Harris (wife)Sad Fred Harris' wife will be barnstorming Native American Communities in Montana, Idaho, and Alaska.
Robert Kastenmeier: Rep. Kastenmeier will attend to congressional duties.
Bill Clay: Rep. Clay will attend to congressional duties and also help with GOTV in Wyandotte County, KS.
Frank Morrison: Morrison will do GOTV in Kansas week 1 and conduct GOTV activities in Montana and Wyoming week 2.
Jay Rockefeller: Rockefeller will do a speaking tour of Southern Virginia and help with GOTV, week 2 he'll be organizing in West Virginia and doing his SoS duties.
Dave Obey: Rep. Obey will attend to congressional duties and do some fundraising.
Ross Bass: Ross Bass will be barnstorming and organizing volunteers in Southern Ohio and Southern Indiana
Ernest Gruening: Gruening will be in charge of Alaska GOTV efforts and will be conducting activities from a temporary Acnhorage office.
Claude Pepper: Pepper will attend congressional duties for a few days and then talk to Yorty supporters in Virginia and convince them to vote Harris. Then, he will be in North Carolina and Mississippi doing the same thing.
Jesse Jackson: As Black Outreach Coordinator, Rev. Jackson will split these two weeks between turning out Black voters in Virginia, and then organizing Black voters in Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus.
Henry Maier: He will do some light fundraising but otherwise just do mayoral stuff.
Mike Monroney: Monroney will barnstorm Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana week 1 and then work on GOTV in Montana and Idaho week 2.
Bill Roy: Rep. Roy will spend week 1 helping with GOTV in his Kansas district. Week 2 he will spend a few days on congressional duty and 2 days in Alaska talking to voters.
J. William Fulbright: Fulbright will work on GOTV efforts in Virginina week 1 and then organize in Tennessee and North Carolina.
Phillip Berrigan: Fr. Berrigan will help GOTV at KU, Virginia Tech, and Virginia University week 1. Week two he will be organizing 'Students for Harris' groups at Harvard, UVermont, Northeastern, Boston University, and Boston College.
Jennings Randolph: Randolph will do senatorial duties week 1. Week 2 he will be in Ohio and the Allegheny region of Pennsylvania barnstorming and fundraising.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 06:31:01 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2015, 05:44:12 PM by VPH »

Fred Harris: The Real Populist Part 1
April 5
Fred Harris files for the Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Nebraska, West Virginia and North Carolina primaries.
GOTV w/Jesse Jackson: Kansas City, KS
Fundraising luncheon and speech with the Johnson County Democrats: Overland Park, KS
GOTV: Pittsburgh, KS
Speech about Vietnam: Parsons, KS

"We need to send a message to the demagogues trying to invade our party. Sam Yorty isn't a real Democrat, and I know Kansas Democrats will not fall for his slimy tricks. Vote for a positive future. Vote for a candidate with hope. We won't win by running a candidate who voted for Nixon in 1960 and has a record as mayor of letting crime increase on his watch and continuing the subjugation of certain communities. I know as an Oklahoman that we share a lot of the same Midwestern values, so I believe we should send Midwestern values to the Oval Office."

April 6
GOTV/Town Hall: Wichita, KS
GOTV w/Fr. Berrigan: Manhattan, KS
GOTV w/Bill Roy and speech about jobs: Topeka, KS
Rally about Vietnam w/Fr. Berrigan at KU: Lawrence, KS
Flight to Richmond, VA

April 7
GOTV w/Jay Rockefeller: Richmond, VA
GOTV w/Henry Howell and Jay Rockefeller: Lynchburg, VA
GOTV w/Chip Yablonski: Roanoke, VA
GOTV w/Chip Yablonski and rally about union rights with coal miners: Blacksburg, VA

"Where are the so-called 'populists'? They sure as hell aren't out there talking to coal miners and vouching for their safety and rights. I'm the only candidate thus far to visit striking miners in a show of solidarity. Down with the scabs! Vote for a real populist like me!"

April 8
GOTV: Charlottesville, VA
GOTV and fundraising luncheon: Alexandria, VA
Town Hall/Rally about inflation: Arlington, VA
Town Hall w/Henry Howell: Falls Church, VA

April 9
GOTV/Fundraising: Newport News, VA
Talking to shipworkers/GOTV: Norfolk, VA
Rally downtown about the economy: Portsmouth, VA
GOTV: Virginia Beach, VA

"America needs jobs. Good-paying union jobs will maintain our status as the world's strongest economy."

April 10
Speaking to Vietnam Vets/Town Hall: Petersburg, VA
GOTV: Danville, VA
Flight to Hawaii

April 11
GOTV w/Patsy Mink: Honolulu, HI
Rally about Vietnam: Honolulu, HI
Visiting the Pearl Harbor Memorial: Honolulu, HI
Watch party w/Patsy Mink and volunteers: Honolulu, HI

"I remember the day Pearl Harbor happened. I was struck by an immense sadness and fear, but our adept president FDR handled the situation in a fashion that alleviated my fears. FDR was truly a great president and I seek to continue his legacy."

April 12
Flight to Salt Lake City, UT
GOTV: Rock Springs, WY
GOTV: Laramie, WY
GOTV: Cheyenne, WY
Rally about ag policy: Casper, WY

April 13
GOTV and rally w/miners: Butte, MT
GOTV: Helena, MT
Rally about Vietnam/GOTV: Missoula, MT
Press conference in front of Flathead Lake: Rollins, MT

"Some candidates want to escalate the war. Some want withdrawal immediately and leaving POW's behind. I support and will pursue a swift withdrawal that protects and return POW's safely and helps vets in their reintegration into everyday life."

April 14
Flight to Pittsburgh, PA
Opening Pennsylvania HQ Downtown: Pittsburgh, PA
Meeting voters: Pittsburgh, PA
Fundraising dinner w/Jennings Randolph: Pittsburgh, PA
Town Hall: Erie, PA

"Today, we're kicking off an intensive effort to win Pennsylvania. We'll be criss-crossing the state and mobilizing the army of volunteers we've built in order to win this state! I trust that the good folks of Pittsburgh will support me!"

April 15
Barnstorming: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Fundraising/Meeting Voters: Scranton, PA
Speaking with factory workers: Allentown, PA
Town Hall: Bethlehem, PA

April 16
Talking to voters w/Jesse Jackson: Philadelphia, PA
Meeting ethnic factory workers: Philadelphia, PA
Fundraising followed by a press conference: Philadelphia, PA

REPORTER: "What's your strategy in regards to tomorrow's primaries?"
HARRIS: "It was very tough for me to spend a lot of time out west, but I know people are getting the message because our support continues to rise. My endorsers and wife have done a fantastic job of spreading the word. We're hoping for the best."

April 17
Flight to Burlington, VT
Rally about Vietnam on Church Street: Burlington, VT
Meeting voters: Montpelier, VT
Results watch party with supporters: Pittsfield, MA
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 07:09:27 PM »

Fred Harris GOTV Strategy
Kansas
-Turn out union workers in Wichita, SE Kansas, and the KCK area
-Target farmers via surrogates
-Dampen enthusiasm for Yorty by emphasizing LA's failures under his watch
-Turn out students at K State, WSU, and KU
-Lock up Southeast Kansas and Kansas along the Oklahoma border

Virginia
-Target Muskie supporters by talking about Harris' consistency
-Target McGovern supporters by discussing Harris' military service and unique views on the war
-Turn out SW Virginia blue-collar voters
-Dampen enthusiasm for Yorty by emphasizing LA's failures under his watch
-Turn out veterans w/GI Bill plans
-Get college kids to the polls through Students for Harris groups
-Send out an anti-Yorty mailer
-Raise money aggressively

Alaska
-Turn out the Native American population
-Use Ernest Gruening to get support
-Get decent margins in Anchorage and Juneau
-Reach out to Gravel supporters

Hawaii
-Focus on Honolulu
-Work with Patsy Mink
-Get the anti-Vietnam vote locked up
-Attract McGovern supporters by talking about where Harris' platform outshines McGovern's

Idaho
-Target miners
-Turn out Native Americans
-Don't spend much money here

Montana
-Turn out Native Americans
-Get the miner vote
-Get 20% in progressive bastions like Missoula and Butte
-Again, don't spend much here

Wyoming
-Focus on rural turnout
-Talk about agricultural policy and making the government more efficient
-Talk about infrastructure plans
-Attract McGovern supporters by talking about where Harris' platform outshines McGovern's
-Shoot for 15% and some delegates

Utah
-Don't spend a lot here
-Push 10% in Salt Lake City
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2015, 07:01:41 PM by VPH »

Fred Harris Addresses the Media

REPORTER: "What are your thoughts on Governor George Wallace's entrance into the race?"
HARRIS: "I welcome him into the race, but I've got a few questions. First of all, why is Governor Wallace flip flopping on major issues? In 1968, he called for less government interference in private business, but this year he calls for NATIONALIZATION of industries? That sounds more Soviet than Populist to me. In 1968, he was the first to clamor for welfare cuts and handing over benefits to corporations, but now he's all about expanding social services. This year, he wants more regulation. 4 years ago he wanted less regulation. I'm confused. Only one thing hasn't changed with Governor Wallace. He wants to go back to before 1964 and subjugate and suppress Americans. Even if busing is not the best, in no regards should the US step backward. Second, what is his loyalty to the Democratic Party? I have some serious doubts after 1968."

REPORTER: "What sets you apart from other populists?"
HARRIS: "I think there are a number of things, and that's a valid question. First of all, I proposed the most responsible Vietnam policy yet, making sure we get our POW's out, leave soon, and treat our veterans right with a new GI bill. I'm the only candidate to specifically address the growing problem of legal tax evasion by the largest corporations. Small businesses suffer with this tax code while the hedge fund head honchos get off free. We need some major reforms to help the common man and woman. Third, I proposed a public works package that would create millions of jobs, kick-start the economy, help rural areas and suffering cities, and modernize our infrastructure."

REPORTER: "What is your stance on the environment?"
HARRIS: "I will create an organization to assist in preservation and holding big polluters accountable. It's unacceptable that cancer causing chemicals are poured into our water and dumped into our air."

REPORTER: "How will you keep fighting poverty?"
HARRIS: "I grew up poor and have been in those shoes. Through my experience, I've come to conclude that we need to provide healthcare for all Americans, a more effective social safety net system, equal opportunity in education, and safety from crime or disorder. For me, it's all about equality of opportunity. With the same opportunity for all Americans, hard work and responsibility will be the deciding factors.

REPORTER: "Why are you the best candidate to defeat Richard Nixon in November of next year?"
HARRIS: "While President Nixon is a formidable opponent. Between him and Spiro Agnew, the Republicans have a tough team to beat. Groomed by Wall Street money, both of them have that advantage. However, I believe that I, if I gain the nomination, can beat back the entrenched big money interests. My platform uniquely brings key issues to the forefront and will tackle the problems that plague America. I believe in the people, and when we all get together, undivided by our labels and differences, we can defeat the policies of war escalation, disregard for working Americans, and dirty political game-playing."

REPORTER: "What are your thoughts on George McGovern's campaign? You haven't talked an awful lot about him."
HARRIS: "I have a deep respect and admiration for Senator McGovern. His work has undoubtedly positively impacted poor Americans. However, I believe that my platform better represents the people and thus continue to compete with him. In my opinion, he'd made a great vice presidential pick. I wish him all the best through this race."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »

Fred Harris Response to Yorty's Attacks

Spoken to reporters in Virginia

"Saigon Sam's out to get me, huh? Remember folks, Mayor Yorty ENDORSED Richard Nixon in 1960. That's right, he endorsed the Republican president who has led this country into economic ruin. Some experience there. Since mayor Yorty has challenged me, here's just a few tangible things I have accomplished:
-As chair of the DNC, I helped lead our party in a more successful direction by democratizing the nominating process. All of us candidates have been substantially helped by this process.
-I restored 48,000 acres of land to the Taos Pueblo people by building a bipartisan consensus in the senate.
-I served on the Kerner Commission and proposed a major set of reforms to keep cities like Los Angeles safe because clearly not enough is being done by folks who always run on 'law and order' like Mayor Yorty and Governor Wallace.
-I voted yes on the Equal Rights Amendment, because women ought to have equality under the law.
-As a lawyer, I consistently fought for the people in court and have a deep understanding of the legal system.

Mayor Yorty may tell you I only 'voted', but in fact it is voting that changes the course of this nation. Along with these votes, I've been consistent and taken action. Mayor Yorty never served in the senate. Mayor Yorty's  misguided attacks are symptomatic of his political game-playing and I hope you'll see through his lies."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »

For what it's worth, you've been doing a tremendous job as GM and you're one of the best ones these games have ever had. From past experience I know how much time has to be devoted to a game like this. Keep up the great work!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2015, 11:06:03 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2015, 09:56:08 PM by VPH »

Fred Harris Hits the Trail (Part 1)
April 18
Filing for Michigan, Maryland, Oregon, Rhode Island, California, and South Dakota primaries
GOTV W/Mayor White: Boston, MA
Coordination of volunteer activities W/Mayor White: Boston, MA
Rally about the war at Harvard and Northeastern Universities: Cambridge and Boston, MA
GOTV: Brookline, MA

April 19
GOTV/Speech about taxes: Haverhill, MA
GOTV at the mills: Lowell, MA
Speech about trade/GOTV: Worcester, MA
Town Hall: Worcester, MA
Office Opening: Indianapolis, IN (Surrogate)

"Things are getting worse under Nixon. Property taxes and income taxes for working families are soaring as inflation spirals prices out of control. We need a solution to this economic mess."

April 20
GOTV: Southbridge, MA
GOTV/Rally about Unions: Springfield, MA
Fundraising luncheon: Pittsfield, MA
Press conference: Bennington, VT

April 21
Speech about taxes: Greenfield, MA
GOTV W/Mayor White: Boston, MA
Flight to Philadelphia, PA
Fundraiser at the Philadelphia Museum of Art: Philadelphia, PA

"The Harris tax plan closes loopholes for the largest corporations, cuts income taxes for the working class, raises taxes on the top earning Americans by increasing the estate tax, lowers the property tax burden, and taxes wall street transactions. Not only do I plan a more responsible system of taxation, but also a simpler one, so that families, farmers, and small businessmen will no longer struggle through miles of red tape.

April 22
GOTV: Philadelphia, PA
Rally about civil rights w/ Jesse Jackson: Philadelphia, PA
GOTV: Philadelphia Suburbs
GOTV: Reading, PA

April 23
GOTV: Harrisburg, PA
GOTV and chocolate factory photo-op: Hershey, PA
GOTV/Vietnam Rally with Fr. Berrigan: State College, PA
Joining a miner picket line w/Chip Yablonski: Altoona, PA

"It's always said that impersonation is the best form of flattery. In that case, I thank George Wallace for the compliment he paid me by copying my actions in support of UMW workers and unionization as a whole. I must caution you about Mayor Sam Yorty and Governor Wallace. Neither will fight for your rights as much as I will. I will fight for fewer restrictions on union formation and for less corruption in all levels of the process. That's why I'm the only candidate supported by Miners for Democracy and the wonderful Pennsylvania native, Chip Yablonski!"

April 24
GOTV/Fundraising: Pittsburgh, PA
GOTV W/Jay Rockefeller: New Castle, PA
Meeting factory workers: Erie, PA
Rally about job creation: North East, PA

April 25
Press Conference/Town Hall: Albion, PA
Meeting factory workers: Youngstown, OH
Fundraiser/Office Openings: Cleveland, OH
Town Hall: Akron, OH

"This office will coordinate our efforts for the last week as we aggressively push to gain a substantial amount of delegates in Ohio. If you're a Muskie supporter, I ask you to look at my consistent record on the war and immense experience in the Democratic Party. If you support Senator McGovern, I point to my clear stance on ending the war and bringing the economy back to the people. If you support Mayor Yorty, I can tell you of the successes I've had in my fight for unions and families."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »

Fred Harris Endorsers
IN-3 Representative John Brademas

"I've devoted my career to fighting for education, especially when it comes to equal opportunity and the arts. Fred Harris echoes my concerns and knows what American students need to succeed."
Activities: Rep. Brademas will coordinate volunteer efforts and GOTV in Indiana until May 2. Afterwards, he will barnstorm North Dakota.

Fmr. Tennessee Governor Frank G. Clement

"Fred Harris will work his hardest to improve conditions in Appalachia, and I believe he's the only candidate who will help our region and our state. I'm proud to stand with him."
Activities: Fmr. Gov. Clement will barnstorm Tennessee, especially Eastern Tennessee and fundraise for Fred Harris

Fmr. Pennsylvania Senator Joseph Clark

"I've been blessed to work with Senator Fred Harris when I was a senator. I know deep in my heart that he best represents the interests of all Pennsylvanians, from Blacks in Philadelphia to coal miners in Altoona. Therefore, I'll work to make sure he wins."
Activities: Fmr. Sen. Clark will coordinate Philadelphia area GOTV, excercising his influence to turn out the city's Democratic machine. Afterwards, he will go to Indiana for a week to do GOTV for Harris and then will spend the next week in Tennessee and North Carolina.

OH-21 Representative Louis Stokes

"I originally was planning to support Rep. Shirley Chisholm, but when she dropped out, I felt pretty lost. None of the candidates seemed to be true fighters for equal opportunity until Senator Harris entered the race. From his work on the Kerner Commission to his tireless fight for civil rights, Senator Fred Harris is the right pick for the interests of Cleveland."
Activities: Until the 2nd, Rep. Stokes will be crossing Ohio to increase black turnout for Harris. From May 2nd to May 6th, he will be splitting time between New Orleans, Atlanta, Birmingham, Durham, Raleigh, and Jackson talking to black communities about Fred Harris.

Boston Mayor Kevin White

"Senator Harris is the real deal. It's been a long time since I've seen a candidate that was such a breath of fresh air. Fred Harris is the man. He's a no-nonsense populist with the experience needed to steer this country in the right direction. I trust in his plans to help mayors lower crime, something Saigon Sam doesn't know about. I also love his plan to help revitalize urban areas with money saved from leaving the war."
Activities: Mayor White will turn out the Boston Democratic machine for Fred Harris. After the Massachusetts primary, he will spend 1 day in Columbus and 1 day in Cincinnati fundraising and helping with GOTV. Then he's back to mayoral duties.

Fmr. Massachusetts Senator Benjamin A. Smith

"I feel that Senator Harris is carrying on the legacy of my good old friend Robert Kennedy, and so have decided to endorse him. I haven't seen any other candidate who impresses me in this regard other than Fred Harris."
Activities: Ben Smith will oversee GOTV efforts for Lowell, Worcester, Springfield, and Pittsfield. After the primary, he will head to Indiana to help with GOTV in and around Gary and South Bend. Afterwards, he will be conducting large scale fundraising for the campaign and organizing volunteers in Rhode Island.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2015, 09:50:02 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 09:53:59 PM by VPH »

Previous Harris Endorsers
Patsy Mink: Rep. Mink will conduct GOTV in Washington DC and attend to congressional duty. She will later fundraise in Maryland.
Chip Yablonski: Yablonski will barnstorm W. Pennsylvania coal mines and coordinate miner GOTV for the 1st part, then shift these activities to Ohio afterwards. Finally, he will focus on miners in TN and blue collar workers in NC.
Henry Howell: Lt. Gov. Howell will spend time in NC and GA fundraising and barnstorming. Before that, he'll be doing his duty at home in VA.
LaDonna Harris (wife)Sad Fred Harris' wife will be touring Vermont barnstorming and doing GOTV there. Afterwards, she'll be in California setting up volunteer chapters and opening offices in Los Angeles and San Francisco. She will spend some time in North Dakota talking to Natives about Fred Harris.
Robert Kastenmeier: Rep. Kastenmeier will attend to congressional duties and also barnstorm in DC. He will spend some time doing GOTV in Indiana and Ohio as well.
Bill Clay: Rep. Clay will barnstorm in DC and Philadelphia. Afterwards, he will spend some time fundraising in Indiana and doing GOTV in Gary, Indiana.
Frank Morrison: Morrison will fundraise, barnstorm, and do GOTV in rural Indiana and North Dakota.
Jay Rockefeller: Rockefeller will barnstorm Georgia and Tennessee after April 25th. Until then, he'll be in the Pittsburgh area mobilizing volunteers and fundraising.
Dave Obey: Rep. Obey will attend to congressional duties and do some barnstorming in Washington DC. For 3 days, he'll be in Columbus, Ohio to coordinate local groups and help get people to the polls.
Ross Bass: Ross Bass will head GOTV efforts in Tennessee and play a major role in organizing the state, turning out voters, and general outreach.
Ernest Gruening: Gruening will be helping GOTV in Massachussets reaching out to McGovern supporters and then barnstorming California from April 27nd to May 3rd. Afterwards, he will coordinate a mailer to Louisiana voters.
Claude Pepper: Rep. Pepper will barnstorm and do GOTV in Georgia and North Carolina after spending some time doing congressional duties and conducting a fundraiser in DC.
Jesse Jackson: As Black Outreach Coordinator, Rev. Jackson will split these weeks between outreach to black voters in Philadelphia, Columbus, Toledo, Nashville, Memphis, Jackson, New Orleans, and Shreveport.
Henry Maier: Nothing much except for light fundraising.
Mike Monroney: Monroney will help barnstorm and do GOTV in Southern Ohio and Indiana. Afterwards, he will spend time in Tennessee and North Carolina doing GOTV.
Bill Roy: Rep. Roy will attend to congressional duties and do some barnstorming in North Dakota.
J. William Fulbright: Fulbright will barnstorm and mobilize support in Louisiana and Tennessee.
Phillip Berrigan: Fr. Berrigan will help do GOTV and mobilize students at UPenn, Penn State, UVermont, Ohio State, Ohio University, IU, Purdue, and Notre Dame.
Jennings Randolph: Randolph will spend time doing fundraising and GOTV in Pennsylvania and Ohio. He will barnstorm North Carolina and Tennessee reaching out to Wallace voters.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2015, 05:45:25 PM by VPH »

April 26-May 6 Schedule
April 26
GOTV w/Louis Stokes: Cleavland, OH
Speech to farmers: Mansfield, OH
Fundraising/GOTV: Columbus, OH
Vietnam Rally at Ohio State University w/Fr. Berrigan: Columbus, OH

"Let's focus on improving America."

April 27
GOTV/Rally about jobs: Dayton, OH
Town Hall/Presser: Dayton, OH
GOTV w/Mike Monroney: Cincinnati, OH
Dinner with union workers: Cincinnati, OH

April 28
GOTV: Lima, OH
Speech about jobs: Findlay, OH
GOTV W/Jennings Randolph: Toledo, OH
Speaing with local Polish/Serb/Italian community leaders: Toledo, OH

"We can revive manufacturing! By improving the tax code and making sure other nations don't undercut us, we can put the trade imbalance back into balance!"

April 29
GOTV Downtown: Fort Wayne, IN
Speech about regulations/Town Hall: Muncie, IN
GOTV: Anderson, IN
GOTV: Fishers, IN

April 30
GOTV: Lafayette, IN
GOTV/Rally with workers about union rights: Gary, IN
GOTV: Hammond, IN
GOTV: East Chicago

Female voter: "Do you support the ERA?"
Harris: "Most definitely. It's time to make it known that women are not second class citizens! I was the first on this campaign trail to talk about the ERA and support it."

May 1
GOTV in black communities w/Jesse Jackson: Indianapolis, IN
GOTV in suburbs: Indianapolis, IN
Rally about education: Indianapolis, IN
Fundraising community potluck: Evansville, IN

"By closing Wall Street tax loopholes, we can provide cheaper college for all Americans and invest in elementary education programs in poor communities. The fatcats don't need another bonus. Our children need education."

May 2
GOTV w/Ross Bass: Clarksville, TN
Fundraising dinner and GOTV w/Ross Bass: Nashville, TN
Speech about poverty alleviation: Tullahoma, TN
Rally about jobs: McMinnvile, TN

"Jobs are key to ending poverty, which is why my jobs program does a number of things:
-It invests in job creation through infrastructure projects
-The program calls for an increase in the minimum wage to help workers
-It ensures that small businesses can thrive in the US
-It sustains and aids millions of struggling farmers"

May 3
GOTV w/Frank Clement: Chattanooga, TN
GOTV w/Frank Clement: Knoxville, TN
Speech about jobs: Farragut, TN
GOTV: Johnson City, TN

May 4
GOTV/Speech downtown about poverty: Atlanta, GA
Town Hall and Presser: Atlanta, GA
GOTV: Macon, GA
GOTV: Augusta, GA

"Poverty doesn't pick and choose. Poverty is a system that can be beat through hard work, determination, and a hand up. I grew up poor on a farm, but thanks to the New Deal programs, I was able to live the American Dream. I want to bring the American Dream to more Americans."

May 5
GOTV: Charlotte, NC
GOTV: Winston-Salem, NC
GOTV/Dinner with union workers: Greensboro, NC
GOTV: Durham, NC

May 6
Morning GOTV: Raleigh, NC
Flight to Fargo, ND
GOTV /wife: Fargo, ND
Rally about Vietnam at UND: Grand Forks, ND
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2015, 05:39:17 PM by VPH »

Southern Values (TV)

Narrator: "Looking for a Democrat who stands for your values? Look no further than Senator Fred Harris."

Coal Miner in Tennessee: "Fred Harris stands for the unions that have made our region strong. He picketed with us when we fought the management head honchos."

Restaurant-owning couple in Mississippi: "We've told all our family and friends about Fred Harris. He wants to make paying our taxes simpler so that our family store can prosper."

Young Vietnam veteran in North Carolina: "When I came back from the war, I had trouble finding a job. Thanks to Fred Harris, I have hope that veterans will be treated right."

Suburban mother in Tennessee: "Fred Harris is the only candidate who will keep the peace in our streets. Even the other 'law and order' candidates did nothing to stop rising crime during their time in office. Fred Harris' plans will keep my young boys safe from criminals."

Retiree in Georgia: "I don't want some ideologue to dismantle the government or nationalize industries. I want a more efficient government that cares about the people, and Fred Harris is the only candidate who can deliver."

Factory worker in Alabama: "Here in Alabama, we value hard work, prosperity, and honesty. I see those qualities in Fred Harris. Like me, he's worked hard all his life and knows what it's like to struggle. That's why he understands us.

Narrator: "Fred Harris understands the common man and woman. Vote for Harris. Vote for American families. Vote for a stronger South."

Airing in:
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 05:20:52 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2015, 05:39:29 PM by VPH »

A Look at the Records (Newspaper)
(Paid for by a mailer fundraising campaign)

Narrator: "Senator Edmund Muskie voted for the Gulf on Tonkin resolution, but now he claims to oppose the war. Which way is it, Ed?

Mayor Sam Yorty beat many Republicans to the game by supporting president Nixon 12 years ago. Then, he faced off against FDR's son in 1965. Is Sam Yorty a real Democrat like he claims? He calls for law and order, but crime rose massively under his term. Does he really have the experience to keep the peace nationwide?

George Wallace spurned the Democratic Party in 1968, but now he's returned. Not only that, but he went from pushing smaller government to hakwing nationalization of industry. Really now?"

Fred Harris: "I, like many Americans, have many questions about the records of my opponents. I believe in accountability, and the named men should take responsibility for their past actions. I've been an unwavering voice for unions, higher education reform, a sensible end to the war, and tax reform to help working Americans. I'm a proud lifelong Democrat, and I'm running for president. I hope to have your vote, because we need to stand up and fight the flip-flopping, the corporate interests, and the extremists."

Ads will run until the date of that primary, so Pennsylvania for example will end after that election.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2015, 07:59:24 PM by VPH »

Fred Harris GOTV Strategy

Massachusetts
-Emphasize anti-war credentials
-Reach out to McGovern supporters on Vietnam
-Mobilize the student vote en masse
-Get the mill-town support
-Use Mayor White's Boston machine to win that region
-Talk about Yorty's anti-ERA stance

Pennsylvania
-Push for a MAJOR win
-Make this a focal point of the campaign
-Attract high turnout in the Allegheny region
-Win the Pittsburgh area by a lot
-Get a strong performance among blacks and ethnic voters in Philadelphia
-Attract Muskie supporters with a populist appeal on issues like the minimum wage, jobs, and unions
-Hold and grow the lead
-Strong surrogate support should translate into success
-Push back on Yorty's attacks, especially emphasizing his anti-ERA stance among women
--Make Harris the anti-Yorty, anti-Wallace populist

Vermont
-Don't spend much money
-Get the anti-war vote
-Appeal to Mo Udall's voters via populism
-Perform well in rural areas

DC
-Rely on surrogate support
-Don't spend much money here at all
-Fundraise

Indiana
-Go for an all out win
-Get high turnout in South Indiana Democratic hotbeds
-Win Indianapolis and the surrounding areas
-Fight for strong union worker support around Gary and South Bend
-Turn out students for Harris
-Push back on Yorty's attacks and emphasize his anti-ERA stance
-Take McGovern support via emphasis on rural issues
--Make Harris the anti-Yorty, anti-Wallace populist

Ohio
-Win Ohio River Valley towns
-Perform strongly in black communities and among ethnic factory workers
-Get the union labor vote
-Turn out Students for Harris groups at OU, OSU, etc
-Win Cleavland
-Shoot for a healthy number of delegates
-Make Harris the anti-Yorty, anti-Wallace populist

Tennessee
-Garner strong support in Memphis and Nashville
-Hit 25% support as a goal
-Use Frank Garner and Ross Bass to the fullest
-Undermine Wallace by talking about his plans to nationalize industry and comparing that to Soviet policy
-Push hard against Yorty and Wallace
-Turn back Yorty's attacks by talking about his failures on law and order and on economic issues
-Do well in rural Eastern Tennessee by showing a firey populist side
-Talk about personal background on an Oklahoma farm
-Toe the high line against Wallace's savage personal attacks

Alabama
-Don't spend money here

Georgia
-Get delegates from this contest
-Do well in Atlanta and the suburbs
-Undermine Wallace by talking about his plans to nationalize industry
-Emphasize law and order credentials

North Carolina
-Win union worker vote
-Get strong support in the big cities and in the Appalachian regions
-Win the black vote, but do not alienate white populists
-Turn out students
-Undermine Wallace by talking about his plans to nationalize industry and comparing them to communism
-Toe the high line against Wallace's savage personal attacks
-Hit 20%
-Emphasize law and order credentials

North Dakota
-Get some delegates
-Win among Native Americans
-Talk about the war
-Emphasize shared rural backgrounds

Mississippi
-Get support in the Delta and Northeastern regions from farmers
-Get some delegates
-Talk about rural issues

Louisiana
-Get strong support from Cajuns
-Evoke the Huey Long populist legacy in a quest for 18%
-Win numerous parts of New Orleans
-Attack Wallace's anti-Catholicism and promote Harris as the way to stop Wallace

Tactics
-Student rallies
-Buses to bring voters to polls
-Massive phonebanking operations
-Canvassing in major cities
-Mailers to raise money for these efforts
-Working with surrogates to get out the vote
-Talking to voters everywhere they can be found
-Follow up calls on election night to make sure people voted
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 07:55:43 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2015, 07:59:47 PM by VPH »

Public Media Statement on Attack Ads
Nashville, Tennessee

"Now I've got two dishonest demagogues on my back. Two guys who don't give a rip about the common people. Pick honesty, America.

Both of them are lying through their teeth. Mayor Yorty, a lifelong politician, seems to want to call me out for being a lawyer. Mind you, at that, a lawyer who always stuck up for the people suing the big bosses and the corrupt special interests. As a lawyer, I've done much to help common folks. Moreover, he lies about my position on busing. I've never said I support nationwide busing. Busing is an inefficient way to do things. My economic plan will promote prosperity for all Americans without forcing anything on the states.

One of them, Governor George Wallace, seems to be glazed over by a crazy fantasy of his. He thinks he can seamlessly rejoin this party when it was his fault we got Richard Nixon in 1968. Isn't that crazy, folks? Wallace says he's right, but which Wallace is talking? 1968 Wallace or 1972 Wallace? Last time, he was in favor of cutting the government. Now he's in support of expanding it. Last time, he called for government out of business. Now he wants government to take over business in a communist fashion. In 1968, he ran with a VP who wanted to use nukes on Vietnam. Now Wallace is anti war. He says he respects states' rights, but he calls for massive federal programs. C'mon, America, we don't need another snake-oil salesman in the White House. We already have Nixon there.

The second attacker is Mayor Sam Yorty. Where do I start. Perhaps on the fact that under his administration, crime increased? Mayor Yorty presided over violent riots and did not prevent them. I've already told you all about his endorsement of Nixon in 1960. Get that, he helped set the stage for the president plundering out nation at this moment. Saigon Sam wants more bombs, more violence, and more war. We don't need Nixon-lite. He's come out against the ERA. That's a slight to every woman in America.

I've laid out my plans. Protection of the American worker, combat against high prices and rising unemployment, responsible end to conflict in Asia, and a crackdown on the special interest head honchos. I was the first populist in this race, and I'll keep fighting for the people."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »

*non-game post*

I think the Bremer thing should be weighted in some regard. Knowing that he considered himself a black panther and was a radical leftist kinda says some things about who would be more likely to be his target and who might be less likely. I think it's an interesting idea.

Also, Spiral, you did a great job calling me out. I figured too late that that would haunt me in the South... It'll be interesting to see what I can pull off in the Northern states where I find myself in a strange quandary of not being 'left enough' for some, but clearly not being in the party's right leaning factions. Should be an interesting turn!

Lastly, I've been making a county map (educated guesses) for this tl that i'll post soon updated. It's pretty cool imo.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 06:53:56 PM by VPH »

1.- The Senate has seen a lot of debates on the issue of defence planning and defence spending, and indeed candidates like Senator Muskie, Senator Harris and Senator McGovern have been forced to intervene in said debates. Question to you all, which are your plans regarding defence and how to they differ from the rest of the field?

Response: "My plan is distinct from the field in that it represents a responsible approach, unlike that of candidates who want to take an ax to our defence budget or those on the other end who want to spend money frivolously. The first part of my plan involves ending the Vietnam war within 110 days and negotiating a peace to get all of our POW's back home. Related to that is my 'New GI Bill' to provide tax cuts and educational opportunities for returning veterans. I'm the only candidate who's stood up for veterans consistently. Our vets deserve the utmost respect. Next, I propose identifying and cutting waste at the Pentagon through a top-to-bottom audit. There's no reason bureaucrats tasked with national defence should be wasting money. We'll cut wasteful spending and direct dollars to where they need to be. For example, the US ought to remain at the forefront of military research, and I'll support partnerships with developers and innovators to ensure that we have the world's best equipped military."

2.- Welfare is also a theme hotly debated now, increasing calls not only from the conservative Republicans, but also from conservative Democrats, to cut on welfare spending. What are your plans regarding welfare, and can you provide concrete details of the sort of spending and initiatives you would like to see?

Response: "We hear an awful lot of rhetoric on welfare, but at the end of the day, something needs to be done. I'm a doer, not a talker. As president, I will fund universal healthcare by closing Wall Street tax loopholes. The money recouped from fugitive corporations will help sustain a healthy American safety net. The major problem thus lies in the system's complexity. There are a lot of fascinating ideas out there. I will hold bureaucrats accountable through a system of internal rating and accountability practices. Offices that take too long or make things too complicated will be disciplined! I will reduce the amount of needed paperwork and call for coordination between the state, federal, and local levels. This will open up communication and record keeping, making the whole system cheaper and more efficient. Along with this, I will simplify the tax code overall by cutting out major loopholes and streamlining the process which will result in savings for working class American families. Finally, I've proposed a responsible minimum wage proposal to raise the minimum wage to $2.00 an hour gradually by 1975 and then index it to inflation. This will cause wages to rise, without decimating employment like Rep. Udall's convoluted plan. By pushing people out of poverty, this initiative will lead to savings on welfare programs.

3.- More and more elected officers of the Democratic Party have come out saying that victory for any of you on the primaries and first ballot of the convention is increasingly unlikely, stressing that this year's DNC could be more chaotic than Chicago 1968. Considering the level of division, who would you like to choose as Vice-President to, so to speak, heal the divide? Would you run with any of the other candidates?

Response: "I don't want to see a divided party, because that's just calling for another 4 years of Nixon's failed policies. Americans don't want stagnant wages, vanishing jobs, a continuing war, and domestic unrest. Americans want solutions, and I'm here to fight for them. I will prevent another 1968. The one candidate I most aspired to running with was Mayor Lindsay. It's by tragedy that we are separated from our good friend John, but as we go about this process, we shouldn't forget his wisdom, resolve, and intelligence when looking for standard bearers for the Democratic Party. I don't think I can narrow my choice down to one person just yet, but I'll describe the qualities I know would be best for the party. First of all, I'd look for a fellow problem solver. I don't want anybody on my ticket who would create more disunity. The prospective VP must know how to communicate effectively and reach out to mend this party's ideological differences. Moreover, I'd like my vice presidential pick to support a populist agenda. If he's not for the working man, he has no place on the Harris 1972 ticket. Finally, I'd look for somebody with the experience, fortitude, and charisma espoused by Mayor Lindsay. These qualities will always be important. I guess I can give you some examples. Senator Ted Kennedy would be a phenomenal vice president. The same goes for Senator Mike Mansfield, Senator J. William Fulbright, Governor Kenneth Curtis and a number of other good folks. Out of everybody up on this stage, I'd certainly consider a few as vice presidential picks. I'd be delighted to run with Senator McGovern or Representative Udall on my ticket. I'd definitely consider Senator Muskie, and of course, out of our friends who've dropped out, Governor Carter or Senator McCarthy would be great picks.

4.- The Paris Peace talks have all but collapsed as the United States resumes bombing operations in North Vietnam and South Vietnam is under attack. Should the talks be resumed at any cost?

Response: "We need peace in Vietnam. Americans are dying, civilians are suffering, and our coffers are being bled dry by this irresponsible strategy put forth by Nixon and his war hawks. As I've emphasized, within 110 days I would bring the war to a close. That means opening up channels of open, firm negotiation. As the world's foremost superpower, the US needs to be a diplomatic powerhouse. I will halt the war in 110 days and maintain a peacekeeping/diplomatic presence until all American POW's are home safe. This goal will require cooperation with international organizations to make sure all promises are kept. If there's anything I learned from growing up on the prairie, it's that you never leave a brother behind. Negotiations must be conducted in a manner that reflects on our power and determination for progress. This way, peace talks will not fall through. The Nixon administration's inept leadership has failed us again, but I'm confident that we can being Americans home and ensure peace."

5.- To Senator Harris: Senator, past results show you have lost a significant amount of support in the South, which has been attributed to a perceived change of position on busing. Having come out in support of it on the first debate yet against it last week, could you clarify your stance on busing?

"As I said, before my words were taken out of context, busing is a complicated issue. It should be obvious that in America, racial tensions and division are high. These inequities and divisions cause problems like lost economic productivity, disorder, further division, and crime. Something needs to be done. I personally believe in busing as part of a broader solution. There are better ideas I'd like to see advanced to the forefront. Instead of making kids spend an hour on the bus each day or simply not acting to diversify schools, it's a better idea to stop the practice of redlining by the big mortgage corporations. This would, without government mandates on the people, ensure greater opportunity for students to attend diverse schools. Moreover, we need to make sure that all schools, no matter what their demographics, have access to equal resources and teaching talent. Schooling makes all the difference, and I know we can find unity on this issue as we strive to help all Americans. Busing is not all that needs to be done, and it's not optimal in some cases. My administration, understanding the cause for concern, will push for more requirements for proof of discrimination before implementing busing. I don't think it should be such a court mandated process, but rather something decided on by the voters. While I personally support busing, we need to look to more practical, less divisive forms of solving racial inequities. This has been my consistent stance, and I'm apalled to see my words ripped out of context by those who want to turn back the clock. I'm confident that the people will recognize the need for a better solution."

Responses to Other Candidates (To be added later)
Response to Sam Yorty
"Sam, I don't think you know how to listen. I just made it clear as day. On a personal level, I support it. On a governmental level, as I have repeated just about every day on the trail, I think there are better ways to go about integrating. I denied being in favor of forced government integration, which was your accusation, because I've never supported forced government integration. My campaign's been about the people, and keeping with that is the consistent stance I've held on busing.You're lying. You know it, and America knows it too. How about you tell me why you have such a terrible record of supporting Democrats? You seem to like Nixon an awful lot."

Response to Mo Udall
"I am completely confused about your minimum wage plan. How do you support enforcing the plan, and which plan are you sticking by?"

Concluding Statements
"America, we're at a crossroads. We can choose hatred, division, segregation, and war. Or we can choose hope, diplomacy, prosperity, and American unity. I am the only candidate on this stage to propose a detailed and responsible plan to end the war. I'm the only candidate who stands for a simpler, more progressive tax code and a true end to inflation through fed policy. I was the first populist in this race, and I'm still the only one who truly cares about the people. I stand here not because of some rich backers or extremists. I stand here because of you, because of the power of the people. Remember, I'm not running for reelection to the senate this cycle. I'm running as the peoples' candidate. I joined this race late, and have been absolutely humbled by the support of working Americans. I ask today that we stand together, white, black, male, female, to defeat demagoguery and hatred within our party and outside of it. Cast your ballot for a better future, not a divided one. Thank you all for your time, and God Bless the American people.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »

Fred Harris Endorsements

Fmr. Connecticut Governor John N. Dempsey

"As a Catholic, I know Fred Harris stands for my values. He stands for strong American families, and end to war, and an end to poverty. His great political savvy and penchant for getting things done sets him apart from the rest of the field. I'm supporting him and I hope you do too"
Activities: Dempsey will chair the Connecticut campaign and then organize in Rhode Island afterwards.

MI-15 Rep. William D. Ford

"I'm backing Senator Fred Harris because he's the best champion for unions in this field. I believe that Michigan has a lot to gain from President Fred Harris."
Activities: Ford will be organizing and barnstorming in Michigan, coordinating Detroit-area GOTV. After, he will attend to congressional duty.

California Senator Alan Cranston

"California, today I am endorsing a candidate for president. I said I'd hold off on this event, but it's more important than ever to lend my support to the clear best candidate in this race. Senator Fred Harris deserves your vote in the upcoming primary. He's fought for all Americans, from residents of inner cities to struggling farmers to veterans to suburban families. I think that in every corner of California, folks would be better off under Fred Harris than under Mayor Yorty, Senator Muskie, Senator McGovern, Rep. Udall, or Governor Wallace. I will be spending my next few weeks hard at work to help this good man win. He's a man of the people, not the special interests. I will be chairing his California campaign and working for an all out win."
Activities: Senator Cranston will be the California campaign chair. Notably, he will be organizing and fundraising for Fred Harris. He will take part in rallies across the state, along with making and running ads in support of Fred Harris. His persistent and powerful efforts will ensure a good showing in California.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 01:59:21 PM by VPH »

Fred Harris Shoots to Win
May 7
GOTV w/Jennings Randolph: Huntington, WV
GOTV w/Jennings Randiolph and rally about unions: South Charleston, WV
GOTV w/Jennings Randolph: Charleston, WV
Picketing with coal miners w/Chip Yablonski: Chapmanville, WV

"No other candidate stands for the unions like I do. That's why Miners for Democracy endorsed me, not Yorty, not Wallace, not McGovern or Muskie. The DC/large city establishment doesn't want to march. They don't want to mingle with people. Since I stand with the people, I cannot ignore them. I know the value and dignity of hard work that must be protected."

May 8
GOTV w/Jay Rockefeller: Beckley, WV
GOTV w/Jay Rockefeller: Weston, WV
GOTV w/Jennings Randolph: Morgantown, WV
Dinenr with local officials and union members: Wheeling, WV

May 9
Flight to New Haven, CT
GOTV: New Haven, CT
GOTV: Hartford, CT
Rally with Students for Harris at UConn: Storrs, CT

"As students, you all know exactly what we're tired of. We're tired of corruption, of rising prices, of violence at home and abroad. I will lower the cost of college and provide healthcare for all Americans while ending the war in Vietnam."

May 10
Flight to Baltimore, MD
Speech to local AFL-CIO branch: Baltimore, MD
GOTV: Baltimore, MD
GOTV: Frederick, MD

May 11
GOTV: Livonia, MI
GOTV: Southfield, MI
GOTV and rally with Students for Harris: Ann Arbor, MI
Town Hall: Ann Arbor, MI

May 12
GOTV and lunch with union workers: Flint, MI
Town Hall/Press Conference: Flint, MI
GOTV: Saginaw, MI
GOTV: Midland, MI

"Poverty is a big issue for me because I grew up poor. I didn't have a silver spoon, a gold spoon, or even a tin spoon. Some nights, we went to bed hungry. I want to make sure other Americans who are going through this can get help. This means simplifying the welfare system, ensuring educational access for all, and providing free healthcare. There's no excuse, America. We must continue the Democratic crusade against poverty."

May 13
Speech about the economy: Mt. Pleasant, MI
GOTV: Grand Rapids, MI
GOTV: Wyoming, MI
Town Hall: Muskegon, MI

"Under Nixon, the economy has slowed down. Prices are up and the US has a mounting trade imbalance. I will make the pointy headed fed bureaucrats keep prices down for Americans. Also, my investments into infrastructure, education, and the American worker will hit unemployment hard."

May 14
GOTV: Kalamazoo, MI
GOTV: Battle Creek, MI
Rally about inflation: Battle Creek, MI
GOTV: Jackson, MI

May 15
GOTV: Monroe, MI
Fundraiser: Taylor, MI
Ford Factory tour with workers: Dearborn, MI
GOTV: Dearborn, MI

May 16
GOTV: Hamtramck, MI
Speech to local Polish-American group: Detroit, MI
GOTV: Detroit, MI
Watch party with union workers/fundraiser: Detroit, MI

"Polish-Americans have made an undeniable contribution to our country through their hard work. I thank you all for your welcome tonight. I know, that as a populist, my platform best serves the working Polish-American community."

May 17
Fly to Providence, RI
Fundraising lunch: Pawtucket, RI
Appearing at local festival: Providence, RI
GOTV: Providence, RI

May 18
Rally about jobs: Providence, RI
GOTV: Providence, RI
GOTV: Cranston, RI
GOTV: Warwick, RI

"Unemployment climbs again! Nixon won't act to fix this problem. However, I will. I'm calling for an end to the war, a simpler and fairer tax code, and cuts in government inefficiencies. Some of the money saved and raised will provide for a major infrastructure plan that will invest in cities like Providence and create millions of jobs."

May 19
GOTV: Bristol, RI
GOTV and press conference: Newport, RI
Fundraiser: Newport, RI
GOTV: South Kingston, RI

May 20
GOTV w/Phillip Berrigan at Brown University: Providence, RI
Lunch with local Portuguese-American group: Providence, RI
GOTV: Woonsocket, RI
Flight to Portland, OR

May 21
GOTV: Portland, OR
Rally about Vietnam: Portland, OR
GOTV: Salem, OR
Rally about Vietnam: Eugene, OR

May 22
GOTV: Eugene, OR
GOTV/Town Hall: Bend, OR
GOTV: Portland, OR
GOTV: Medford, OR

VOTER: "What sets you apart from Senator George McGovern?"
Harris: "My plans are more fleshed out and make more sense, plain and simple. We will negotiate a peace that ensures that POW's come home, and that there won't be a power vacuum in Southeast Asia. I also have concrete plans to reform the economy on a large scale so it's made for the people, not Wall Street."

May 23
Meeting voters: Eureka, CA
Meeting Students for Harris at UC Berkeley: Berkeley, CA
Meeting voters: San Francisco, CA
Fundraising dinner w/Alan Cranston: San Francisco, CA
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 10:35:37 AM by VPH »

Response to Sam Yorty
"Sam, I don't think you know how to listen. I just made it clear as day. On a personal level, I support it. On a governmental level, as I have repeated just about every day on the trail, I think there are better ways to go about integrating. I denied being in favor of forced government integration, which was your accusation, because I've never supported forced government integration. My campaign's been about the people, and keeping with that is the consistent stance I've held on busing.You're lying. You know it, and America knows it too. How about you tell me why you have such a terrible record of supporting Democrats? You seem to like Nixon an awful lot."

Response to Fred Harris

Since Senator Harris wants to distract you from his flip-flopping, I'll get this out of the way quickly first. It's true that I haven't always supported Democrats in the past. Did I once support Nixon? Yes, I did, but we all know how much of a disaster he is now, so I regret that. What my record does show is a strong history of independence. Like I've said, I'm not beholden to one party or one person on everything. I've always been very open about my record and I've never lied about it.

Meanwhile, you're lying right in front of millions of Americans watching, Fred. During our last debate, you said that you "stand firmly behind the policy of busing"--AKA, forced government integration. You also said this: "If we allow our children to continue in de facto segregation without busing, how will we repair frayed race relations?" That has none of the nuance that you're talking about tonight. You've been shifting on this issue like seawater, and it should be clear after tonight that you're not for the people. You're just another politician. You should be ashamed of yourself.

"More lies. I stand personally behind busing. That's my personal opinion. You have yours and I have mine. You know what I mean. Nowhere did I say the government should force busing. You obviously didn't listen to my most recent speech, where I specifically said that the people should decide at the end of the day. I would prefer busing, but as I have said over and over, it's the peoples' choice and there needs to be more evidence. That's compatible with everything I have said and it's consistent. I apologize for not making my consistent stance clear enough in the first debate. It's been the same, but you, Sam, have mischaracterized my statements, lied, and doubled down on your race baiting. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. I'm not calling for the senseless continuation of a war which has taken thousands upon thousands of young American lives. How can you in good faith turn to their families and proclaim your support for the Vietnam war? It's inhumane and revolting. Mayor Yorty, you call for peace in the streets, but you turned to the people of LA and did nothing about the riots in your streets. You did nothing to stop the crime. You represent the lies, treachery, and opportunism of the professional political class. You've been a politician first and foremost for over 25 years, and you act like America was born yesterday. Cut it out with the lies. I'm no career politician. I fought, as a lawyer, for the people. I've been a lifelong populist Democrat and I'm damn proud of it."
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »

Fred Harris Ad-The Populist Choice (TV)

*Images of Fred Harris talking to various groups of voters: women, college kids, union workers, Black Americans, troops*

"The American people are constantly ignored by the establishment class. It's time for a political change in this country. The tide must turn in the direction of the common man. I know what it's like. I grew up poor on the Oklahoma prairie and had work my way up. Like millions of Americans, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Hell, I wasn't even born with a tin spoon in my mouth. Privilege is the problem, and there's no place we see more of it than corporate governance. The Wall Street-DC pipeline needs to close. I will end the tax loopholes for Wall Street and provide healthcare for all Americans. Working Americans struggle under the shackles of rising prices and rising unemployment. My plans will keep prices down and deliver jobs for the American people. I'm tired of the same voices in Washington. People who've been in politics since the 1930's have no right to call themselves outsiders. I've been in congress less than 10 years, and already I'm leaving to fight for you on a platform that we can take America back from the special interest corruption. Let's win this battle."

Paid for with: Money raised from a nationwide mailer
Airing in:
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 02:00:50 PM by VPH »

FRED HARRIS FILES FOR NEW YORK
Previous Harris Endorsers
Benjamin Smith: Fmr. Sen. Smith will conduct Connecticut GOTV. After, he'll head to Oregon to work on turning out anti-war voters for Harris.
Kevin White: Mayor White will conduct some GOTV and fundraising in Connecticut and Rhode Island.
Louis Stokes: Rep. Stokes will organize black voters in Flint, Detroit and Baltimore. He will then fundraise for Fred Harris.
Joseph Clark: Fmr. Senator Clark will do GOTV in West Virginia and then go to Kentucky to organize and fundraise.
Frank G. Clement: Fmr. Gov. Clement will be doing GOTV in West Virginia, and following that will do a speaking/organizing tour of Kentucky.
John Brademas: Rep. Brademas will be meeting voters in Michigan for the first week and doing congressional duty the second week.
Patsy Mink: Rep. Mink will do GOTV in Olympia and Spokane Washington, and then transition to Eugene and Portland Oregon afterwards.
Chip Yablonski: Yablonski will turn out the miner vote in West Virginia for Fred Harris. Afterward, he'l be in Kentucky drumming up support and meeting with miners.
Henry Howell: Lt. Gov. Howell will do some GOTV in West Virginia and then conduct fundraising and GOTV in Maryland.
LaDonna Harris (wife)Sad Fred Harris' wife will be meeting voters in Oregon and Washington and talking especially to anti-war voters.
Robert Kastenmeier: Rep. Kastenmeier will attend to congressional duties and help with fundraising and GOTV in Maryland.
Bill Clay: Rep. Clay will conduct GOTV in Michigan cities. Afterwards, he'll conduct some fundraising in the DC area.
Frank Morrison: Fmr. Gov. Morrison will oversee and chair the Nebraska campaign, especially GOTV. After Nebraska, he will go to western New York to organize.
Jay Rockefeller: SoS Rockefeller will do GOTV in West Virginia until the primary and then help with GOTV in rural Michigan. Afterwards he'll be home at work.
Dave Obey: Rep. Obey will attend to congressional duties and do some GOTV in Maryland. After, he'll be doing GOTV in Seattle.
Ross Bass: Fmr. Gov. Bass will help with GOTV in rural Nebraska. After, he'll be in Arkansas meeting voters and organizing volunteers.
Ernest Gruening: Gruening will be in charge of GOTV in Washington. Afterwards, he'll spend time in Northern California organizing voters, fundraising, and giving speeches.
Claude Pepper: Rep. Pepper will conduct an anti-communist foreign policy speaking tour in West Virginia. Then, he will do the same in rural Western Maryland and Kentucky.
Jesse Jackson: As Black Outreach Coordinator, Rev. Jackson will split these weeks between outreach to black voters in Omaha, Hartford, Detroit, Flint, and Baltimore. After, he will go to Los Angeles and Oakland and organize Black voters.
Henry Maier: Mayor Maier will spend time in Omaha and Lincoln Nebraska doing GOTV. Afterwards, he'll help run a mailer for fundraising.
Mike Monroney: Fmr. Sen. Monroney will do GOTV in Nebraska. Afterwards, he'll take up a role as joint Texas-Oklahoma campaign chair.
Bill Roy: Rep. Roy will help with GOTV in Omaha and Lincoln. After, he will spend some time in Texas organizing, and then go back to congress.
J. William Fulbright: Sen. Fulbright will help with GOTV in West Virginia. Afterwards, he'll be chairing the Arkansas campaign and doing major organizing and fundraising.
Phillip Berrigan: Fr. Berrigan will help do GOTV and mobilize students at Michigan, Michigan State, UConn, Oregon, and Brown.
Jennings Randolph: Sen. Randolph will be in charge of West Virginia turnout expansion efforts. Then, he'll spend a week in Maryland organizing and doing GOTV. After, he'll go back to congress.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »

Okay, then. If we're supposed to take what you just said at face value, then why did you say only a week or two ago that busing is inefficient and we shouldn't bother pushing it? Now you say that you're behind busing but it's up to the people. Again, more and more tweaking on this issue. You can't seem to take one consistent stance on this on the campaign trail, and I think that's telling. If you really do personally support busing, great! But don't pretend that you haven't been all over the place in public, because you're doing a poor job of covering it up. So, Fred, why should voters trust you as a person of integrity if you're President?

Also, you attack me for my support of the Vietnam War, but let's make it clear that I DON'T support how this war has gone on. There's absolutely no strategy to what they're doing now, so of course they'll lead to failure. I've made my plans for Vietnam clear, and I'm confident that we'll win within a year under a new direction. You just call for withdrawing and declaring no victory while Vietnam goes red and the Soviets are more emboldened. That's a foreign policy of defeatism, and the communists will only gain strength in the years to come because of your actions. Try to explain that to the American people if you're in the White House.

Finally, I stand behind my actions as mayor. Los Angeles grew tremendously during my time and it's now of the major cities of the country. You single me out for riots, but riots happened all across the country in the Sixties, and we diffused the situation before the city went into complete anarchy. We need to get tough on criminals, and that's what I'll do as President. You, Senator Harris, may think of yourself as a populist and an outsider, but your record says otherwise. You chaired the DNC, you were almost Hubert Humphrey's running mate four years ago, and you've settled in quite well to the cabal of insiders that we call the Senate. I haven't been in Washington for almost 20 years and I never looked back when I left. I've been outside the system doing good work in Los Angeles. You're just another Washington establishment candidate, and I trust that the voters will see through your act.

OTL: I love these exchanges. I feel like it's probably enough though.

"Yeah. I said it. I like busing personally but as I have repeated so many times, there are better methods for integration. That message was echoed again tonight. I'm sure Rep. Udall and Sen. McGovern and Muskie heard me just fine, but I don't know why it's not going across to you. You say I lack integrity, but I've been saying the same thing as I always have been. My message is about the people and efficiency. Busing isn't the only issue on this campaign.

The war just isn't working and I don't see it working with your strategy either. We need to bring an end to the war and use our international standing to negotiate a tough peace, bring our POW's home, and monitoring the situation to prevent a power vacuum. Those on the left, like Representative Udall and Senator McGovern don't have responsible plans. Their plans would lead to a power vacuum, but mine is sensible. That's what I call responsibility. There are so many issues here at home, and I don't see why anybody would want to ignore those by continuing the war. Especially seeing as to how your rhetoric against crime doesn't stack up against your failed record.

I sure did chair the DNC, and I'm proud of that. You know what we got from that time? We got the very delegate selection rules that allow candidates yourself to gain traction. Working with the clever Senator McGovern, we got a truly democratic process where Democrats across the country get a say in the primary process. That right there is an example of democratizing an institution. Trust me, the establishment figures in Hubert Humphrey and Edmund Muskie sure weren't happy when I helped rewrite the rules. Trust me, if I was settled with the insiders, I'd have stayed in the senate. I didn't have to give that all up, but I did. For the working families of America. I'm not a lifelong politician. I worked my way up from poverty, and it's frankly insulting that you, a career politician since the 1930's, call me a member of the establishment.

These squabbles could go on forever, but I'm sure the voters are tired of back and forth; let's hear from some of the other candidates!"

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies