Boy Scouts Lifts Ban on Gay Scout Leaders (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 02:58:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boy Scouts Lifts Ban on Gay Scout Leaders (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boy Scouts Lifts Ban on Gay Scout Leaders  (Read 2931 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: July 27, 2015, 09:35:30 PM »

God, wonder if my church will still charter my troop. Hope so???

The policy the BSA adopted allows for religious groups chartering troops to consider whether the adult leadership meets their own religious standards. They pretty much had to if they were going to keep some of the troops sponsored by conservative churches.
Ok, my troops sponsored by my personal church the Catholic Church, so we will be safe now. Thank God.

The Catholic Church's Scouting Committee supports the policy that was adopted.   

This is very good news, though I wish it had not been made under the cloud of litigation.  Still I am hopeful that troops will be welcoming, as many are already in spite of the official policy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:24:44 AM »

As an Eagle Scout, I am pleased to hear this! However, we still need to have a conversation about the restrictions on the non-religious and about dropping the B from BSA.
If they dropped the B I'm out.

Separating based on gender is an antiquated concept and one that is being abandoned internationally. Two separate scouting organizations is unnecessary, inefficient, and the BSA is all too often dragging its feel into the ground whereas the GSA is much more inline with social values and embracing change. There is not one good reason to keep the organizations separated.

If you were to leave because the resources of the BSA were to no longer be an all boy's club, the organization would be a lot better off without you.  

So what if it is an "antiquated" concept?  That doesn't mean it isn't a good one.  There is room enough in this world for both organizations which are gender specific, and those which are gender integrated.  Whether you like it or not, male and female are still important social categories with often different developmental needs.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »

I don't know. I'm not a Scout, but the scouts in my country are mixed and (to my knowledge) are not a place of sex-crazed hedonistic debauchery. Obviously there are some times and places that sex is not a wise act (funerals, burning buildings, Buckingham Palace etc.) but glorified camping trips seems like fair game to me.

I would bet the parents of most of those campers would disagree. And without their support, there is no Scouts.

Also, it should be about something else. And once something becomes about chasing skirts, it's hard for it to be about anything else.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »

Developmental needs are relatively minimal, and can be easily dealt with outside the program.

Uh, what?  Boy Scouts is all about boy's development.  The needs of boys to learn how to be boys and men in successful and healthy ways are not "minimal."   If they don't get it at Boy Scouts, they will try to find it somewhere else.  Because it is a basic social need.

Interaction with girls will happen outside the program, won't it? 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies