Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:40:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues  (Read 7488 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 18, 2019, 02:00:12 AM »

A.nobody that bullies, sexually assaults or rapes is going to not do those things because of this ad
2.they did it because men don't change what products they use and their first shaving products are usually bought by mom and mom's buy into crap like this
III.obvious virtue signaling is obvious

but yes, some yahoos were triggered by it, they should be made fun of.  Enjoy your recreational outrage at their recreational outrage.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 02:30:20 AM »

A.nobody that bullies, sexually assaults or rapes is going to not do those things because of this ad

What the ad says is that parents should teach their kids that it's not OK to do all these things, or engage in sexist behavior.
Is that too much for your libertarian sensitivities?
The vast majority of parents do do that, those that don't won't be swayed by this ad.  It's weird that you guys think they would.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:39:25 AM »

These things aren't that prevalent in society.  A tiny fraction of us does the majority of crime.

cite - 1 % of the population accountable for 63% of all violent crime convictions

But even if you were right and most people were running around physically assualting each other, this ad still wouldn't do a damn thing to change that.  Keep ignoring that point if you want, I'll keep mentioning it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:17:51 AM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

Congratulations to you Joe and Gillette on your epic victory over toxic masculinity.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 05:14:17 AM »

my Google Fu tells me it was probably 2011 at a race in Zandvoort Netherlands
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's fairly obvious that they are trying something new.  They have to, they've lost a ton of market share in the last decade.  The issues, as I've said several times now, are that this won't do anything to stop the things you guys seem to think it will stop and that it's rather obvious virtue signaling for $s.  Does a little virtue signaling make a long history of being exactly what they're signaling against go away if it pisses off the...ahem...."right" people?  'cause that's what it looks like after this and Nike last year.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I'm just chillin' at work, can't sleep, have to pass the time some how.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:34:35 AM »

How does this work? "I accuse you of doing a lot of bad things because of your sex, and then I expect you to buy my stuff"?
nope, This ad isn't aimed at men, it's aimed at moms...like I said earlier, they know men don't change products if they do the job and they know moms buy their son's first shaving products, this kind of cheap crap works on moms.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »

How does this work? "I accuse you of doing a lot of bad things because of your sex, and then I expect you to buy my stuff"?
nope, This ad isn't aimed at men, it's aimed at moms...like I said earlier, they know men don't change products if they do the job and they know moms buy their son's first shaving products, this kind of cheap crap works on moms.

Thank God there are vigilant dads like you to protect their kids from such underhanded tactics.
Indeed (and we are legion) because I do the grocery shopping in my house.  'cause of my privilege and toxic masculinity obviously Wink  He'll use a disposable Bic when he needs it.  If he wants something better, he can buy it.  He just hit 17 and has just tinniest hint of a mustache, so it hasn't been an issue yet.  I'll let you know when that changes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »

Tell me you are good enough to refer to it to his face as his mustache, rather than common on its tininess? The first time I tried growing a mustache my lip hair was so light only my father barely and I mean barely recognized, and my mother never did. Probably for the best.

I don't know your son, but I suspect in his mind it's practically a Wyatt Earp mustache. Grin
I just noticed it last week, I have not mentioned it to him yet.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »

Kids need to be exposed to a culture that doesn’t embrace toxic masculinity. 
you think this ad was aimed at kids?  It seems to be aimed at people that think it's normal in America for a bunch of dads to stand around and watch two kids fight at a BBQ and chant "boys will be boys" (it's not).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 06:09:52 AM »

I can't wait for future commercial breaks that include Gillette telling me it's bad to teach my sons to be bullies, followed by BP telling us that throwing puppies off of over passes is wrong and ending with a somber ad from Honda explaining why shoving old ladies in front of buses is not a good use of free time.

We should all be thankfull giant corporations are here to sell us excellent products AND teach us the morals and values we need in today's high pressure world.  Roll Eyes  And remember, anybody that dares question this concept has been "triggered" by it.  We must insult anybody that dares question the moral authority of Wall Street.  Thank the LLC of your choice that fine folks like Badger, Joe and King T are here to protect the honor of Gillette.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 05:29:40 AM »

Um, not your hypothesis?

It is hysterical to watch conservatives, for all the yammering about liberal snowflakes, to get so triggered over the smallest threats to their hegemony.
thank you!  It is so brave to stand up and defend Gillette against all those so "triggered" by it.  Because you are DEFINITELY not triggered by them, no sir!  And anybody that thinks you are is crazy.   The advertisement/After School Special got MILLIONS of dislikes dontchaknow?  And we all just know that those people went and encouraged their sons to go out raping in response to it, because there is no way anybody could have a "complex opinions that aren't 100% black and white" on it, that would be insane, right King T?  How could anybody be against the most obvious virtue signaling since Nike's Kapperneck advertisements?  If big companies aren't going to tell us how to be good people, who is?  Our parents?  Oh right, THEY'RE THE PROBLEM! ahahahahahaahah...wait, no, just the dad's, can't make fun of mom's that might "trigger" certain people, right Badger?

You aren't the hero trillion dollar companies (and moms) deserve, but you're the one they need.  Keep fighting the good fight sir.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 08:42:28 AM »

I'll be alright Joe, I have all you champions of capitalism here to tell me which advertisements I should use to teach me how to be a good person.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies