Israel general discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:43:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 228824 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: May 13, 2016, 04:34:27 AM »

Are there any places where I can look up polling since the last election? Wikipedia doesn't seem to have anything.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »

Israel needs to ask itself whether it wants to be the Soviets, or the Americans.
It should be neither of those. Israel should first and foremost be a Jewish state, and its laws regarding war and peace should be based on Jewish laws regarding law and peace.
Sounds like a theocracy

Israel needs to ask itself whether it wants to be the Soviets, or the Americans.
It should be neither of those. Israel should first and foremost be a Jewish state, and its laws regarding war and peace should be based on Jewish laws regarding law and peace.

Basing a country's laws and values on a system conceived by people 3000 years ago doesn't sound very healthy. The human society advanced a lot since then in values and morals, and there's no reason the people of the book shouldn't be civilized. In fact, the people of the book should strive to be more civilized than most.

Your game is weak. DavidB hits the nail on the head here. It's like some people forget how to argue when their opponent rejects a 'liberal' premise.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »

The theocracy is inevitable as the Haredi are the only ones actually having kids Sad

It's too bad that the secular right would rather be in bed with the ultraorthodox wing for their own goals rather than work with the centre/centre-left in order to maintain secularism.

Nah. There are a number of trends which I believe will counter that- Haredi youths are secularizing and leaving their sect in record numbers with the help of the information revolution,

That's very interesting if true. Do you have any links/stats to support your thesis?

I'm a tad skeptical of Haredi decline (as opposed to US Evangelical decline) since their birth rates are so high (6+ births per women vs 2ish for non-Haredi I think). If the Haredi share of the population shrunk, that would imply a terrible retention rate, like sub 50%. That seems too low.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »

The theocracy is inevitable as the Haredi are the only ones actually having kids Sad

It's too bad that the secular right would rather be in bed with the ultraorthodox wing for their own goals rather than work with the centre/centre-left in order to maintain secularism.

Is the secular right actually that secular.? I thought a lot of Likud support came from non-ultraorthodox, but still religious Jews. Am I mistaken?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »

The original post on Israeli was excellent Vosem. We need more stuff like that on the forum.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:10 PM »

Dumb question: how hard is it to tell Ashkenazi and Sephardic people apart? Is it really obvious to the eye, or would you need to listen to their accent or ask them directly to know?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »

Statistics about birth rates in Israel are always iffy because they are so politically charged, but I found this article to be quite informative. It's definitely not just Arabs and Haredim (whose birthrate has actually declined over the previous decades, rapidly in the first case).

Thanks for this – it's a great article.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 07:06:34 PM »

Absolutely. Its blasphemous.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies