Did Rome have better governments during the Republic? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:19:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Did Rome have better governments during the Republic? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Rome have better governments during the Republic?  (Read 1128 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« on: September 09, 2020, 03:32:37 PM »

Currently listening to the History of Rome podcast. In the middle of the 2nd Punic War at present.

That there were 2 counsels and this setup worked kind of stuns me.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 08:36:09 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2020, 08:41:15 PM by StateBoiler »

Currently listening to the History of Rome podcast. In the middle of the 2nd Punic War at present.

That there were 2 counsels and this setup worked kind of stuns me.

Sometimes it did and sometimes it... really didn’t. Polybius’ account of the Battle of Cannae is a good example of the latter (although beware authorial bias as per).

Duncan is talking about Cannae in The History of Rome about how the 2 counsels disagreed on what to do that there were 1 of 2 solutions - each counsel gets half the army or they alternated days of control, which they did at Cannae. He stated that as what they did and granted it was spoiled to me it was Rome's greatest ever military defeat but upon hearing "alternating days of control" I instantly thought "holy sh**t, what an incredibly awful idea".

Still, this counsel system even up from the end of the Kingdom until Cannae had lasted longer than the United States of America has now been in existence. It just amazes me it didn't create civil wars every 15 to 20 years through competition for control.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 11:25:27 AM »

It lasted for over 450 years so I've always been of the opinion that, doomed or not, it had a better run than most countries or systems of government get.

The French are on their 5th attempt at a democratic republic in contrast.

To answer buritobr: "This too shall pass."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies