So will any other Hillary supporters be voting for McCain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:06:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  So will any other Hillary supporters be voting for McCain?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: So will any other Hillary supporters be voting for McCain?  (Read 6956 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »

Thank you for your answer.  Respectfully, I think all candidates think that they are "better than everyone else" in what they plan to deliver.  I think that the perception that one candidate feels himself or herself "superior" is mostly connected to a fundamental dislike of them.  I often feel that way about Clinton.  I don't think that's really fair.

I do want to look into this more though.  In the end, I don't think Obama has a particularly extensive pattern of disingenuous behavior.  I don't see how you can see this as a big deal but not something like Clinton's Serbia trip.  They seem, at best, in the same league.  I don't really remember a Presidential candidate who didn't have at least a few of these quirks and manipulations.

I do hope someone asks him about it, though.  It warrants a response.  It won't be the basis of my vote, but it doesn't make me think any better of Senator Obama.

You're probably right.  I am a bit biased because I was a Hillary supporter and now I'm a McCain supporter.  But I think this irks me because as someone who just finished law school, I know how rigorous the character and fitness process is to pass the bar, and they specifically look into issues about lying about former employment.  I agree that Hillary lied about the Serbia trip though.  At the end of the day we're all going to just vote on the issues and our gut feeling of the candidates though.

You did vote for Obama in February.

How can you vote for someone that would basically reward everything that Bush has done in the past 8 years, let alone the regressive direction of the country for the past generation? Who is against everything that both Hillary and Obama stand for? Has the primary turned you off that much? You do realize that if McCain had been in a primary like that you probably would have discovered all sorts of outrageous things you couldn't stand about him, right?

Yes, I realize the reason I am voting for McCain is partially because of a heated Democratic Primary.  But it's not like I didn't give Barack Obama a shot, which is more than I can say for many of his supporters - certain groups in particular - for Hillary.  The fact is though, that I've grown tired of Obama and speech after meaningless speech when he is just like every other fake politician.  At least Hillary Clinton doesn't pretend she's not a political fake to the extent Obama does.

I think you're also forgetting how heated the Republican Primary was between McCain and Romney.  I was really turned off from that too.  But mostly by Romney.  If it was Romney vs. Obama, I would begrudgingly pull the lever for Obama.  But McCain is a Republican I find completely acceptable. 

As for the Bush policies.  I don't really have the same interests as hardcore Democrats as I'm a registered Independent.  I never liked Bush, I voted for Nader in 2000 and then Kerry in 2004.  However, I don't like Obama either.  And it's not like I don't have my own policy reasons for being against Obama.  Obama will raise my taxes, which is a huge issue for me.  Obama considers my starting legal salary to be "rich" but I don't see it that way because I have $150,000 in law school debt to pay off and I'm likely not to stay in a big firm where I will keep that salary for terribly long.  So voting for Obama would increase my taxes to a level that would make paying back loans difficult, especially in a high cost of living city.  Hillary would have done this too, but not as badly as Obama.  McCain is a moderate on issues like the environment, campaign reform, etc.  So he is a better choice than Obama to me.  I don't think it's a complete turn.  Clinton was to the right of Obama to begin with.

You mention both Clinton & Obama would have raised your taxes, so your starting salary is going to be over $250,000???    McCain is a bit moderate on the environment and was somewhat on campaign reform, but he is even trying to skirt his own law(McCain-Feingold) so I don't exactly know how moderate that really is.  You say etc, well what other issues do you see McCain as being moderate on??

They have changed their campaign pledges a lot, but generally Hillary will make the limit higher.  My starting salary will be $195,000 most likely, depending on bonus.  McCain is a bit more moderate on the environment, taxes, judges (despite his recent rhetoric), civil rights like gay marriage, etc. - he will definitely not be a repeat of Bush.  I could care less about abortion and gun control so I'm not concerned about his policy differences there. 

Well with your starting salary your taxes will not be raised under Obama.  The Bush tax cuts Obama will repeal are those making $250,000.  Now what you might be thinking in regards to the $150,000 figure was Obama's payroll tax plan which would cut payroll taxes by $500 per person and $1,000 per family and be phased out for those making over $150,000.   But those he would raise the taxes on would be as a result of repealing the Bush tax cuts on those making over $250,000 NOT $150,000.

As far as taxes and judges McCain really isn't more moderate than Bush on, he WAS keyword there is was, but isn't anymore and is a carbon copy of Bush.  He is even more pro-Iraq than Bush (basically Cheney level) and has done as much and if not more saber rattling on Iran than the administration has.  This is not the same John McCain who ran for President in 2000. 
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »

Thank you for your answer.  Respectfully, I think all candidates think that they are "better than everyone else" in what they plan to deliver.  I think that the perception that one candidate feels himself or herself "superior" is mostly connected to a fundamental dislike of them.  I often feel that way about Clinton.  I don't think that's really fair.

I do want to look into this more though.  In the end, I don't think Obama has a particularly extensive pattern of disingenuous behavior.  I don't see how you can see this as a big deal but not something like Clinton's Serbia trip.  They seem, at best, in the same league.  I don't really remember a Presidential candidate who didn't have at least a few of these quirks and manipulations.

I do hope someone asks him about it, though.  It warrants a response.  It won't be the basis of my vote, but it doesn't make me think any better of Senator Obama.

You're probably right.  I am a bit biased because I was a Hillary supporter and now I'm a McCain supporter.  But I think this irks me because as someone who just finished law school, I know how rigorous the character and fitness process is to pass the bar, and they specifically look into issues about lying about former employment.  I agree that Hillary lied about the Serbia trip though.  At the end of the day we're all going to just vote on the issues and our gut feeling of the candidates though.

How can you vote for someone that would basically reward everything that Bush has done in the past 8 years, let alone the regressive direction of the country for the past generation? Who is against everything that both Hillary and Obama stand for? Has the primary turned you off that much? You do realize that if McCain had been in a primary like that you probably would have discovered all sorts of outrageous things you couldn't stand about him, right?

Yes, I realize the reason I am voting for McCain is partially because of a heated Democratic Primary.  But it's not like I didn't give Barack Obama a shot, which is more than I can say for many of his supporters - certain groups in particular - for Hillary.  The fact is though, that I've grown tired of Obama and speech after meaningless speech when he is just like every other fake politician.  At least Hillary Clinton doesn't pretend she's not a political fake to the extent Obama does.

I think you're also forgetting how heated the Republican Primary was between McCain and Romney.  I was really turned off from that too.  But mostly by Romney.  If it was Romney vs. Obama, I would begrudgingly pull the lever for Obama.  But McCain is a Republican I find completely acceptable. 

As for the Bush policies.  I don't really have the same interests as hardcore Democrats as I'm a registered Independent.  I never liked Bush, I voted for Nader in 2000 and then Kerry in 2004.  However, I don't like Obama either.  And it's not like I don't have my own policy reasons for being against Obama.  Obama will raise my taxes, which is a huge issue for me.  Obama considers my starting legal salary to be "rich" but I don't see it that way because I have $150,000 in law school debt to pay off and I'm likely not to stay in a big firm where I will keep that salary for terribly long.  So voting for Obama would increase my taxes to a level that would make paying back loans difficult, especially in a high cost of living city.  Hillary would have done this too, but not as badly as Obama.  McCain is a moderate on issues like the environment, campaign reform, etc.  So he is a better choice than Obama to me.  I don't think it's a complete turn.  Clinton was to the right of Obama to begin with.

You mention both Clinton & Obama would have raised your taxes, so your starting salary is going to be over $250,000???    McCain is a bit moderate on the environment and was somewhat on campaign reform, but he is even trying to skirt his own law(McCain-Feingold) so I don't exactly know how moderate that really is.  You say etc, well what other issues do you see McCain as being moderate on??

They have changed their campaign pledges a lot, but generally Hillary will make the limit higher.  My starting salary will be $195,000 most likely, depending on bonus.  McCain is a bit more moderate on the environment, taxes, judges (despite his recent rhetoric), civil rights like gay marriage, etc. - he will definitely not be a repeat of Bush.  I could care less about abortion and gun control so I'm not concerned about his policy differences there. 

Well with your starting salary your taxes will not be raised under Obama.  The Bush tax cuts Obama will repeal are those making $250,000.  Now what you might be thinking in regards to the $150,000 figure was Obama's payroll tax plan which would cut payroll taxes by $500 per person and $1,000 per family and be phased out for those making over $150,000.   But those he would raise the taxes on would be as a result of repealing the Bush tax cuts on those making over $250,000 NOT $150,000.

As far as taxes and judges McCain really isn't more moderate than Bush on, he WAS keyword there is was, but isn't anymore and is a carbon copy of Bush.  He is even more pro-Iraq than Bush (basically Cheney level) and has done as much and if not more saber rattling on Iran than the administration has.  This is not the same John McCain who ran for President in 2000. 

LOL @ John McCain being more Pro-Iraq War than the guy who invaded Iraq. 

Obama is trying to change his original position on the tax hike because he realized that it would be unpopular.  There had been a lot of analysis done by law students who were working for big firms and generally they all agreed that his original tax hike plan would raise starting taxes nearly $20K or so.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2008, 08:28:13 PM »

LOL @ John McCain being more Pro-Iraq War than the guy who invaded Iraq. 

Obama is trying to change his original position on the tax hike because he realized that it would be unpopular.  There had been a lot of analysis done by law students who were working for big firms and generally they all agreed that his original tax hike plan would raise starting taxes nearly $20K or so.

Have you seen McCain's rhetoric on the war in Iraq?Huh

as far as Obama's tax plan, you are either very confused (perhaps some people have confused you and led you to believe things that aren't true) or are just making things up.  Obama's tax plan is basically the same as the one he released on September 18th.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies