Greenland 2021 General Election; 6 April (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:34:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greenland 2021 General Election; 6 April (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Greenland 2021 General Election; 6 April  (Read 1970 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: April 14, 2021, 06:28:12 PM »

I always find it weird that Greenland’s major parties are pro-independence yet no moves towards independence ever seem to happen, unlike say Scotland or Catalonia. There also doesn’t seem to be much of a unionist movement in Greenland unlike the other two (unionists won 5/31 seats in this election).

Indpendence is very popular but not really viable, so it's like the Brexit except the Greenlandic politician have just more common sense than the British ones, also if push came to shove, I'm not sure the population would vote in favor. Greenland is much more obvious dependent on Denmark, and while many Greenlanders are not happy with Copenhagen the alternative would be Washington paying the bills. 
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 06:30:44 PM »

I always find it weird that Greenland’s major parties are pro-independence yet no moves towards independence ever seem to happen, unlike say Scotland or Catalonia. There also doesn’t seem to be much of a unionist movement in Greenland unlike the other two (unionists won 5/31 seats in this election).

Since there's now a majority for independence without Siumut (who I understand have been more tepid in their pro-independence position than Inuit Ataqatigiit or Naleraq), I think for the first time, is it possible this election sets independence in motion?

Not really, IA have been out and say they want close cooperation with Copenhagen, Trump was really good for the union.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies