DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:55:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 270206 times)
Omolloy
Rookie
« on: January 06, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »

Every single Republican needs to do a lot of soul searching. You’re all literally fascist enablers.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:16:35 PM »

Alright, mods: how exactly am I "trolling" by saying that it's unfair to paint the protestors with a broad brush? How is it "trolling" to express support for protestors, irrespective of whether or not you agree with me?

There definitely is mod bias on this board.

Attempting to play devil's advocate about a fascist coup is genuinely pathetic. They're not protesters, they're terrorists.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »

The most terrifying thing is that this does not end on January 20th. Trump will be out of office by then, if not before, but there's still tens of millions of deranged Trumpists still out there. The hatred and violence sown across the country won't be be going anywhere anytime soon.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »

If you live in a reliably blue state, now would be the time to make yourself available to your state’s Army National Guard. F#%k these fascist punks up when they try to start sh**t in your state. If you don’t fancy that option, join a pro-democracy militia. Even if it’s something as simple as cooking food or operating radios, now’s the time to get involved before the fascists attempt to take over the country.

If people do want to take this sort of action, I feel like militias are probably a better route than any National Guard. I don't think any police or state institutions can be trusted to actually act. Just look at the completely anemic response occurring right this second.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:54 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

There's no such thing as a decent Republican, even if they believe themselves to be a 'Never Trump' Republican. The entire party is complicit by this point, there's no supporting any Republican without supporting Trumpism. These people don't have to become lefties and liberals, but no matter your political outlook, you can't have a shred of decency and still believe you can find a home in the Republican party.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 05:20:25 PM »

Y'all probably already saw this but Rep. Cori Bush is calling for the expulsion of the "coup caucus"

They deserve it. But practically, it cannot and should not ever happen. Because it will lead to more strife and more pain, as the crazies will see nothing but the "radical left" persecuting true patriots or some garbage. And so those fools Cruz and Hawley who helped pry open this Pandora's Box of insanity will get off scot free and can adjust their public image accordingly after the fact.

It's horrible.

These crazy will see the "radical left" persecuting true patriots no matter what happens. All it took for them to assault the government was a fair and free election that didn't go their way. There's zero point in trying to pander to these people, they will just see what they want to see. They're the same people who think Joe Biden of all people is a radical leftist.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »

Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 05:28:45 PM »

I’m so relieved that I didn’t give in to the temptations I had multiple times during the last year to vote for Trump .

He’s such a terrible human being , and I would have felt guilty  it for a long long time if I had done so , so I’m so relieved that I refused to vote for the guy

Wow, you’re so brave. You heard the President talk and act like a fascist for four years and you courageously decided at the last second not to vote for him. I hope you get a medal of freedom.

I think I agree. Of course it's good thing that (some) Republicans are finally rejecting Trump, but if they could stomach all the racism, and the misogyny, as well as all of his prior conspiracy theories and attacks on democracy, but solely draw their line at a coup, that doesn't speak much to one's character. This hasn't come out of nowhere, it's the culmination of Trump's behaviour over this entire 4 year period.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 05:32:02 PM »

BASED Ralph Northam has totally made up for that whole yearbook thing now. He said “Jurisdiction? LOL no, my National Guard is marching on DC anyway.”

Can’t believe the Governor of Virginia who apparently maybe once dressed up as a Klansman is now the based defender of American democracy for ordering state troops into DC, but here we are.

How exactly does jurisdiction work here? It was of course the right decision, but I wonder what the legal mechanism actually is for the Virginia National Guard to intervene outside of their state.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 05:37:28 PM »

I’m so relieved that I didn’t give in to the temptations I had multiple times during the last year to vote for Trump .

He’s such a terrible human being , and I would have felt guilty  it for a long long time if I had done so , so I’m so relieved that I refused to vote for the guy

Wow, you’re so brave. You heard the President talk and act like a fascist for four years and you courageously decided at the last second not to vote for him. I hope you get a medal of freedom.

You have been here for long enough to know that I never became a Trump supporter   at any time during his presidency.

I just said I was tempted to at many times , but am relieved that I didn’t

I understand not wanting to vote Democrat, or voting third party, but to even be tempted to vote for Trump is still absolutely crazy. Again, it's not as if the events of today came out of nowhere.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 05:48:06 PM »

I'm unfortunately not convinced that she would have been held hostage for long.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 06:16:05 PM »

Many left-wing twitter users are saying it's the real face of America.
They consider it as the worst country ever in the history of mankind.
Their solution is f America to be dismantled, forgotten, erased forever.

Some leftifts’ hatred for the country is distressing

Silence Republican.

This country is broken and only by acknowledging it is anything going to change.

No, I’m not a Republican but I still love my country and recognize the need for change. These people see the country as a lost cause and have no loyalty to it.

Denying that this is the real America is denying that deep systematic change is needed. Otherwise it is in fact a lost cause.

Biden is right, this is not what America is. The idea that this is who we are is akin to giving up

Biden does not deserve to be president then. He will not be getting my vote as he's making it crystal clear he has no intention of changing anything. He chooses to live in the fantasy world centrists have crafted where all is good and the system works only a few people are causing all the trouble. I will not put my support behind that sort of willful ignorance.

A belief in what America stands for means he won’t do anything?

You are just making things up, he has never once indicated that he has no intention of changing anything. Also, the election has already happened, so why don’t you just wait and see what he does

"This isn't who we are" is nothing more than sugar coating "we don't need to improve" because it brushes aside systematic problems for meaningless feel good garbage. Only by acknowledging this is what we are as a country can you work on improving.

I never understand the "This isn't who we are!!" crowd, and similarly, people who claim things like "You can be an American or a fascist but not both!". Like, people shouldn't be fascists, period. There's no American exceptionalism here.

There's nothing that 'America' stands for, it's a diverse country of 328 million people, and most of the principles people claim are inherent to the United States rarely turn out to be so in practice. The hypocrisy of slave owners declaring that "all men are created equal" is echoed across American history.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 06:42:05 PM »

When I see footage of that lady-protestor who was shot in the chest and is bleeding out, part of me definitely wants to jump through the screen and start administering aid.  Blood is blood, a wounded human is a wounded human.  

But there's definitely a "play stupid games..." side to it.  And I don't feel good about that.  

You’re a nice person
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies