Reasons for your political views
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:37:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Reasons for your political views
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Reasons for your political views  (Read 3548 times)
Kitteh
drj101
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »

The only correct answer.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »

that was kind of implied by natural disposition.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »

That was a very honest answer btw.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »

Oh come on!  The reasons are right there in your face: I have to go to work every day and I'm surrounded by other slaves.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »

For me, its mostly my belief in individualism. That can actually explain almost every one of my political viewpoints.

If I may add to that, I also believe that every individual gets the merit and reward that they work for. That's why I am strongly against income redistribution.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »

You're fifteen years old, right?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »

For me, its mostly my belief in individualism. That can actually explain almost every one of my political viewpoints.

If I may add to that, I also believe that every individual gets the merit and reward that they work for. That's why I am strongly against income redistribution.

Yeah, that is a nice but fanciful notion. You would be surprised at how much of what 'we' deem success boils down to luck, timing and being successful at playing office politics.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 08:05:30 PM »

Yeah, that is a nice but fanciful notion. You would be surprised at how much of what 'we' deem success boils down to luck, timing and being successful at playing office politics.

Deemed for bad reasons though.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »

Check the color of his avatar.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 12:43:32 AM »

Bullies run in packs.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »

On social issues, I don't believe the government should really be interfering into what goes on between consenting individuals. What goes on behind closed bedroom doors is generally no business of the state. That's what shapes my views on abortion, gay rights, alcohol/drug laws, etc. And while I think minors should have rights and protections as well, they should be nearly absolute for adults. In other words, I believe a minor has a right to an abortion or a right to be gay, but I do believe there should be restrictions with respect to alcohol and drugs.

With respect to economic issues, I support a basic welfare state that provides for its citizens. I also support capitalism and free market innovations. However, I think it should be regulated to ensure worker rights and protections, including an adequate minimum wage. The welfare state should provide heavily for the neediest. For everyone, the government should provide universal single-payer healthcare, heavily subsidized or free college education, and Social Security. The government can also pick up the slack where the private sector is lacking, such as with the space program and renewable energy (for those, public-private partnerships are the best option).

When it comes to foreign affairs, I think the US should work within larger international organizations. That would include ending the military-industrial complex and substantially reducing defense spending. Military force should be reserved for absolute self-defense, imminent foreign aggression, and ally/treaty obligations. We need to stop being the world's police and take a more equal position among the other world powers.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »

Same here. Bu, I think my belief in individualism goes deeper than yours in some respects*.

The reason why I'm a leftist is this: I think there are factors besides the state and their regulations that can hamper the freedoms of individuals. These include, but are not limited to companies and religious groups.

*Not in a good or bad way- simply I think my individualism is broader in terms of its scope.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies