Affordable Care Act Exchanges Open!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:56:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Affordable Care Act Exchanges Open!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Affordable Care Act Exchanges Open!  (Read 5205 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-10-01/obamacare-exchanges-debut-with-websites-down-and-state-delays

Health Exchanges Debut With Websites Down, Delays

Typical of government IT project.  Of course the Romney 2012 Orca project was not better. 

Yeah because private sector websites have never had problems on the day they launch. Roll Eyes
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2013, 01:54:56 PM by jaichind »

I just tried to access the NY state health exchange since several years from now when I retire early I plan to scape a bunch of Obamacare subsidies so I wanted to look a more details on the plans available.  No workie ...

I work in IT and I have been involved in several big launches of products.  To have it not working hours after it went live is just a joke and had I allowed that as the manager of the group that did this I would have been fired years ago.  Of course a long standing joke in NY IT community is that if you want a below average programming job but do nothing at work, the best way is to be an IT person that works for the New York MTA.  The programmers that worked on this must be from the same pool of people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »

several years from now when I retire early I plan 

Come on, you're 13 years old.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 01:55:59 PM »

several years from now when I retire early I plan 

Come on, you're 13 years old.

Sorry. Not sure it is clear, I am 41.  I plan to retire when I am 45 once I finish building up my asset base. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »

Sorry. Not sure it is clear, I am 41.  I plan to retire when I am 45 once I finish building up my asset base.

Lazy, eh?
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »

Lazy, eh?

Might I ask what the personal attacks are for?
retromike22
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »

Remember election day 2012 when this forum didn't work?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »

Lazy, eh?

Might I ask what the personal attacks are for?

Coming from my that's a compliment!

Besides, I'm just trying to wheedle him for his hubris.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »

https://twitter.com/mpoindc/status/385130267033104384

2.8 million people have visited healthcare.gov since midnight. Almost 100k have called the toll free number.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »

Once again CTRattleSnake proves that American doctors refuse to live within their means like the rest of us.

I tried to create an account on healthcare.gov last night, but the drop-down menus for setting up Security Questions weren't working...I have yet to try again.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 04:56:56 PM »

What a coincidence that the Libertarian critic to the AFA is a med student and has a physician father, and the Libertarian critic to the AFA's website works in IT. We've got a lot of legitimate Libertarian professionals on our hands.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »

2.8 million people have visited healthcare.gov since midnight. Almost 100k have called the toll free number.

The high foot traffic is a clear indicator of how unpopular this thing is!!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »

The high foot traffic is a clear indicator of how unpopular this thing is!!

No, it's just another crappy gouvernment IT problem. Don't question our Libertarian computer wiz.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »

Lazy, eh?

Sorry to go off topic.  Yes, I am fairly lazy that is why I work hard to get to a stage where both my wife and I can not work and spend our time with our child and other non-work pursuits, including just doing nothing.  We are getting pretty close, and ironically, Obamacare which I detest actually will help as because my plans involve an allocation of my capital so we can actually capture Obamacare subsidies every other year and perhaps even every year during our retirement. 
America™
All For America
Rookie
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »

Legitimate question here: How is my generation expected to pay for the Affordable Care Act?

I am not necessarily for or against it, I just would like to know how it will be paid for. Not a single government site has given me a clear answer, so I figured to bring my question here.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »

I guess I should finally get some health insurance again. I hear premiums have fallen by 50% in NY.
America™
All For America
Rookie
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 06:04:44 PM »

Legitimate question here: How is my generation expected to pay for the Affordable Care Act?

I am not necessarily for or against it, I just would like to know how it will be paid for. Not a single government site has given me a clear answer, so I figured to bring my question here.

The same way everything else is paid for, troll.

Oh, well if it's that simple then why are the House Republicans trying to delay the Act?

Oh wait...something tells me you're incorrect.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 06:16:06 PM »

The same way everything else is paid for, troll.

Oh, well if it's that simple then why are the House Republicans trying to delay the Act?

Oh wait...something tells me you're incorrect.

You... don't think Republicans are kicking and screaming because the US allegedly can't pay for it, right? Right?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »

Lazy, eh?

Sorry to go off topic.  Yes, I am fairly lazy that is why I work hard to get to a stage where both my wife and I can not work and spend our time with our child and other non-work pursuits, including just doing nothing.  We are getting pretty close, and ironically, Obamacare which I detest actually will help as because my plans involve an allocation of my capital so we can actually capture Obamacare subsidies every other year and perhaps even every year during our retirement. 

You don't say.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »

The MNSure website was a bit delayed in getting up and running until this afternoon.  There were a great many options ranging in price from $105/month to $250/month.  But it was very easy to pick what kind of coverage you want and the process is intuitive.

I'd say MNSure will be a big success already offering the lowest price health plans on average in the nation.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »

NOBODY LIKES THIS BILL.  NOBODY KNOWS HOW IT WORKS.  NOBODY WANTS OBAMACARE.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2013, 08:11:32 PM »

I just tried to access the NY state health exchange since several years from now when I retire early I plan to scape a bunch of Obamacare subsidies so I wanted to look a more details on the plans available.  No workie ...

I work in IT and I have been involved in several big launches of products.  To have it not working hours after it went live is just a joke and had I allowed that as the manager of the group that did this I would have been fired years ago.  Of course a long standing joke in NY IT community is that if you want a below average programming job but do nothing at work, the best way is to be an IT person that works for the New York MTA.  The programmers that worked on this must be from the same pool of people.

Um, as previously pointed out, private sector high tech rollouts have glitches like this all the time.

See: "most PC games, pre-patch".
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »

Um, as previously pointed out, private sector high tech rollouts have glitches like this all the time.

See: "most PC games, pre-patch".

My attack is less about the initial glitch itself but the fact the system did not fail over and recover in a timely matter.  The NY state health exchange after so many hours is still down.   For example, companies like Netflix has something called chaos monkey which is a service which goes around taking down servers, storage or applications and the system should be able to recover quickly from them and continue service to customers.  Sounds like what took place here is some software was written which was not designed to be scale-able and has no fail-over logic.   Again, this is expected given the level of government competence relative the vastly more efficient private sector.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »

As someone who doesn't know much about insurance, I find the main site fairly easy to navigate and easy to understand.
t_host1

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »

<Random points>

I realize it is a first day of sale, and, Obama has illustrated today as so by comparison, as normal for a product roll out.

With little science, R&D and prototyping necessary for what is for the most part, a hypothetical bet were the house odds are hypothetical with the pit boss Sebelius having arbitration on your win or loss.

I have not seen yet, anyone with a policy in hand with a comment of what they bought; a receipt for themselves, guarantees of services, payments and information during future government shutdowns and insurrections.

Usually sales receipts are estimated on an opening day of a new product.

I‘m thinking the info and chief would of had a gathering of vary satisfied customers at a Frank Lund polling party citing accolade’s for Obama, even if it was one of his normally stage events.

</Random points for a normal product roll out with a unlimited, 3 year start up budget, as normal>
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies