Why do Blacks in the US talk differently than Whites ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:22:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do Blacks in the US talk differently than Whites ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do Blacks in the US talk differently than Whites ?  (Read 11740 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: July 23, 2013, 07:52:01 AM »

Yes, this thread got off track. Tender asked a question that may seem obvious to most Americans, but I think he was just curious. To suggest that Tender, particularly given his posting history, was asking it as a vehicle to demean blacks seems terribly unfair to me. I think he deserves an apology. Thank you.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:09:48 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2013, 12:21:50 PM by Torie »

Tender, on behalf of Link (because he won't obviously), I apologize for his hypersensitivity.  Such a reaction to racial issues is quintessentially American.

I'd honestly like an answer to my earlier question though.  I've always wondered about it.

The sort of causal racism that is accepted in America is what leads to unarmed black kids getting shot walking home from the store by "frightened" people.

Joe Republic, you are seriously saying it makes perfect sense someone who incessantly posts on the internet about the United States from a foreign country is just now finding out all Americans don't sound the same?  Are you honestly saying you think Michael Jackson, James Earl Jones, Collen Powell, and Barrack Obama sound the same?

Seriously I can take a black person from New York City, a white person from New York City, a white person from Dallas, and a black person from Dallas and the black and white person from New York will sound indistinguishable from each other and totally different than the black or white person from Dallas.

The forum never ceases to amaze.

Not to squirt lighter fluid on the flames, but I doubt Tender meant to suggest all blacks sound the same. Surely he does not believe that. What I think he was talking about was the stereotypical "black" accent that many particularly lower SES blacks have, that originated in the South. As a side note, many blacks in, for example,  Philly, are descended from blacks who were freed before the Civil War, or never lived in the South, and they have not had that stereotypical accent since well before the Civil War, if ever. West Indian blacks have an entirely different sounding accent by the way, and there are a lot of them on the Fruited Plain, with middle class West Indian blacks (and there are a lot of them too - they seem to do relatively well after they get off the boat/plane), often having a standard American accent, e.g. Colin Powell.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies