Why do Blacks in the US talk differently than Whites ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:25:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do Blacks in the US talk differently than Whites ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do Blacks in the US talk differently than Whites ?  (Read 11755 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: July 23, 2013, 04:57:03 AM »

Related question, non-trolling I promise:  What's with the word 'ask' being pronounced 'aks'?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »

Tender, on behalf of Link (because he won't obviously), I apologize for his hypersensitivity.  Such a reaction to racial issues is quintessentially American.

I'd honestly like an answer to my earlier question though.  I've always wondered about it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:51:40 AM »

Joe Republic, you are seriously saying it makes perfect sense someone who incessantly posts on the internet about the United States from a foreign country is just now finding out all Americans don't sound the same?

Yes, actually.  Duh.  He said himself that most American broadcasts he watches are dubbed into German.  Besides, it can be very difficult for somebody who isn't a native speaker of any language to distinguish between different dialects.  This really shouldn't be that difficult for you to grasp.

Are you honestly saying you think Michael Jackson, James Earl Jones, Collen Powell, and Barrack Obama sound the same?

If dubbed into German, or if heard by someone who probably doesn't hear English spoken very often, sure.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »

Joe Republic, you are seriously saying it makes perfect sense someone who incessantly posts on the internet about the United States from a foreign country is just now finding out all Americans don't sound the same?

Yes, actually.  Duh.  He said himself that most American broadcasts he watches are dubbed into German.  Besides, it can be very difficult for somebody who isn't a native speaker of any language to distinguish between different dialects.  This really shouldn't be that difficult for you to grasp.

Duh, indeed, Joe.  Not everyone sounds the same in Austria and Austria is far smaller and more homogenous than the United States.  Even if you have never heard someone from the US speak logic alone should tell you there is going to be a lot of diversity in accents and dialects.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viennese_German

You seem to be stating the obvious, but for no apparent reason.  We've been talking about stereotypical accents here.  TB was clearly talking about the differences between the standard American ('newsreader') accent and African-American Vernacular, in general terms.  The rest of us were able to grasp that, for the most part.

Are you honestly saying you think Michael Jackson, James Earl Jones, Collen Powell, and Barrack Obama sound the same?

If dubbed into German, or if heard by someone who probably doesn't hear English spoken very often, sure.

You've never been to a bar or club in Europe... or is this just trolling.  I have never heard Michael Jackson dubbed in German in Austria or anywhere else.  I'm not saying it couldn't happen but it didn't seem to be the norm in my experience.

Yes, I'm the troll here.  I'm the one who shat all over an otherwise decent and rational thread by throwing the 'H' word at someone from Austria, and was later compelled to apologize for that after being ridiculed by almost everybody else in the same thread.  Oh wait.

Look, it's really not that difficult.  To someone whose first language is not English, English can often sound the same.  Yes, I'm sure everybody knows that there are different accents and dialects, and that is often displayed by how difficult it is for the non-English listener to understand them.  For example, take a conversation between somebody from Ohio and somebody from Scotland, and see which one a person with only a basic grasp of English could understand better.  But the point is that I doubt many people with less than an expert understanding of spoken English could tell exactly where those two aforementioned people might be from.

You really don't need to be so incredulous that Michael Jackson sounded similar to any other English speaker, if heard by a non-native English speaker.  I'm sure anybody from anywhere could pick out Michael Jackson's voice just from the sound of it, but that's not to say that they could figure out that his dialect was any different from any other English speaker's.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies